iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Ride

Started by chet, April 07, 2005, 02:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Ron Scotts for sale ad for da '70 Chev. got me reminiscing about some of da rides I once had dat I really loved. It's kinda of a tough call for me so I'll limit it ta two. First love was a '68 GTO,  :) I sure wish I still had dat baby. Then in '75 I bought my first brand new vehicle, a Datsun pickup. Me and dat Datsun were best buddies for a long time.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

etat

Car's I've had include

66 chev impala (wish I had it back)

75 ford torino elite (piece of crap)

73 lincoln continental (girls would just flog to that car for some reason :)

76 ford pinto (red with white stripe, snazzy little car)

70 chevrolet pickup (wish I had it back, drove it for years and painted it blue and white)

62 ford pickup (about wore out, the day I bought it the gear shift fell off)

70 Buick Electra 225 four door (hauled hay for three days for it)  Really it was a tank instead of a car.

66 chevrolet pickup red and white (wish I had it back)

69 Ford Fairlain, two door (The wife and I kept it as either a primary, or               backup  car for years and years)

78 chevrolet pickup (really rough on gas but a good truck)

86 chevrolet silverado (the only vehicle I ever bought brand new, piece of crap)

72 ford pickup ( wore out but I drove it for a long time )

78 Ford 1 ton dully (murder on gas but a solid and STRONG truck)

86 Ford Thunderbird, (good for a long time) Wife rolled one and I took the motor and put it in another Thunderbird, same year car.

93 Toyota (heck of a little car)

87 Ford 3/4 Ton (one day it burnt to the ground not long after a new transmission and a complete motor rebuild, hadn't really had it long, no insurance but liability and the fire really hurt my feelings.  Had a 12000 pound warn winch on the front of it that burned

89 Ford long wheel base 3/4 ton single rear axle (my dad still drives it today to mess around in, just had the motor rebuilt last winter.  Says it drives better than his newer dodge)

78 Camero, motor stuck now but still fairly good body and a fast car in it's day. And 78 camero z28.  They're sitting in the pasture and gonna be a project one of these days.

95 pathfinder (the second one my wife's on, Jeremy rolled the first one)

2000 Ford F250 four wheel drive full power everything.  Single rear axle and long wheel base.  Absolutely the best, and favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

Those are the main ones.  Quite a few mostly wore out ones in between that didn't last long.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Furby

CK,
Was the 93 Toy a Celica ???

etat

It was a Camrey and one tough little car.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Rockn H

A lot of cars come to mind.  Some seem to become a part of the family, good memories attached to em I guess.  The one I wish I had kept, I reckon, is a 53 Ford P/k with a big block I  had in school.  The one I miss is an 84 Isuzu diesel pup.  It was ugly as sin, but it got 50 miles to the gallon. ;D  My favorite, that I'll never part with is a '68 Chevy that was my grandpa's.

fstedy

8) 8) 8) My Favorite was a 1961 Ford Starliner with the 390 cid engine 375 HP High Performance engiine. It was really fast for its day. Currently my ride is a 1982 Chev K20 4X4 that I restored about 3 years ago. Reworked 350 cid with headers, custom exhaust, Accel ignition, Edelbrock 4bbl carb with Edelbrock manifold, 5" of lift and aset of Trexus 33/12.50X16 tires and rims. It was a fun project did everything but frame off.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

jjmk98k

My first love, 1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder.
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Roxie

66 Chevelle Malibu....six cylinder...three speed on the column   :D

70 Chevy Nova, 350...open headers.....Crager Mags....four on the floor.  
I won money and trophies at Cecil County Dragway in the 1/4 mile!   :D
Say when

Coon

Man oh Man!!!! I wish I had a scanner right about now.   I could show you guys smoe pics of the vehicles I used to fix up.
I have got 8 favorites:
  1.   68 Coronet RT covertible w/440Magnum 4spd one fast and beautiful car I did up for a car show and a local cruiser.

2.   '56 Chev shortbox stepside w/327 high rise edelbrock intake and carb,
        auto tranny and the works.

3.  '69 Ford Cougar w/390 bored to the max.  Car was descent in shape
       until I rolled it.

4.   '72  Chev shortbox  4x4 w/383 Stroker-  sweet ride but hard on fuel
        and trannys.

5.  '65 Chev shortbox stepside-   still restoring.

6.  '78 Pontiac Firebird Formula w/455 Oldsmobile Rocket in it.   Awesome
       1/4 mile racer w/4:11 posi.

7.   '79 Chrysler Newport w/225 slant six.   Ugly BEAST but awesome
        shape and fuel economy w/ power to spare.

8.   The coolest POWER HORSE of a vehicle is my '77 Chev 1 tonne dually
         w/ a 4406 John Deere 6 cylinder diesel in it.  The engine came out of
          a JD 7700 combine.  We had to manufacture many parts as well as
          remanufacture the fire wall.   Some of the things we had to do was:
          build the top end water jackets, throttle linkage, belhousing, and
          build our 4 motor mounts.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

redpowerd

havent driven anything that could out handle my 1990 supercharged mercury cougar. that and it was fully loaded with every bell and whistle you could have in a car, cept gps.
the independant 9 inch rear is something that should be under any hot rod, real tight.

but that supercharger made the head gaskets pop like orvile reddenbocker was building them. but for a heavy car, it went like God was kicking it down the road.

need to get that thing goin again. studs for the heads are in order.
it will be the fourth new head gasket set. and it hasnt run in 6 years.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

tnlogger

this thead brings back the memorys  :)

#1  1957 chevy sedan delivery jet black one seat

#2  1961 rambler  uglyest car i ever owned

#3 1964 impala rag top 327 with a slush box.

#4 1969 AMC javalin 390 cid 4 speed fast very fast. ( this was the car that helped me get the love of my life) pat.  ;)

#5 as we jump to present day 83 chevy costom van  ( need something to go to the piggy roast in)
gene

Percy

Sold it in a fit of supitity(66 vette coupe , 327 solid lifters, and AC) :'( :'( :'(

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kirk_Allen

68 Chevy 4-door Impala

67 GTO Hardtop - Rebuilt from the ground up - What a Hoss!

82 Chevy Chevette - Should be shot on this one - Got rid of my Goat because my first wife hated being thrown back in the seat when I mashed the gas >:(

67 Chevy Step Side Pickup

86 Isuzu Trooper - 330,000 miles and still going!  Gave it to our farmers kid. He uses it to mash coyotes in the winter by running them down in the corn fields.  Not my idea of legal hunting but the truck still runs like a beast.

93 Chevy Suburban - Currently at 480,000 miles 8) 8) - Love Mobil 1

Dream List!

67 GTO Hardtop ;D

Doc

I can only think of one out of the waaaaayyyyy tooooo many I have had over the years. My first car, a 1971 Chevelle 350 Malibu. It didn't take long to find a big block for that one, and have lots of fun. I do indeed miss that car.

I can't say as I have had too many that I really miss too much. Most of the Fords I have had have dropped trannys early in life, and Chevies started smoking. I never buy new cause I don't want the new model hassles......with my luck I would buy the lemon year.

I want a vehicle that doesn't get stuck in traffic, never runs out of gas, can be rolled over and back on its wheels and drive away. It shoudl never be considered worn out for too many miles......

I have a 1995 S10 with 210K miles on it, and 5 transmissions (2.2liter engine, and junk tranny design). Still has the original motor. Not enough power to get out of its own way even when new, but it gets down the road and totes a load (when it has a tranny).

Doc

moosehunter

1987 Harley FLT, rode it to Key West and proprosed to my wife while there. Had to get rid of the bike, I think I'll keep her. I can get another bike someday. I may never find another lady like this :)

Also was very fond of a truck I built. '79 f100 cab 74 box 73 4x4 frame 70 390 mercury bored to 396 77.5 front axle, Boss "v" plow, detroit locker front, ford posi rear. I once pulled a ten wheeler, loaded, out of the mud!! I don't think I ever hooked onto some thing I couldn't move with that beast!

MH
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Larry

Had to think about this one for awhile but then the choice was clear. ;D

1955 lime green Nash Metropolitan with peace sign on the doors and two surfboards on top.  Normal crew was bikini clad young visitors from the mainland. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Had to fill the gas tank once a month or so with a thimble full of fuel. ;)

Circa early 70's....Oahu Hawaii all thanks to Uncle Sam and the USAF. 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ernie

During a very misspent youth about 1960

1954 Austin Healey 100M

Too bad about what I did to the engine :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

EZ

Way to many to list, was'nt a very good driver, I guess. ;D
68 chevelle ss, 396
69 chevelle ss, 396
68 impalla 427 RAT
57 chevy 396
69 roadrunner 440 Only had it one day. ::)
EZ

Norm

First car was a 67 Camaro with a 3 speed on the floor. Dumped a 283 in it with tractor mufflers that kept falling off, boy was it ever loud. :D

Fastest car I've owned was this one, piece of junk mechanically but boy would it ever go.

Curlywoods

1955 Chevy
1966 Nova SS
1969 Chevelle SS 396
1971 Chevelle SS 454 Cowl Induction

Didn't own a one of them, but these are my favorites :-)
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Captain

Geez, Chet I thought you were going to talk about your favorite Motorcycle.

I took my new used 2000 Sportster 1200 Sport for its first ride with me last night.  I sold my last Sportster, an 883, in 1992, and graduated to big bikes with a monthly payment.  When the wife went back to college, the 2000 Road King Classic got sold.  I just picked up the Sprotster in December, at least I own this one free and clear.  No danger of budget elimination!!  Good to be on a Harley again, I forgot how nimble the Sportsters are and the 1200 is plenty fast.  With the advent of my son, I don't do the riding I once did anyhow.

Captain

estiers

As I have owned mainly junk, my first being an 84 Buick Century with no rear defrost (growing up im Michigan, you need rear defrost!).  I would have to say my favorite ride is the current one.  2004 PT Cruiser Metallic Red.  Little car on the outside, but rather roomy on the inside.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Curlywoods

As someone else already mentioned, I have never owned any cars that would turn heads, but my favorite is my present Ford F-250 Powerstroke 6-speed Lariat.  First vehicle that I ever owned that I bought what I wanted instead of thinking about everyone else in the family first  :D
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

pappy

Had some good and some bad but the most memorable one was a 1977 Jeep CJ7 ... bought new with 26 miles... great all around ( tad chilly during winter)  use to hit the woods roads... leave the hard top in the bushes drop the wind shield down... put 'er in low range and 1st gear... foot of the gas... leg up on the left mirror.. gun on the hood and bird hunt... wish I had that one back  :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Murf

Like CK my favourite ride is a truck, a F-350, 4x4 dually with a tweaked up Power stroke diesel mill.

Second place is my ole' BMW, a 750i complete with the Autobahn melting 5 litre V12 in it. I don't know what they designed this car for, but am I ever glad they did, it will quite happily scoot down the highway at well above 100 mph with 4 adults in it. Loaded, loaded, loaded, and spooky quiet. It does everything but smile for you.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Thank You Sponsors!