iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I GOT BROAD BAND

Started by Ga_Boy, June 11, 2005, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

After five years with dial up my local cable company finally got braod band to my neck of the woods.

The kicker is I live 30 miles from Washington DC and I could not get broad band or DSL.  The bad part is new construction is poping up all around me. >:(

The good part of that is more logs. 8) 8)

I GOT BROAD BAND.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Dan_Shade

:)

it's hotter down here than it was up there!

got the load undone, used my winch and parbuckled all but the last one off.  at that point I quit.

It was good seeing you again, Mark, thanks again :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

Yep, Broad Band rocks 8) 8) 8)
...........if ya have a fast enough puter. :-\

Ed_K

I wish I could have broad band  :'( we live so far in the hills it'll never come here  :(. What I'd like to see, would be a dish that does the puter & tv  8).
Ed K

Steve

I have had broadband for a few months and couldn't go back now. But what I really like is the broadband phone service I signed up for. Flat rate for all the calls you can make per month. Your bill and call history is on line at all times.
An 800 number is only $5 per month.
Now for the self serving ad. The service is Vonage. If you sign up through me you get a free months service and I get two. All you need to do is have me send them your email address and if you sign up we both get the bonus. I don't ever send in anyones address without  their permission.

I have had it since the first of the year and you can't tell the voice quality from a land line. They have several differnt packages.

Sorry if this doesnt' sit right with some, I just couldn't resist.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Don R

I've had cable access for some time. It is great. You might want to look into the voip telephone service. My phone bill dropped from over a hundred a month (5 Daughters to keep in touch with) to twenty. Good luck you're going to feel like your flying now. Don

KiwiCharlie

Ive just moved house, and the new area doesnt have broadband yet, so Ive had to go back to dialup!  Now thats agonising after having a fast connection!!
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

maple flats

Not sure what you need to do but you can get satilite internet with a dish. It may need to be a seperate dish, don't know. This type of service is fast.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

isawlogs

I wish I could get the high speed here ... they got it to the south of me and to the north of me ...   to far north for the southern connection and not close enought to the northern  one ...  just cant win .   ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

;D :D

Just one more fellow forum member I may be calling on to help retrieve MrSID map tiles via browser and email on accassion. Well, ya never know. ;D

:D :D :D :D :D :D And there's quite  a list of other fellers joining this thread too.  smiley_roller smiley_thumbsup

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

Must be some sort of one upmanship. First Chet gets a dedicated dial up phone line and now Ga_Boy gets Broad Band.    Well I went out and bought a new string for my cans and string phone. 8) ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

chet

Pigman,
Did ya get da regular string or da really fast ultra high speed string?  ???   :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

pigman

Chet, I got the high speed type. 8)  I can get about 2000 bytes per second. The problem is I could only afford 2000ft. It won't reach half way to the mailbox. The  wife has to run the rest of the way to the neighbors house to send the signal on the regular phone lines. :(  She runs pretty fast but gets tired after several trips. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

chet

Maybe ya could splice in some of dat hay bale twine ta git closer to da neighbors.  Save da wife some distance dat way.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D
Only here!
:D :D :D :D :D

Ernie

Yesterday I emailed our telecom outfit about their "jetstream" connection.

This is their reply

Our Response 12/06/2005 04:06 PM
Thank you for your enquiry about whether JetStream is available on 06 7523542.

After carrying out some further tests, we have determined that your line has equipment installed on it that may not be compatible with JetStream. This equipment is used to improve the quality of normal voice and data services on your line (such as dialup internet and fax), and is required because of the distance you are located from your exchange.

For this reason we recommend that you choose a Connection and Wiring setup so a Telecom accredited service technician can visit your premises and complete any necessary wiring, and test the JetStream connection speed. Should the technician be unable to establish a connection that meets our minimum requirements you won't be charged for their visit.

We are the last phone on an ancient copper exchange and only manage to stay connected at 33.6 because one of the son's school mates is the technician who add the goodies to our line
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Engineer

Ed,

You can get both computer and tv on a dish, it's just two separate dishes.  Try DirecWay.  I have cable now, but have to abandon it when we move to the new house.  I have few friends with DirecWay satellite internet, and they all love it.

Jon

maple flats

I have a friend with DirecWay and he loves it, I thought he had to get a second dish but was not positive.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

mometal77

ga boy,
lucky duck.  I live ten min from dsl.  Dial up is the only thing here.  And during the winter we are the lasts to have our road plowed in the county.  Sure you cold do the direct tv satellite way lot of money.  More logs huh lol well just think of the rising property taxes same thing is happening east of me.  People complain about the bare side of mountains thats not what bothers me.  What bothers me is when i see hill sides that where logged then see houses.  Awful sight i think..
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Ga_Boy

I have been trying to get DSL or Boradband for about 5 months now. 

I just had a hard time understanding why I could not get either living so close to a larger metro area. ???

The thing I like the most is I can now check e- mail and do not have to wiat for a connection; well that and now the me and kids can be online at the same time and the phone is not tied up for hours on end.

The building in my area is at a fast pace, houses that sold 3 years ago for $100K are now going for $500K and the lot sizes are measured in square footage.  I don't see how people can live like that, I need woods around me not houses.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

ronwood

maple flats

I am using direcway and it works pretty good. My only problem with it is the progation delay that I have because of satellite. Surfing the web is works well but when I have to connect to do admin work on another computer things can be slower. Still better that dial.

You can you the same dish for both. It has to be the larger dish. I also have directv and I decided to you a seperate dish. Did not cost me any more.

ronwood
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

ksu_chainsaw

In the new house that we moved into, we lost out on our cable modem.  We went to a dial-up connection for about a week.  >:( We got rid of that ASAP.  We had a choice of satellite or DSL.  It took the phone company several trips out here to fix the lines, as we had an old lead into the house from the junction bos- they said that it had been there for at least 15 years. 
I liked the speed that the satellite had, but not the price.  The people that had the house before us had directway, and left the dish and modem here.  If you want farm market reports there is another company that uses the directway dish and gives you the complete market reports and the internet connection for the same price that directway wants for the internet only.

Charles

mometal77

I bought property two yrs ago for 38k and got a call from a realtor talking around 340k.  Only about four acres are usable and it sites like a right triangle going from one side of the river to the other crazy.  I swear they need to add birthcontrol to the city water.  They keep moving out here.  I thought 30min was far from town its spreading like wildfire.  Guy behind me on a hill is asking 500k for his place.  There goes the property taxes.
bob
deming,wa
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Ernie

Direcway sounds great and is available all around the asia/south pacific region except New Zealand #%@*^&%#
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Roxie

Our cable service is out of Maryland.  I have the TV's, computer and the phone on one cable line.  It's awesome.  I'm saving $80/month, and I only have one bill to pay instead of three different providers. 
The phone service is Vonage and I have unlimited calls within 610 and 215 area codes, and 500 minutes free anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.  That part of the bill is $24.99/month! 
I know you find this hard to believe, but I can't talk more than 500 minutes to anyone!   :D
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!