iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

The "hops poles" were a new product for me also. I wasn't aware of this market until this red pine producer had a market for them and started cutting them. I'm not that familiar with the growing of hops but I guess they need long poles up to 22 feet. With all the micro beer brewerys going in around here I guess that there is more demand for hops and the long pine poles necessary to grow them.
~Ron

beenthere

Googled "Hops growing" and several pics shown of the "pole" stand that the hops grow up.

one for instance
http://brewutah.blogspot.com/2011/01/start-hops-co-op.html

Appears to be a product that could withstand some hop-pole butt treatment with a preservative before it goes into the ground. Looks to be some real expensive layout that is involved.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

There is a small hop yard where I used to work. Similar setup. Rows of poles with cables strung between them. They used locust poles.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ken

That's a nice stand of pine Ron.  I've never had an opportunity to work in planted pine.  I'm guessing a stand like that would lend to high production even in a partial cut. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

NWP

I had a guy call me a year or so ago wanting long black locust poles for something like that. I think he said he was growing grapes or something. I didn't have anything but I was curious why used light/telephone poles wouldn't work?  They would be a lot cheaper. Around here you can usually get them for free and they are still in ok shape.

In the link BT posted, it looks like they are using pressure treated poles.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

barbender

I had to pick up some mats today, sorry for more of my fuzzy through the windshield photos ::) This was an area on a haul road that had a swamp "flowage" through it.

These things are heavy, you have to crowd right up next to the machine to lift them, even then the crane just barely lifts them over.

Too many irons in the fire

OlympicYJ

In WA state we had allot of hop poles made out of alder, Alnus rubra. I don't know of any alder hop pole markets now; but back when my dad was in high school, mid 60's, him and my uncle cut some but they were mostly doing plug poles for paper rolls. The hop poles went to Eastern WA mostly around Yakima. They used to grow lots of hops and still do but don't know how much anymore.

Kodiakmac

Quote from: Tom on March 27, 2002, 05:49:22 PM
I've heard snowbird farmers talking about cutting their trees in the winter like this picture shows.  Then they say they go back in the spring and cut the 10 or 12 foot butt cut.  :D

HEEE, Heeeeeeeee......... :laugh:

That reminds me of what my Dad used to say if we didn't tramp down or clean out the snow around the butt before falling (felling): "When are you going to come back and get that cord?"
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Ron Scott

The John Deere 1270 Processor lays down various products in this CTL red pine thinning. A Ponsee Gazelle Forwarder will follow and remove the cut wood to
the landing for trucking.

~Ron

Ken

Ron do you now what the pre and post harvest volumes were and let us know the age of the stand?

Mark Wentzell

I'm surprised they would be able to thin a red pine plantation with stems that size. all the rp plantations around here that I've seen don't have the crown size to even respond to a thinning when they reach that size. That stand looks really good though.

Dave Shepard

What is the red pine used for? We've got a bunch of it here on the farm. Other than 50 poles sold in the  '90's for a log cabin restoration, we've never found a viable market, or use on the farm, for it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ron Scott

Ken,

This is a 63 year old red pine stand. It was previously thinned about 13 years ago by removing every third row. Prior to this second thinning, the stand contained 12,500 trees at an average of .083 cords/tree for a 1,038 cords total volume. The basal area averaged 190-200 sq. ft.basal area.

The second thinning by a selection harvest took the basal area down to an avearge basal area of 90 sq. ft. 3,184 trees were removed for 265 cords harvested. Approximately
25 % of the trees were removed in this second thinning. It was primarily a thinning "from below" removing the worst first.

Dave,

Red pine is used for sawlogs and structural wood in the housing industry, cabin logs, utility poles, landscaping timbers, hops poles as in this harvest, pulpwood, etc. There is a good red pine market in this area.
~Ron

Ron Scott

The Gazelle Ponsee Forwarder moves the red pine products for sorting at the landing. Bougrand timber harvest 10/13.

~Ron

Ken

Time to bring this thread back up to the top

We are building a roadway through a 33 year old stand that was pre-commercially thinned in 1993.  Predominately balsam fir with some red maple and white birch.  Locally there are thousands of acres that will soon be available for harvest work again.  Although the piece size will be small these stands will be nice to work in due to their uniformity.

The new roadway will be slightly more than a mile with 3 turnouts and 4 pipe installations.  We pile the grubbings to one side of the roadway, dig a trench for road bed material and then fill in the trench with the grubbings.

One of the pipe installations required a no grub zone so we had to use a gravel truck to move enough material to cross this wet area.   

Cheers
Ken

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

~Ron

redneck

Great looking road! Are you building the road to access a future harvest site? or were you hired just to build the road?
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

240b

I work alone with my cable skidder and crane  These are from the summer and fall.

Ken

Quote from: redneck on November 27, 2013, 04:07:39 PM
Great looking road! Are you building the road to access a future harvest site? or were you hired just to build the road?
redneck   We are also cutting a bit more than a 1000 cord off the block at this time.  The company that owns it plans to wait another 5-10 years before harvesting the remainder.

240b  Nice pics except that second to last one.  It looks like it was a wet mitten day.  We sure don't get that quality of maple around here.

br389

Bobus2003

Been a while since I've been on here, kept overly busy this past year building a business and specialty equipment. Bought some beasts of the forest. Tigercat 630B,  Tigercat 635, JD 648GII and a JD 748E... the 635:

kiko

Nice to hear from u again bobus , are logging or buying and selling equipment? If you need any help with those tigercats, let me know I may be of assistance.  They are well build but different from the rest. 

thecfarm

Don't see to many of them rigs in my area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

logon

Thank You Sponsors!