iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms660 versus husky 395xp

Started by Robert R, March 11, 2005, 09:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

In my quest for a new and bigger saw, I am down to these 2.  I intend to use if primarily for felling larger trees (28 inches and over) and also may run a chainsaw mill with it as well.  Price-wise, they are pretty much a toss up.  I am leaning towards Stihl simply because that is what I have now, a Stihl 021.  Is there anything that sets the husky apart and would make me go that direction or are the saws pretty much equal?
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Ironwood

RRRRRRRPPPPPPMMMMMM, better finish for chainsaw milling. HUSKIE
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

KiwiCharlie

Hi Robert,
I started out milling with a well used 066 and found it very good.  Ive never used the 395 so I cant compare the 2.
Chain selection has a big impact on finish quality.  I use a "slow" 090, but get good finish on the slabs.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

lucky_cutter

I own huskys, but in this case I do not think I would miss carrying around that extra pound in the woods if i got a 660 instead. These saws are  evenly matched. If the extra weight does not bother you, my preferance would go to husky and the higher rps. If however, I got a 660 for a gift I would consider it a keeper. Get what feels best. Either way you can't go wrong.

Robert R

I don't think the extra weight would be a bother--95% of my cutting will still be with a smaller Stihl 021.  I just want a bigger saw for when it is necessary and I want enough saw to be comfortable milling if I choose to go that route without shelling out for yet another saw.  The biggest pluses in the Stihl camp is simple brand recognition and loyalty, local mom and pop dealer and about $85 bucks cheaper.  The Husky would be ordered from Baileys and I could build it exactly to the specs I want and with the higher rpm, it may be the way to go.  Just don't know.  I am sure both are quality saws and both are probably more than I really need.  I just happen to have enough ash ready to deliver to the mill that will allow me to get one and it falls in the want category--that and I have a walnut that I am sure would more than pay for it but it is about 4 to 5 inches bigger than I am willing to tackle with my 021.  I have been told I can upgrade that Stihl 021 to an 18 bar--anyone have that combination.  In really hard wood, it sometimes tries to bog down if I apply any pressure at all with a 16 inch bar.  Wouldn't that only get worse with a bigger bar.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

lucky_cutter

I'm not familiar with an 021. What size is the moter and hp are we talkin about here?. The longer bar does take more out of a saw.

Neither saw should have to got to the shop very often, but the local shop would be convenient, and they should have most of the parts on hand for a stihl.
Both are exellent saws. if possible get them side by side and spend some time comparing them. Both makes have their "differences", chain tentioner, air filtration, handle and weight distribution, which you may or may not like. (I was in a shop a few years ago when a guy could not make up his mind between a stihl and a simliar husky. He later brought in his wife and she made the decision based on color)

KiwiCharlie

Hi lucky,
The 021 is a smaller saw, 35cc/2hp.  "Mid range for firewood cutting" is the official description.  They recc a 16" bar for it, but I wouldnt really want to be running an 18" on it.  A bit underpowered for the wood you end up tackling once you get the longer bar!  I run an 18" bar on my 038, but thats 70cc.
Robert, yes I think the bogging down you talk of would get worse running an 18" bar.  I think if you got an 066 you would end up using that more often than you think.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

rahtreelimbs

Quote from: Reid Crosby on March 11, 2005, 11:16:47 PM
RRRRRRRPPPPPPMMMMMM, better finish for chainsaw milling. HUSKIE

The Stihl gives up nothing in RPM to the Husky. This is a no-brainer......the 066 is the better choice.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Lobo

Although both are good, in this case I have to side with rahtreelimbs , go with the Stihl.

HOWEVER milling is tough so your dealer and back up parts & service is important and that should whey in for 50% of your decision.

jokers

Hi Lobo,

Do you use your 066 for milling or is it mostly for big takedowns? I`ve only used them for really big trees and no longer have anything in the 66 class, but I`m thinking about doing some milling and I`m curious to know what others are using.

Russ

Bernhard

about the bar, run the smallest bar you can get, I do so since i bought my first Stihk (028 in 1985) and it is still in business. And every of my saws ( 018, 024,028, 044 and 046) ran the smallest bar I can get for em...no probs....

StihlCarver046

021 to an 660 is a world of difference. If you are not trying to cut and mill the biggest trees out there maybe an 460 would be a consideration. Or the new ms650 lighter less money little less power. Out of the two you said I would go with the 660.

Lobo

Quote from: jokers on March 13, 2005, 03:20:20 PM
Hi Lobo,

Do you use your 066 for milling or is it mostly for big takedowns? I`ve only used them for really big trees and no longer have anything in the 66 class, but I`m thinking about doing some milling and I`m curious to know what others are using.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Not doing much of anything as far as big saws anymore because of back and right hip problems ( there are periods now that picking up a Wild Thing would be real good ), however 066/660 would be primarily a larger tree unit which as you already know is getting far rarer, heck 24 inch diameter is really big now. If I were to get in to milling real seriously (perhaps when the wife retires) I would go even bigger than a 066/660 or 394 /395 would go with something like 088/090 or in a Husky 3120 or Jonsered equivalent. Even the big old macs of the past with lots of grunt would be great.  Lots of old barns being torn down now everywhere and the beams salvaged and recycled.

Have a real good time this coming weekend and enjoy yourselves.

TexasTimbers

I've been kicking this very dilemma around in my little brain as well.  After reading everyone's responses, and basing my decision on nothing more than emotion (since I don't have the first hand emperical data available to me) I think I'm going to go with the Husky. It has a MUCH cooler name. Just say it ... "Husqvarna".

Pretty Woman: "What kind of chainsaw do you have?"
Logger: "A Stihl."
Pretty Woman: "Huh? Steel? A what?"
Logger: "I mean ... er .... a HUSKY!""
Pretty Woman: "Ooh baby, what's your phone number?"
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

lucky_cutter

Hey kevjay,
Are you bucking for a job with husky's advertising department?

oldsaw

the power of such a saw can be addicting.  I've got an 066 and run either a 25 or 36" bar on it.  It doesn't bog  and will bury your boots in sawdust in a fairly short period.  Power is a very cool thing.
Power RULES.

PS, mine is used primarily as a miller, but spends some time bucking the big ones, which I've come across a few more of lately.  My "user" is a Homie Super XL, but, dang, the 066 is a lot more fun...until the end of the day is near, then the Homie looks really good.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Engineer

I used to have an 066 as my main saw on a Logosol mill, and when it was off the mill I had a lot of fun using it as a falling and bucking saw.    Too much, though, and I sold it with the mill.

I had a chance to use a 395 last week, and disliked it immediately.  It felt "floppy", probably the result of the antivibe setup, and it seemed like it didn't have as much power as the big Stihl.

If you're not going to use that saw day-in/day-out on BIG trees or on a mill, I'd suggest going to a smaller saw (especially as a step up from an 021).  You will notice the size and WEIGHT difference REALLY fast.  Might I suggest a MS440 or 460, or even one of the new Dolmars (or Makitas, which are Dolmars in disguise).    Even an 036 (or MS360) will spin a 24" bar with no difficulty, and it's a lot easier to wield than a monster such as the 066 or 395.

Robert R

To me, it seems the consensus is leaning towards Stihl, especially since that is my local availability.  There seems to be also quite a bit of concern about such a beginner wielding a 660.  I appreciate y'alls honesty and straightforwardness.  I had initially leaned to a 440.  My reason for jumping to a 660 was because I wanted to avoid buying another saw if I decide to mill with it, which I am fairly certain I will.  So let me ask you this, could I start off milling with a 440 just to see if I like it and am satisfied with a chainsaw mill before buying a 660 or will that just be tearing up my 440?  My milling would all be on smaller logs, max of 20 inches in diameter and usually closer to 12 to 16 inch osage orange, pinoak and ash.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

DanManofStihl

I have an 066 and I love that saw I think they are the best all around saw out their I have not used a husky 395 but I have handled one at the dealer and it did not give me the same feeling of a stihl I think it felt cheapely made and I know that might not be try I have a tryed and true stihl 066 and that the one I would go back to if I ever needed a new saw.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

jokers

Quote from: DanManofStihl on March 24, 2005, 09:08:07 PM
I have not used a husky 395 but I have handled one at the dealer and it did not give me the same feeling of a stihl I think it felt cheapely made and I know that might not be.....

I understand this perception but once you`ve used a Husky extensively, that perception fades. No doubt about it, Stihls generally feel good in hand and have a look of quality, but the look and feel only relate to reality in their best saws, IMO. I think that the look and feel is like putting a dress on a pig on their cheaper(maybe I should say homeowner?) models. It may look nice but it`s still a pig on the inside. ;D

Russ

DanManofStihl

I have used huskys I have used a husky 359 55 rancher 51 and the 141 and also the husky 394 I stilll stand with my statement they fell cheaply made.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

TexasTimbers

QuoteMy milling would all be on smaller logs, max of 20 inches in diameter and usually closer to 12 to 16 inch osage orange, pinoak and ash.

Robert, I was gonna email you but it's hidden - mine's fanninconstruction@yahoo.com I have a litany of questions especially after you buy the saw I'd like to ask, please email me so I can keep in touch over the next couple of weeks? Thanks. Kevin Jaynes.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: Robert R on March 24, 2005, 08:21:24 PM
So let me ask you this, could I start off milling with a 440 just to see if I like it and am satisfied with a chainsaw mill before buying a 660 or will that just be tearing up my 440?  My milling would all be on smaller logs, max of 20 inches in diameter and usually closer to 12 to 16 inch osage orange, pinoak and ash.

I heard the other day of a guy milling with an 026!  You can mill with whatever you like, but understand that milling is hard on a saw, and while I don't think you'd tear up the 440 right away, I don't think it'd be an entirely accurate measure of how the mill will work with a properly powered saw.   I've also heard of many guys who mill with a 660 and STILL want more power.    If you stay in the woods and dimensions you mentioned, the 660 would be more than plenty.  It's a good saw all the way around.
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

logger

Jokers,
Yeah, whateaver, that is your opinion. ::) ;D 
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

jokers

Quote from: logger on March 25, 2005, 10:33:17 PM
Jokers,
Yeah, whateaver, that is your opinion. ::) ;D 

True enough, isn`t that what forums are supposed to be all about? People sharing expereince based opinions vs people sharing propaganda based opinions?

As the owner/user of many Stihl and Husky saws I was replying to what I consider a mistaken and superficial opinion from a guy with an obvious Stihl bias(it`s in his name). Based on many previous questions and statements from that individual, I have formed the opinion that his saw experience is neither broad nor deep. I am offering no commentary whatsoever on what I would consider his general intelligence level to be, I don`t know him, I`m merely offering that he may have little to no actual OPERATING experience running a Husky. I can appreciate the perception that Stihls are generally of a higher quality, I get the same superficial feeling, but when it comes to work, the quality is equal. Pick the colors or features that you like best.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!