iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CAD software for timber framing

Started by TGB, March 04, 2005, 09:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGB

This one is for Jim,  I see on your personal ad for your company that you purchased some software to help you create drawings.  What is the name of the software, I'm interested in purchasing it.  I work for a civil engineering firm as a CAD drafter, so I'm pretty sure I could figure it out by playing around on it.

Tom

Jim_Rogers

Tom:
I'm sure I posted the name somewhere here before, but anyhow it's Dietrich's look at www.dietrichs.com for info.
Or send me a private info and I can help you more. I am a rep for the company.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

TGB

Jim I was wondering if you received the e-mail I sent you on Sat. I'm interested in getting some pricing info. from you if I could.

Tom

Jim_Rogers

Tom, I sent you a reply this morning with some info.
Jim Rogers

TGB

Sorry Jim, but I haven't gotten your e-mail. I might have given you the wrong address. Here it is again - tbrasure@hotmail.com; hope this works, but sometimes Hotmail can be a real pain as far as receiving e-mails

Jim_Rogers

Tom:
I sent it again to the new address. The first one you gave me was different.
Let me know if you don't get this one, this time.
Jim Rogers

TGB

Jim, great drawings, I really appreciate it.  The price on the software is a little steep but I understand why. When I can afford it, I being calling you.

A question on the barn drawing. Do you stick frame your roof systems or was that what the client wanted? Just curious. Once again, thanks.

Tom

Jim_Rogers

Client specifications.
Dietrich's has a free 2-d cad program. Just go to their site and you can download it after you register for free.
Jim Rogers

JoeyLowe

TGB:

I saw that you are a CAD drafter for a civil engineering firm.  Do you use autoCAD or have access to autoCAD?  If so, go to the TFG website and download the TimberCad add-on for free. 
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Ernie

TGB

Do you know where I can d'l more libraries for the 2d CAD prog?

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

TGB

Joey, I tried to download Timber cad the other day but it wouldn't work. I have what is called Autodesk landdesk top 3, which is specialized Auto Cad used for civil engineering.  I talked to a friend at work and he said I might need to load just basic Auto Cad 2000, which I can get from work. When I tried to d.l. the zip file for timber cad, I wasn't receiving the 2 zip files the instructions said I should be receiving. I was getting just one, and it wouldn't do anything. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.  I downloaded Deitrichs 2d program last night and haven't really got a chance to play with it. Looks a lot like auto cad though.

TGB

TGB

Jim, those pdf files you sent to me of the barn, did you create those using 2d or 3d Deitrichs.

TGB

Jim_Rogers

Both.
First I draw the barn in 3d. Then I rotate a 3d view to a 2d view and save that view for export to the 2d program. I import it to a template drawing sheet based on the size of the priner paper and dimension it there.
Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Ernie:
What 2d program are you talking about?

Jim Rogers

Ernie

Jim

The freebie from Dietrich's D-CAD-L Ver 4.05.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jim_Rogers

Ernie:

I'll have to update my program I only have 4.01 (I think).

What are you looking for?

Jim Rogers

Ernie

Jim

I am mostly just curious.  Eventually we want to build another house at the top of the farm, you know, the sort of place with no phone and a big long rough steep driveway, great views and peace and quiet.  So anything that you think might be of use, I would be interested in.

Thanks

Ernie

Jim_Rogers

Ernie:
Your thoughts remind me of a good customer who showed up at the sawmill yard.

He wanted a piece of wood. I asked him how wide, how thick, and how long a piece of wood did he want. He told me he didn't know, but that he wanted something.

I went back to work on the current log I was milling and told him when he figures out what he want to let me know, and I'll see what I could do to help him.

As far as library items. Most people create their own, once in a drawing, as they are creating that drawing. Save this item to the library and then when they need it again the place it into their new drawing.

When you are creating a plan set or a set of plans, there is information that will need to be placed in each and every plan. Such as title boxes, General frame rules, note and specifications, compass arrows and other such standard drawing plan stuff. These items are the type that I save in my library. Or I create a drawing template so that all this stuff comes into a blank drawing sheet when I begin to start a drawing.

As 2-d PlanCAD has very little if any "Help" file or tutorial files, the company suggested I create some.
I have created 25 screen capture movies showing a new user how to do some basic functions. These movies show how to create a 12' x 16' shed, floor system drawing. The drawing contains four sills and floor joists with the pockets for the posts, with dimensions.

My plan was to create more movies showing "how to" create bent drawings and broad wall drawings.
Possibly 25 movies showing how to do the bents and 25 showing how to do the broad wall.

These three drawing are the basic drawings a timber framer could use to create a structure. Of course some detail drawing may be needed. But by understanding an using some general frame rules, most timber framers can layout and cut the joints needed to construct a simple frame.

I've been trying to find some time to include with the movies some written descriptions that explain what's going on in the movies as a follow long work-plan. But it isn't complete yet. So far I only have 5 written stories to go along with the first five movies.

If anyone would be interested in purchasing a set of movies and what is written so far, I'd be happy to send you a cd, with the printed documents. The cost at this time would be $25 plus shipping of $3.95.

Let me know if you're interested.

Jim Rogers

Coon

Thanks guys,  got lots of info from this particular forum.  Downloaded the CAD program from Dietrich's.  Works great.   8) :P smiley_computer_monitor smiley_smash smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

JoeyLowe

Hey guys:  Thought you might be interested in knowing that TurboCad, inconjunction with FloorplanV.8.0 will do post and beam frames too.  I didn't believe it but I saw it with my own eyes.  Now it doesn't do complex joinery, but as far as quickly building a frame so that you can see what it looks like, it will do that.  How you might ask?

Well, I've been spending a little bit of my precious time learning as much about CAD as I can, so I bought a couple of less expensive programs like TurboCad and Chief Architect.  Floorplan is a freebie.  I figured that I had better learn it because CAD does make life a little easier.  Well of course, TurboCad can be quite confusing so I bought their books and attended a couple of their classes, but today, i had the unqiue opportunity of participating in a Webex training session with a builder/user out of Wis.  who showed me the fastest and easiest way to build a frame (sans the joinery) with a free program.  Again, how? you might ask. 

Basically, you draw your walls in Floorplan at say 1/8" tall. Then you insert a pediment door frame (designed to your bent size) into that wall.  When you render the drawing or take an isometric look at it, the walls are so small that you don't see them and what you do see is are the bents (pediment doors).  Simply import this design into TurboCad, add a couple of beams to connect the bents and whatever you are going to add for trusses and you are set.  The whole process took less than an hour.  Now of course, this isn't meant to replace a fully engineered and designed frame, but it will give you a quick sketch of what you have in your head.

Thought inquiring minds would like to know.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

rcolmansr60

Joey,
   Which TurboCad did you use ? The Professional or the Delux? How did you like the Chief Architect for TF?
Dick

Kirk_Allen

I downloaded the Dietrich's program but have to say, its not easy to use or figure out but thats coming from a person who has never done any CAD work.

Looks like it will do a lot but I cant even figure out how to draw a straight line a specific lenght.  If I could get that part down I might have a chance.

I have done some work on a program called Vellum 3d.  It was very easy to learn and use but its not designed for construction at all.

TexasTimbers

Joey,
Thanks for this info. It's refreshing to know that in a world where EVERYTHING seems to have a price tag, some things are still free. Maybe as an introductory to their better software, but that's something I always consider when I elect to do business with someone.
I don't expect a free lunch but sometimes it's good business not to try and "nickel and dime" people to death.
Great tip - thanks. KJ

P.S. Hows the shop coming?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jim_Rogers

Here is a drawing of a frame that I created in 2002 using floor plan as part of TurboCAD

It can be done but it's just for visualization and not a true timber frame drawing.

Jim Rogers

JoeyLowe

Hi Dick:

I'm currently using TC version 11. but I saw it demoed with V8 Professional.  Chief Architect is also a good program and I highly recommend it.  It's a little pricey at just under $1800, but it does a good job of cost estimating and rendering too. 

KevJay:

The shop is coming along just fine!  Been real busy here.  We have sold two frames locally and a couple over in Mississippi.  I decided that to keep up the pace, that I needed to drift a little from traditional timber framing and venture into using some of the engineered connectors available.  Two such animals that have greatly speeded up my production are LogHogs and Timberlinx coonectors.  Again, I highly recommend them.

Regarding the use of floor plan and TurboCad, fully rendered photo realistic drawings are well within the capabilities of this software.  In a few days, I will post a couple of renderings so that yall can see it's capabilities.  Many designers use both of these programs to do just that.  Since very few, (if any) designers generate "working drawings" or "shop drawings", these programs can be used to create as "true" a drawing as any other program.  Granted they don't automatically draw out a joint and then use that joint to make the connection, but who really cares since joinery is subjective anyway. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

Thank You Sponsors!