iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Forestry Forum is now WIRELESS!

Started by Jeff, March 15, 2005, 09:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Well, if you cant get enough of a good thing, take it with you  ;D

For those of you with wireless internet outfits, you can now get the forum as you travel

To see what it would look like you can use a wap emulator here:
http://www.gelon.net/

This is the address you will need for your wireless browser:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?wap

To test it in the emulator, go to the gelon page and paste the address in address box that says "Wapalizer"
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

geez, Jeff!   What'cha tryhin' to do, get these characters hurt?   Truck drivers aren't supposed to be on the internet, they'll break there truck. :D

Bibbyman

smiley_headscratch

Our new notebook has a wireless antenna and we got one of those modem adapters so it'll work anywhere in the house without the cord.

Does that mean if I go for the address you noted and key that in,  I could get FF any old place?  Or just places that's got this service? Or is it another service I'd have to buy?

Please tell me oh learned one.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I would like to know if anyone has a wireless and how it works. Of course everything will be just text. All my testing has been on an emulator, dont have access to the real deal.

Jeff

You need a WAP device- Wireless Application Protocol. A protocol used with small handheld devices with small file sizes. Like the cell phones with interent access capabilities.

Bibbyman

Not sure what a WAP is...  But I'm reals sure I ain't got one.

DanG!  I can't even work a cell phone!  Got one in my Roadmaster and take it out every week or so to charge it up.  Anytime I have to use it - I have to have Mary there to punch in the numbers.  Never have figure out how to get the keys locked. 

I got is so if I have a breakdown or problem I can call for help.  But I need a phone to call someone to tell me how to use it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

KiwiCharlie

Hi Jeff,
I just tried it on my mobile and it worked all ok for me.  I got the entire 'General Forestry' section.  Are we able to get into other areas, eg Behind the Forum?  Didnt look like it.  I couldnt see those areas, but may have had to navigate around a bit.  I had no problems navigating around what was there.  Checked out my last post etc - cool!  It does work in real time!  :D ;) 8)
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

KiwiCharlie

Ah yes, just tried again, and got the whole forum, ie all areas.  Cool!
Charlie.

Jeff

farmerdoug

Heck Jeff,

What would wireless do for me here.  :-\ As close as I am to Detroit as I am I still only have dailup.  Heck cell phones do not work in this area.  Everyone wants to know why I do not have one and I tell them that if I cannot use it at home were I am most of the time what use is it.  >:( Even the phone service guys hide out in this area as their cells and beepers will not work here.  We are never lacking phone and electric servicemen around here but if you have a problem you have to find tell yourself as they will not get the call from dispatch. ::)  The biggest complaint I here from the new people in the area is that they hate it out here because they have to go five miles one way to use their cell phones.  :D :D Isn't life sweeet some times. 8) 8) 8)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

Maybe you can be the lucky one to have somebody give you a quarter million dollars for a 50 year lease to put a tower on your property. Thats what they give one of the Farmers up here that hauls dust out of the mill. His cows still grace in the same field, just lost 5 little fenced in area.  I aint lucky enough to find a quarter. Thought I did today going to the Dr. 

When is the last time ya saw a knockout out of a metal receptical box laying in a parking lot.  :-\

chet

farmerdoug,
If you want to make yourself feel better about your phone service in da lower, come up to da UP for a little while. Driving 5 miles or 50 miles still ain't gonna git ya nottin'.   :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Dont let Chet kid ya. Any time he was bored this winter he played the "Let's torment Jeff" game.  He would go to the lake, and call me from his cell phone so I could listen to him ice fish. :-\

farmerdoug

I sure would not complain if they wanted to put up a tower here.  I could buy alot of toys with that kind of money. 8)  But alast it will not be as the phone service guys tell me that even though Verizon is pushing cell service fully to the point that they would like to get rid of the land lines all together, they fight over the US-Canadian cell towers calls.  I guess both sides loose out when a call crosses the border from which it is made only to go back to the same side.  ::) No profit for them and they do not want anything to do with it.  So they tell me we are to close to the border for a new tower so I tell them that I am to close to the border for their cell phones.  After all I would not want to harm the neighbors(Canada) with my chatter. :)

Chet,  That is why you go to the UP to get away from the cell phones.  Heck you guys are lucky as every time I turn around they are adding new area codes or changing our old one for all of these new phones.  I think you guys up there still only have one correct(906).  When I was in college in the 80s 313 was the code for Detroit south to the border of the state to the tip of the thumb.  Now we have 7 or more codes for the same area  and they are all long distance.

Jeff,  I know they have cells up there but my buddy says Nextels are worthless up there.
Doug
Fargo, MI

chet

:D  :D  :D  :D 

Jeff,
Da only reason I could call ya from da ice shack, is 'cause I got a 12 gazillion watt booster on da shack. Neat side benefit though, all da fish I catch around dar glow in da dark. Go figure.  :-\
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Quartlow

Quote from: Chet on March 15, 2005, 11:37:01 PM
:D  :D  :D  :D 

Jeff,
Da only reason I could call ya from da ice shack, is 'cause I got a 12 gazillion watt booster on da shack. Neat side benefit though, all da fish I catch around dar glow in da dark. Go figure.  :-\

That just makes the fish easier to find though Chet!! :D :D

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

sawdust

Amazing how things change with time. I was visiting with my grandfather last couple days, he will be 92 on Sunday. I was showing him my cellphone, he is amazed at the changes during his lifetime. Wireless used to go hand in hand with the outhouse!
My buddy the logbuilder just put power and water in two years ago.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

farmerdoug

Well I am all for the wireless option.  ;D I just wish that we could get it here.  ::) I also wish that cell phones, DSL and cable modems worked here also(dailup is so slow when you see what others get).  I can tell you one thing I am glad we have telephone and electric here that is pretty reliable.  smiley_thumbsup I understand the Amish ways but they are not for me.  After all I would have to be shunded for using a computer for my daily fix of the Forertry Forum.  smiley_computer_monitor
Doug
Fargo, MI

iain

Does this mean i got some thing to do now when im wandering back for the next cut 8) :D

iain

flatsawyer

Jeff the wireless works good with the BlackBerry. This could really make it nice when out and about.
I can keep up on all that's going on here.

Jeff

Great to hear!  Can you guys log in and post on those things or can you just read?  Didn't know if they have the ability to set a cookie or not.

SwampDonkey

Heck, I got 4 cell phone towers within 10 miles and still can't get no service at home. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 16, 2005, 03:35:18 PM
Heck, I got 4 cell phone towers within 10 miles and still can't get no service at home. :D :D :D

Donk, ya gotta buy a "phone"

SwampDonkey

I got one  :-\ and I'm looking right at one of the Dang blasted towers up there on the Dang mountain, only it's Unicell. All the Dang Aliant towers are behind hills, but close by to.  :'(

sigh.......
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KiwiCharlie

Jeff,
I wondered that too and was going to ask you!!  :D  I couldnt find a way to log in etc, so my guess it that you can read only.
Cheers
Charlie.

Thank You Sponsors!