iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many saws?

Started by SnoJetter, April 26, 2005, 08:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnoJetter

Just curious...how many saws do you guys own, for what jobs, and why?  For a long time, I've always kinda figured one saw was enough for most jobs.  I just cut firewood for myself, so I used my dad's 026 as a feller/bucker/limber.  But I've recently discovered multiple saws come in handy!  For example:

I have 4.

Stihl 029 w/ 18" bar - my dad bought me this saw as a surprise for...just because he figured it was time I had my own saw rather than use his all the time.  That was about 5 years ago.  I use it primarily as a feller.

Stihl 031 w/ 18" bar - Gramps gave it to me as a fixer-upper.  It didn't need much work, and it works well.  I use it primarily for bucking, though I use it as a feller (not often cuz it leaks gas out the breather hole when the tank is full  :D )

Jonsered 535 w/ 18" bar - limber and bucker.  Gramps favorite saw is a 535, and being light it doesn't wear a guy out using it when you gotta move it around such as when limbing. 

Jonsered 455 w/ 16" bar - this one isn't running well, but I plan to use is as a limber when I get it fixed.

And I just bought another 535.  Why??  No good reason except that I just like that saw so doggone much!  I've always considered myself a Stihl guy, but I find there is room in the garage for some Red, too.

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN

rahtreelimbs

Roughly 25..............but who is counting??? ;)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Sawyerfortyish

Ditto that last post. Between the sawmill ,firewood processor , several trucks, and three farms. I think I have hmm not sure. Now you made me stop to take inventory. I hate to walk to far to get a saw.

logger

I have 4 of my own. 

Stihl MS440 Magnum- Feller, Bucker, Limber.  Mostly Feller. 8)

Stihl MS460 Magnum-Feller, Bucker, Limber.  Mostly Feller and bucker.

Stihl MS280- Limber, Bucker, Some Felling.

Poulan Pro 220- some of everything.  Nothing to brag about, although a good saw.

Stihl MS361, Stihl MS660 Magnum- want to get soon!!!!!!! 8) ;D :) :o

220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

SawTroll

I have 3 functional firewood saws:

-Husky 353G; my wife bought me that one - and it is really is all I need. :)

-Jonsereds Raket 621; my father in law gave me his old saw when he quit sawing at a age of 85. Saw is 35 years old, and still going strong. :)

-Stihl MS 361W, the one I bought myself. ;D

I also have some even smaller saws, but don't use them any more.

A 20" dbh tree is a really big one where I live. :'(
Information collector.

RSteiner

At times there have been four chain saws around the place but the combination that works best for me is two. 

I like a bigger saw for the felling and bucking operations something around 4.5 cubic inches displacement.  Then there is the smaller and ligther saw for the limbing operations, I save firewood down to about 2" diameter or less sometimes.  I have developed the attitude of a friends grandfather, if it is worth cutting it is worth keeping.

Having two saws is handy when you get one stuck.  Using a ligther saw for limbing really makes a difference in the fatigue department. 

Randy
Randy

SnoJetter

Sawtroll, I've got my grandfathers 621 down here at my place, too.  He didn't give it to me...I just "borrowed" it to test it out.  That big heavy saw cuts like none other I've ever used.  Gramps is 80 and prefers a lighter saw now.

Kyle

SawTroll

Kyle; Oh yes, it is heavy - actually it weights about the same as a Stihl MS460.
I mainly use it for bucking logs into firewood length - not in the woods.
The performance of the old saw is rather amacing, given that it is only 56 cc's and about 2.6 kw.
I run mine with a 3/8"x8 rim sprocket, which I think was standard on these saws - 16" bar, and 73LP chain - and it cuts real fast.

Mine is one of the first ones, with no safety features except a low plasic handguard in front of the handlebar. There were several variants from 1970 to about 1984.

Gypo, do you still have the late model 621 pictured some years ago on another chainsaw forum? That one is the nicest looking 621 I have ever seen.....
Information collector.

jjmk98k

I have 4 saws,

a old Remington Mighty Mite bantam..... runs fine with it's 14" bar, i take it into the woods on my quad incase I need to clear a small tree or some other trail blocking problem, small and light....

Husqvarna 141 my pallet cutting saw, if it gets beat up on a nail once in a    while, i am not too upset, I like cutting the hardwood clean pallets for starter wood.... Usually cut 20+ pallets in a weekend and it gives me plenty of kindling..

Husqvarna 350 for general use, firewood cutting, small time felling

Husqvarna 372 XP  still pretty much a new saw for me, but it'll be used to cut lenghts of trees into firewood sized chunks. Maybe do some small time freehand milling to make some benches and tables for around my camp...

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Ed

Ya can't never have to many saws!!!

These are "shared" by myself & my father....If the chain is sharp, it's his, if it's dull, mine.

2 Stihl 020's,  14" bars, both with the "tail" handle- Trimming & limbing.

Stihl 026  16" bar- General purpose firewood saw.

Stihl 032  20" bar- Used as more of a back-up saw, when you hang one up.

Stihl 046  20" bar- General felling & bucking, when the 084 isn't needed.

Stihl 084  24, 36 & 60" bars- Big tree felling, bucking & ripping blocks into manageable sizes.

Stihl ht75 pole pruner- For reminding me I need to see the chiropractor.

Husky 254xp  16" bar- Another general purpose firewood saw.

Husky 371xp  20" bar- Dad's saw, he says my Stihl 046 starts to hard.

I also have a friends 026, he said "take it!, use it!, I haven't run it in 5 years"   8) 8) no problem  ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jjmk98k

Jeff, now thats cool to see! Almost as neat as the Russian saw we all gabbed about not too long ago...

the fist one is interesting, can you expand a little more?
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Jeff

That first saw and the second are Barker Rim saws. Made by none other then our own Bro Nobles Grandpappy's company. Two of my most prized saws. smiley_smug01

Here is a lengthy thread on them.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=1161.0

redpowerd

is the red one you got there in original condition?

looked at a few links but didnt see much info on it. shes a beaut!

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

OneWithWood

Stihl MS460 Magnum - falling saw
Stihl MS440 Magnum - bucking, limbing saw
Stihl 038 AV Farm Boss - yard saw
Stihl 019T - TSI saw
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Chris J

Jonsered:  2--801s (1 sort of runs & 1 parts).  3--670s (West Coast runs, 2 parts).  2--Unknown (haven't put any real effort into IDing them; parts saws at best).

Husqvarna:  1--51 (almost like new-still needs to be 'ran in' & readjusted).

Stihl:  1--025 (runs, needs oil pump).  2--011 (one runs, other needs ignition system I think).  2--009 (both not running).  1--015L (needs ignition system, which I have, but saw doesn't appear easy to work on, also a mechtech said it's a difficult saw to repair).  Have quite a few misc parts for 011 & 009; probably enough for a complete saw, give or take a few parts.

David Bradley:  1--I can never remember the model #; it's in a thread here somewhere (not running, & I doubt that I'll ever work on it).
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Jeff

Quote from: redpowerd on April 27, 2005, 12:22:01 PM
is the red one you got there in original condition?

looked at a few links but didnt see much info on it. shes a beaut!
Yep, original, found in a barn condition. ;D  It was hardly used and mostly like new.  Actually, the other one is almost as nice. It is an earlier "folding sawing machine"  It is natural ash. The ones made in the 1890's, like that one, did not have paint. It is on our mantle now, but still, very functional

Chris J

Jeff-the saw with the wheels is cool.  What's its story?  In general, were those used much?  Thanks.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Jeff

Thats an ottawa drag saw one of the last models built in the early 40's. Dragsaws were used all across the country and built by several companies. You can usually always find a running example at old engine shows. Mine runs, and since I found almost a new old blade for it, it really cuts quite well.  The ottawa actually had a felling artachment available for it, but those are very rare. Not hard to figure out why. Not something you could move real quite if a tree decided to go the wrong way. :)

redpowerd

real nice find.

im allways "checking" old barns for any kind of wooden implement.
id have something like that on my mantle too.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

oldsaw

Go out with an 066 and Homie Super XL.  If I've got the room, I'll bring the Homie 150, just in case.

066 runs Alaskan mill, and does the "big jobs", the Super XL gets the smaller stuff

Simple, no?
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

saw_nut

Hello everyone, here is a list of my saws. I am a logger and they are used in all forestry applications.

Redmax- G5000

Husky-    346XP,346XPG,346EHP
                262XP,181SE,285

Stihl-      024 Super,026,MS260,MS260 Arctic
               034,036,MS361EHP,064,088EHP

Ironwood

SIX TOTAL. I cut furniture sapling wood with two Husky 335xp, and one 009 Stihl (very durble but heavy). One Husky 257, medium stuff/ firewood. Two Husky 394XP's, one for big felling/ cutting 32" bar, one with 6' bar for trueing up root swells on stumps for table bases and running 40' overhead chainsaw milling with 50"? bar (don't remember exactly)

Reid

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Al_Smith

Well,lets see,McCulloch SP 125,Sp 125C,Sp 105,Sp 81 ,700 ,7-10 ,6-10 Super 10-10,10-10,610,Super 44A,3 250's ,650 geardrive,120 [junk].Lombard Comanga,Lightning 2.Homelite 2100S.Stihl  048,048,042,038Super.2 little Poulans[my climbers].In addition,around 20 or so in various stages of non functionality. smiley_thumbsup_grin

Corley5

395 Husky, 372 Husky, 65 Husky, 2094 Jonsered, 625 Jonsered, 49SP Jonsered, an Eager Beaver McCulloch (hate to admit it but it's kinda handy for small jobs)  Some old blue Homelite parts saws and one that used to run ;).  Never could get the hang of pumping the oiler on it ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!