iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: I Hate Harry Homeowner  (Read 5832 times)

Offline rebocardo

• Senior Member x2
  • Atlanta GA
    • Share Post
Re: I Hate Harry Homeowner
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 12:02:36 AM »
Guess I have been lucky, people I have cut down or removed trees for free were very grateful. On the only job where I damaged property (free tree removal next to a car port) the lady just asked that it not leak. So, $25 of new shingles and wood it was done and we were both happy. Plus, now I always use at least two lines on any tree near a house no matter how small.  One of life's cheaper lessons :D

> I have noticed that cheap people are nearly impossible to please where as people who
> will always pay for what they get are some of the nicest people around.

That is the truth 100%.

I stopped a scrap metal guy going by my house to haul stuff away. I asked how much, he said for free since he gets paid for the metal. He took my mufflers, cat. cnvtrs, rotors, gas stove, railings, fencing, scrap steel, exhaust pipes, my old pick up bed, broken lamps, and weed eater.  I asked nicely and he even took my 33" cut in 1/2 mud tire. I paid him $25 anyways. Originally all I was willing to pay was $10 to get rid of some stuff, he made more money by being honest and working hard in a 1/2 an hour then I ever would have paid him originally.  I was looking for metal for him, even found some 1/2 plate to give him. I like good honest service  :)

Offline Camp Run Farm

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 07:17:22 AM »
Thirty years in the commercial contracting business and I have a PHD in scumbag recognition.  A couple of rules will save you a ton of grief, NEVER work for an attorneyor a general contractor, if you have a bad feeling about a job don't walk away, RUN!  The bank doesn't saw lumber and you shouldn't finance projects!!!!  GET THE MONEY!

Offline Ga_Boy

• Senior Member x2
  • Been rode hard and hung up wet; more than once.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 07:34:57 AM »
I guess some good has come from all this.

Yesterday I was killing weeds in my yard when two dump trucks came rumbling down my road.  One of them was from Firday.

They start heading to where I was dumping on Friday.   I had to go mark a lot for trees that I getting, so I get on the phone to call my buddy to ask how many loads I can expect, I want to be there to direct the trucks.  I did not get him so I left a message.

I direct the first truck to where I want him, then go to the second.  The first truck dumps his load, the driver gets out to talk to me, he tells me that this stuff is from another local contractor's site; not my buddy's.

Well now I am real confused, I know of this other contractor but did not know he was sending dirt to me.  The driver tells me that my place is closer than the pit and these two guys will be dumping at least two loads per day this week.  This way they get home quicker.

8) 8) 8) 8)  10 loads of free clean fill.   8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Life ain't so bad after all.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Offline Brad_S.

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 11:01:32 PM »
Mark,
I've had experience with fill.  smiley_annoyed01
 Best thing to do is hook up with a local site contractor, the bigger the better, and give him exclusive use of the area you want filled. Otherwise, if these dump truck guys were independents, next time they have a load, they'll remember your site and dump there, whether it's stuff you want or not. I hooked up with a guy who ended up sending hundreds of loads of clean fill and provided a dozer every time as well.
My two hard earned cents on fill. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Offline Quartlow

• Senior Member x2
  • Amuture Sawer, master wood destroyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 01:23:45 PM »
I quit doing stuff for free a long time ago, Now I may barter  :D In fact my firs sawing job is still here. One of those a friend of friend of friend deals. Brought up one cherry log and about 25 decent pine logs. Wanted the pine cutinto 2X stock for a shed. he had more logs than he needed and I needed some pine so I told heim if he came up and helped I would cut his stuff for free as long as we didn't hit any metal, and I got what was left. that was last summer. I sawed the cherry log and stacked and stickered it since I hate to see cherry wasted the pine sat around till a few weeks ago. I've called him 8 or 9 times and tolds him this wasn't his persoanal storeage yard. Last time I called him told him he had 30 day or the logs where mine that was 4 months ago. needless to say his pine logs are going into my new shop  :D :D :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »
I don't blame ya Quartlow, if ya don't do something soon the worms are gonna be in those pine logs.  :-\

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Husky for homeowner use

Started by KarlP on Chainsaws

19 Replies
Last post April 19, 2004, 06:33:32 AM
by Hunter
xx
homeowner saw for father in law

Started by barbender on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 05:53:09 PM
by Cut4fun