The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: ROI Mill  (Read 232 times)

Offline jemmy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
ROI Mill
« on: November 27, 2019, 01:17:20 AM »
What is you're ROI portable sawmill style, I have a few different routes but I would like to hear everyones I am looking to spend 5-10 and am willing to do a fair bit of work/acquisitions to achieve but not a full build. For instance a wide band mill on a beefy trailer, with lots of jacks ( also maybe make it able to be picked off with a bobcat). I have a lot of wood I need to cut. A wide variety but there is some nice stuff I would like to cut flat that is pretty wide and I don't think would be ideal through the chainsaw mill. But the other side of me is thinking I could get a mobile hydraulic mill for like 7-10. Thoughts suggestions all are welcome but this is a route I am taking immediately I believe(should have funds in 2-4 months so research begins now). I have a circle mill going on that needs one day of welding and a solid 3 days of field checks (i think idk lol lollol things 2 years in the working rn)and maintenance until firing. Need a few posts over there first too. Looking to hopefully have 3 operable saws, 1 wide chain sawmill for absurd logs, 1 circle mill (lollollol), and a band mill of support until I figure out the circle mill and will supply a fair bit of lumber for an innumerable amount of wood for one man and a bobcat to cut for now. Wider, faster, easier, minimal guaranty turnkey of performance for 5-10 ideally 5-7.  I think 20" would be the smallest width with ideally like 30+ I dont care about hydraulics too much and willing to retrofit/upgrade asap. All opinions welcome as I am just beginning trying to tackle this. Also willing to pour a pad for it being picked and placed on a pad. I have a lot of long stuff that I want to cut too and not apposed to build tracks/extend indefinitely. Just want an awesome saw and then build tracks. But idk if there is such a thing. But turn key and highly mobile has high appeal to me. I have like 20-50k of bdft that needs sawed up.... and its not clean so I want a band mill......lol  At this pt my current decision is a portable band mill of a high brand name that has solid width and reputation. I can mill up like 10-20 of of the board ft and see how things are going from there. Needs some barns, and sales. Even at a 1$/bdft I am a happy man and I can strike a few deals and get a sign up, and start launching advertisements. I just dont know what I should rely on. But I think I need a bread and butter. A quiver killer. But I once again I dont know what path is best, open to multiple avenues and options. Love to hear opinions. I dont want to mess with something super intense like a full build quite yet.
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

Offline jemmy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: ROI Mill
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 01:55:11 AM »
My bias is something like a lt15 or portable band mill
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Does anyone mill muzzle loader stocks on thier mill

Started by LaneC on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 06:06:12 PM
by Farmer Jim
xx
Antique shingle mill and clap board mill

Started by scotthelms on Wanted

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2015, 08:18:04 PM
by scotthelms
xx
Why are there more smaller Band Mill operators here then circle mill?

Started by MaddiesDad on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 03:18:06 PM
by TexasTimbers
xx
Mackinaw Mi. Water powered saw mill Mill Creek

Started by jimparamedic on Travel Guide

0 Replies
Last post April 12, 2019, 02:56:29 PM
by jimparamedic