iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonebroke

Are those seed trees in the background or what?

Stonebroke

Bill Johnson

Stonebroke
In the case of Nighthawk Timber (as well as any other Crown forest operators on the Timiskaming Forest) there is a legal requirement to leave living, dying or dead standing trees for wildlife purposes. Our rule set calls for a minimum of 25 trees/hectare (12/acre) well distributed across the cutover of which 6 must be large living with 2 being at least 12" dbh).

Additonally, there is also be a requirement to leave uncut patches to provide additional cover for wildlife but this depends on the total disturbance area (combination of new and old cuts).
Bill

Ron Scott

Valmet 544x Forwarder. The Valmet forwarder works along with the Fabetech track processor. Here it picks up recently cut-to-lenght aspen wood products for carry to the landing/decking area. Maturen timber harverst; 7/08.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Well, I hope you have lots of big wood and good price.  ;) :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dom

I should specify that I do contract work for Rottne Canada.

Rottne Canada is going to try and do a demo of the H20 soon. When they do, I'll take some pics.

Here is a picture of the machine in the shop:

Ron Scott

Loading Directly From The Valmet Forwarder. The woodhauler is top-loaded directly from the valmet forwarder. Maturen timber harvest; 7/08.

~Ron

John_valmet

John_valmet

ill post more when i can resize my photos  ;)

Gary_C

Hello John. Is that a coincidence with your last name?

Here is my Valmet 840:

Seems strange they are both the same models, but I know they are. Where was that one made?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

John_valmet

yeah the name is probably cos i like valmet machines lol, it was made in sweden. used in the uk its a 1997 model a bit older than yours i suspect lol

John_valmet

this is my valmet 860 when i was working on a clear fell site in mid Wales.

Ron Scott

Well Done! What type of harvester were you supporting?
~Ron

John_valmet

lol there was three!! We had a Daewoo 225 with a Viking havesting head, Timberjack 1270C with a 758c head and also a (Silvatec Sliepner with a silvatec 560 head on demo). i have a photo of the silvatec.

Gary_C

John, nice forwarders and harvester. What lengths do you cut? I see you have two different lengths.

Do you have both an 840 and a 860?

I think all the black painted 840's here in the US were made in Gladstone, MI. and had Cummins engines but that could be wrong. My 840 was at least assembled in the US and had a Sisu 4 cylinder diesel and is a bit underpowered. The 840.2 had a 6 cylinder Sisu engine.

John_valmet

we cut too many different legnths gary lol in one of those pictures of the 860 i was loading fencing stakes at 5'6" then the second picture i was loading 10' saw logs. but we cut stakes 5'6", rails 12', bars 8', pulp/chip usually 8', different saw logs from 6' to 16'.yeah the sisu 6 cylinder is what was in our 860. we have a brand new 840.3 i dont have pictures of that one though and the 860. the 840 is capable to match to the 860. we had the bunk on the 840 extended so it can take two bays of 10' logs easily.

John_valmet

to be honest gary i have always been interested in what it would be like to work in the US on a harvesting site. Ive always been told by people ive worked with who have worked in canada and austraila that its the same as here only everything is much bigger lol.

Ron Scott

How large of a cutting area are you working with the 3 harvesters? Are there additional forwarders being used also? It sounds like you have a good product mix to sort and market.
~Ron

John_valmet

we only use two forwarders a new valmet 840.3 and the 860. thats enough to keep up with 3 harvestors i cant remember the actual size of the patch i just remember that there was approximatly 15 000 tonnes of standing timber to harvest  ::)

John_valmet

i hope this helps give you some clue to the size of the patch ron. its a shot from before the we started the site. the patch both sides of the road was harvested.
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.377658&lon=-3.435533&z=16.1&r=0&src=msl

JLeBouton

SwampDonkey

All you need FabTek, is the Youtube URL as typed below. Html code doesn't work in the forum threads.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3OisG3meFks

FABTEK 663 checking saw speed

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Quote from: John_valmet on October 23, 2008, 04:18:12 PM
to be honest gary i have always been interested in what it would be like to work in the US on a harvesting site. Ive always been told by people ive worked with who have worked in canada and austraila that its the same as here only everything is much bigger lol.

I am not so sure the jobs here are bigger. While we do have some 6-8000 cord jobs, it looks like you have the same size jobs there. We still have some 100+ cord jobs as the private woodlots are being more and more fragmented. And on many of those larger jobs, the loggers are still using big tracked feller bunchers along with big grapple skidders. Those jobs are not of much interest to a smaller cut to length operator, at least not to me.

John_valmet

yeah im not that interested in feller buncher - grapple skidding operations. infact i dont think in the uk we do anything like that to be honest. its more cut to length jobs. also skyline jobs too they were quite populor but less now because contractors tend to use harvesters and forwarders to do the skyline jobs. For cheaper rates than the skyline gangs. which i think is not very fair.

Ron Scott

The soil types, landscape and management objectives will usually guide the method and equipment we allow to perform the harvest.

Our selection harvests will be "cut-to-length" with chainsaws, harveters and forwarders and our pine row thinnings and selections between rows and clear cuts or land clearings, and chipping operations may use feller bunchers and grapple skidders.

~Ron

John_valmet

thats probably why there aint many if any feller bunchers work in the uk because the ground is too soft. i havent been on a site yet were our forwarders could go without band tracks or wheel chains.

Thank You Sponsors!