iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this wood?

Started by Gilman, March 04, 2005, 11:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back40x2

I think I have it figured out ;)  or Mayb not ???  Tell me what you think.

Honey Locust Ring any Bells ??? ??? ???

This came from Saturday Sawing Pg 15 midway down.

I sure  looks like it to me ???
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Gilman

I finally found a little piece of bark on one of the boards.  Don't know if this will help.  I going to take a sample over to Woodcrafters in Portland, OR and they said they'd identify it.  I might also sell them the lumber.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

pigman

I want to change my vote. The bark sure looks like black cherry.
Bob 
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

maple flats

After seeing the small sample of bark, my vote is also black cherry, 99%+  sure, no resemblance to elm. 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

chet

I'm gonna stick with my vote, I still say Cherry.    ;)  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Back40x2

Everyone,

Look at the pics I posted just above on this page.  This was from saturday sawing.  Looks just like the original pics posted for this topic. ??? ??? ???

My vote is for the Honey Locust ;)
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

chet

Gilman,
Here's what ya do. Saw dat stuff into 6" blocks and send everybody a chunk. I'll bet we'll git er den.    ???   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

TomFromStLouis

Well, since there seems to be no penalty for guessing, I will offer my relatively uneducated opinion. The green and pink colors of the first set of pictures instantly made me think cherry. But the sharper grain  and paler hue of the second set made me lean ash (or chestnut or elm). Then the tantalizing small bit of scuffed bark had me back at cherry. Until the last picture of that set: the grain is just too sharply demarcated without distinct sapwood/heartwood coloring. Lay a tool on a board in a sunny spot for two hours and see if the board tans - we ought to be able to eliminate cherry that easily. Not cherry. And the coloring does not seem right for honey locust either.

Since I have no first hand experience with chestnut and there is an unfamiliar green cast to the first set of pictures which I have not seen in ash (pink yes, green no), put me in the elm group.

BTW, we sell Tree of Heaven logs for blocking and pallet - they have a big open grain and large rings like these pictures show. They grow fast and big here.

RMay

Looks like its in the Red Oak family to me ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Gilman

Turns out to be elm.  Thanks for your input

Jeff

Quote from: Gilman on March 16, 2005, 06:54:38 PM
Turns out to be elm.  Thanks for your input

I would like to think it was MY input that has led you to this sudden and definitive conclusion. ;D

O.K.,  'spain yerself! ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gilman

:D

I took a couple of samples to Woodcrafters in Portland and Gilmer's Wood in Portland.  The purchaser at Woodcrafters said it was elm, but without a leaf sample he couldn't say what type of elm.  The feller at Gilmer's Wood said it was elm too.

But really, it's because the Chief said it was elm!  :D

chet

I'm still stickin' with cherry.  ;) 

Furby

You tell them Chet!
Unless they can prove it, it's what ever you want it to be, eh! ;)

SwampDonkey

Once I seen the closer shot of the grain I was convinced of elm, even though it's non-native. I'll give the boss full credit though. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TomFromStLouis

If you are going to hand out credit, I believe Buzzsawyer was the first to mention elm. OF course, the boss being boss means he gets any and all credit.

Tom
a real yes man

chet

Still thinking cherry, at least until I get my little sample block in da mail.  :)

Gilman

I guess it's Cherry then Chet  :D :D :D

chet

See......I knew it.   ;D :D  :D  :D  :D

Thank You Sponsors!