The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Need employee advise  (Read 1569 times)

CaptainBob and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BradMarks

• Foresters are TREE-mendous
    • Share Post
    • Pacforest Supply
Re: Need employee advise
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »
Dewey:  I see your new post and obviously you have been compassionate about trying to help. You want to help but keep coming up empty. Bottom line is they are still kids, not everyone matures as fast as they age. And yes, missed work is the number one two reason for termination. Dishonesty would be number one in my book. Tough situation to be put in.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 01:10:24 PM »
   I think with the new information I'd tell him to get counseling and leave the lady at home or fire him. You can tell him he is still welcome to come visit and remain friends but he can't be an employee. If your business fails because of him its not fair to you or your other employee.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »
It sounds like he is enabling her in his desire to help her. I have seen this movie in person, been the guy, and it's not a good ending. With what you described I agree with WV. Yes it is a tough spot for you, but your customers and  creditors are  not going to be so sympathetic.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 01:30:23 PM »
Some schedule deviations I can live with.  Having to reschedule shipments is an issue.  My compassion diminishes as my business is affected!

You did tell him he could pretty much set his own schedule though from the first post...  Time to have a talk about expectations and set weekly goals/targets that need to be hit.  

You may have to move on.  Tough call, especially as tough as it is to find good help.  
In the long run, you make your own luck good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 01:47:27 PM »
I am putting this out here for the entire Forum because we have all and will continue to experience loss and trauma!

There is not a single individual that walks this earth that couldn't benefit from the course. 

The Grief Recovery Method 

https://www.griefrecoverymethod.com/about-us

If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Dewey

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 02:51:44 PM »
Yes I did say he could work his schedule  a year ago ..  Earlier this spring when I give raises I told him that I would give him a good raise if he could start working an honest 40 hrs....  he did that , I gave him a Pretty substantial raise ,he was great for a bit . He got back with her and its gone downhill from there..

My thought is she is depressed and needs help, that she apparently wont go for...  I think she is really playing the guilt card on him to keep him around...

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 03:43:01 PM »
My thought is she is depressed and needs help, that she apparently wont go for... I think she is really playing the guilt card on him to keep him around...

I just read this entire thread.  Lots of great comments and ideas.  I had this thought from your original post.  I know he must be full of guilt for the incident and maybe he just can't figure out how to distance himself from her IF he no longer has feelings for her anymore.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Dewey

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2019, 09:01:19 AM »
Liljohn Saw  That's exactly the problem....   he told me that yesterday...

She doesn't want to be alone and has been talking suicide if he goes to work..

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
Then it's time for medical professionals to intervene. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Online mart

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »
Then it's time for medical professionals to intervene.
Absolutely it's time for professional intervention and do not wait. She may be playing that card as a way to manipulate him but she may actually be suicidal. Let the professionals deal with it.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/25 hp
Branson 3725
Stihl 051
HV 450

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 02:29:45 PM »
There comes a time when professional help must be summoned.Our good will and sympathy can only be of so much help.Dewey,I commend you for trying as hard as you have to help this young man but sometimes the baggage that people carry around is more than we are capable of supporting and lines have to be drawn.I wish you well,the young man and woman also.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »
Yes, call police, hospital etc and then you're out of it.  You are not responsible after that.  People are responsible for themselves.  Happiness is a choice, and depression is a choice.  You cannot make those choices for people.  Call professionals, sit your employee down and explain how the world works, and then he has his choices to make.  You're out of it from there. Move on with your life and be happy and guilt free.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline never finished

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 07:01:12 PM »
 Dewey. I'm of the belief that a compassionate man, is much richer than a man with a pocket full of money. Yes you have to keep your business a float and your family taken care of. The question only you can answer is can you do both and to what extent. It might be possible to work in professional counseling   as a requirement for continued employment, and truck sitting. Which will most likely lead to a calmer separation of the two. You can likely explain to him, that the best way to help her. Is to lead her to help by example. Who knows? Not any of us, or them without trying. Hopefully with out stirring up a hornets nest. Please don't let anyone convince you that depression is a choice. You might make a life long difference in these two young peoples lives.  Dennis    

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 08:31:49 PM »
    Why not send them to counseling and see what the professional says about her being on site? If he advises it can you accommodate it? Does your insurance cover it? 

Remember - you did not cause this situation. You can offer to help but you are not responsible for fixing it. Do you have the training, time and ability to help? The fact you are asking makes me think you're in over your head.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 07:21:27 AM »
Theres much more to this situation that has come out than the original post included.

They are young, they may not know how to get professional help.  They need someone to guide them to that help.  If they have refused counseling previously, they may not have had an incentive.

When I meet my Maker, Id want to know I did my best for these kids.  Id offer to pay for the first couple of sessions and expect mandatory attendance as a condition for continued employment.  Id rather pay to get them started than know I could have helped prevent a suicide and didnt.  

It maybe a church, the health department or social service department can arrange free counseling.  Even a call to a suicide prevention service could help you figure out who to send them to.  Somebody needs to help them get the help they need.  Their families are grieving too. At least you will know you tried.

Your other conditions for continued employment need to be put in writing - leaving her at home, on time, work hours, breaks, cell phone use etc.  

Firming up expectations in conjunction with the assistance with counseling is tough love.  Sounds like they need it. 

If he cant abide by the conditions, fire him.  Hes had chances and second chances. Firing him may be the incentive he needs to change his situation.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Share Post
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 12:10:21 PM »
That "depression is a choice" seems rather callous.  Over the years I dealt with many people suffering from depression, or the behaviors associated with that condition.  Sometimes it was too late and I had to wait for the coroner and notify the family.  

Even the very young can have mental instabilities, or brain chemical imbalances.  They can't just choose to stop being depressed.  Adults, especially older adults among us, may be taking medications that interfere with their thoughts of well-being.  If you must take a medication to survive, and one of the side effects is depression, that's not much of a "choice".  It is now required by Medicare, for all adults at their first wellness visit with their doctor, that they be interviewed for symptoms of depression.  
07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Bobcat S250, Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 01:54:23 PM »
 There are a bunch of guys today [veterans day] that wish depression was "a choice".
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 02:52:55 PM »
I had someone on here email me chastising me for saying that  depression and happiness are a choice.  I can see a few others here are taking umbrage as well.  Well....I speak from experience.  And it was the epiphany that ultimately it was a choice, that I was able to overcome.  When you're deep down in that dark hole, spiraling down feels good, or comforting in a twisted way.  That's why people tend to wallow in it.  Brain chemistry is certainly a factor.  But understanding that the chemistry is playing such a factor, and realizing that you have the power...the power to reject the bad feelings, the power to choose to be happy.  I know It sounds like a bunch of hooey.  Something I wouldn't normally subscribe to until I discovered it for myself, that I had the power.  I had the power to choose and affect my mood, my attitude, my outlook.  That, and some medication for a short time,  along with some techniques to help release endorphins help keep you up...I didn't like the medication so I quit after a couple months. It was a short while after that, that I chose.

No one, I mean no one gets out from under depression, or addiction, or just changing anything in your life, without choosing to do so.  You have to want to make a change, and choose to in order for any change to occur.  It may seem obvious, but it is in realizing that you have the power and strength to do so, and wanting to,  that can set you free. I know what I've experienced, so please don't try tell me it's not valid.  Take what you will from what people say.  I try not to judge them.  The Op appears to be dealing with guilt and dependency, which are not healthy for him.  Hopefully he'll do what's best for him.  ...and sometimes that is the best thing for everybody.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline curved-wood

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 06:19:06 PM »
I could agree that choice being a main factor in happiness. Depression that is another story. Bradd_bb ,I think you had a couple more steps to hit the bottom. The bottom is suicide. The step before is when you have no hope and I mean no hope at all. Just like your car battery is dead, even if you turn the key harder and want as much as you could the car does not start. It takes a minimum of energy to start the car and recharge the battery and sometime a boost from others. I went in the space of the ultimate last step  and I could tell you that choices has no place there. I was suicidal to the point that in the morning I did know if I would make the day, telling me : Ok let's try to get to midday. My suicidal plan was ready. I got out with the help of brothers and sisters, friends, medicine and a good psychologist. Sorry to contradict you but in no way I could had get through with any kind of ''choice'' or willingness. Just as if I was drowning I needed help. Thanks to the Universe, today ( and for many of the past years ) my life is very happy .
Let's go back to the sawmill employee. There is some very good advices already given here. I insist on consulting a therapist. I dont think a young adult is equipped to help a girl friend to get out. 
Your help: just be conscious at what level you are welling to help. There is no point to drown with the employee.    A friend gave my his life formula and how he manages his energy : 1/3 for now, 1/3 for the tomorrow and the future, and 1/3 for the others. Sometimes in my life I had zero for the others, and sometimes I went way too high. It is good to choose consciously at what level are you are welling to help. Also the help could take may form : it could be paying the therapist bill even if he is not working for you anymore, it could be just talking on the work time, etc.  Helping, whatever we could, is how we built a better world.

Offline donbj

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: Today at 12:52:07 AM »
"I had someone on here email me chastising me for saying that  depression and happiness are a choice.  I can see a few others here are taking umbrage as well.  Well....I speak from experience."

It's too bad that chastising took place but totally understandable. This type of issue is where discussion is far more important than judgement or chastisement. Everybody has a different capacity and journey through difficulty. At certain depths of depression choice isn't an option for many. With help, thinking rationally and for one's self becomes more of a reality. There is no blanket solution for all.
Woodmizer LT40HDG24

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
My employee wants a raise

Started by solidwoods on General Board

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 08:37:38 PM
by Warren
xx
Employee dress/appearance code

Started by Frickman on General Board

102 Replies
Last post April 20, 2005, 03:11:38 PM
by Emrldashbr
xx
Looking for an employee/partner in our firewood business.

Started by Captain on Job Opportunities

0 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 03:28:01 PM
by Captain
xx
Urban logging success! Finally a tree company employee who cares!

Started by Kelvin on Urban and Community Forestry

17 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 06:56:22 PM
by olyman