iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Nice , we did get a good load of that white stuff this winter , we have to meet up some day ... maybe later this summer when I get back from the Arctic ,  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ed_K

Thanks Marcel, I ended up doing the side pixels to 450 then used another photo shop to crop it and it worked.
Ed K

thecfarm

Nice set up you have there.I myself would like to see the front of the log up off the ground some.I have twitched out some good size ones with what I have and I've always have the front off the ground,not much at times.Now that I look at your winch I can see why.When my winch is raised like yours,my mast,the top pulley is a good 5 feet from the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

That was a posed picture. I usually have the butt up on the plate.I've found that I like this arrangement as there seems to be less pull on the cable and the butt can slide around on the plate when cornering.
Ed K

Ron Scott

Logger's Pickup; GMC Diesel. Note large tool box, forwarder and skidder fuel supply tank, extra chain saw, chainsaw fuel supply tanks, oil supply container, and small tool box.  Malmborg timber harvest; 3/07

~Ron

Gary_C

Yep, that's a logger's pickup, bent tailgate and all.  :D

Most of the loggers here have gone to cargo trailers at the landings. Some are pretty well equiped with generators, welders, air compressors, fuel, hydraulic oil, spare hydraulic hoses, spare parts, etc.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

leweee

Quote from: Gary_C on May 22, 2007, 09:42:42 PM
Yep, that's a logger's pickup, bent tailgate and all.  :D
That's called a "Smileing" tailgate in the trade.. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

grassfed

Hey Marcel,
Man the spring snow was tuff this year. I wound up working on the skidder through most of the winter (outside and on the snow) I did not start cutting untill the third week in March and by then we had a good 3-4 feet of very heavy snow. I got a set of ring chains for the front and the 440 would slowly chug through most of it but man it sure sucked fuel till I got the trail packed. All in all the three loads of pulp that I sold covered about 75%of what I spent on chains, parts, fuel and oil ::) The good news is that things should be ready for next year ;D.
Mike

Ron Scott

Some more Woodhauler Names noted while on the road.

* Low Bidder II
* Heart Beat
* Slow Ride
* Snatcher
* Coca Cola Kid
* Big Red
* Golden Comet
* Dakota Shane
* Half Breed
~Ron

Ron Scott

Ponsee "Buffalo" Forwarder. New Page red pine timber harvest; 5/07.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Chipping Red Pine Tops. New Page red pine timber harvest; 5/07.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Ron, I feel we need to do something like this with a lot of our red pine plantations as soon as the crown begins to lift (lower limbs die off). 6' x 6' spacing is pretty close for pines after 25 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TeaW

What do they do with those Red Pine chips Ron ?
TeaW

Ron Scott

Dumping a Load Of Chips. Chips are being dumped at the New Page pulp mill in Escanaba, Michigan. Chips are being used for boiler fuel at the mill, cogeneration plants, and for heating local schools depending upon the quality produced.

~Ron

barbender

Looks like a pretty high dollar chipping operation! Do those drivers have the option of staying in the cab? :) One of my co-workers hauled grain for a while, dumping in Superior, Wisconsin. He had his wife along for a ride one day, they got to the dump and he gets out of the truck, thinking she will follow. She says she will just stay in the truck, so he tells her its a pretty extreme angle and she needs to get out. Well she makes a pretty big fuss so he let her stay. When she came back down she had her chips and coffee spilled all over her and her eyes were bugged out pretty good. They are divorced now
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

This was discussed on another thread where the chip truck had slipped backward on the ramp. No one should be allowed to stay in the truck.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Ponsee Delimber. Yes, this is a high dollar red pine timber harvest and chipping operation for biomass fuel. New Page red pine harvest; 5/07.

~Ron

inspectorwoody

Information told to me: Red/White Pine clearing WI DNR is having done to reduce fire risk. Muscoda,WI 6/07

First time I've seen equipment like this up close and personal. Pretty neat.  :)

Ron Scott

Loading Chip Hauler. New Page red pine harvest; 5/07.

~Ron

sawguy21

That is a serious chip trailer  :o Here that would be a B-train load.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Biomass Baling Machine. Red pine biomass is being baled and tied into bundles for transport and use as biofuel at the mill. New Page red pine harvest; 5/07.

[img]
~Ron

thecfarm

Very interesting Ron.Any  more pictures of that baler?I had read a few articles about this,but have not seen a machine like that one to bale the biomass.Do have pictures of  the bales piles up,being hauled.How much does each one weigh?Biomass around here is not a big deal for a land onwer even though there is one plant about 15 minutes and another one about a hour away.Seems to be more up north.IP went though their woodlots around here and I don't think any went for biomass,all logs and pulp.How are they getting the bales out,with a forwarder?Who made that baler?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

This is a John Deere machine. They were working in a partnership with the timber producer for the biomass operatrion part of the harvest and demonstration for the machine.

The bales were moved around by a forwarder stacked on site and then transported by truck to the mill site for cogeneration fuel. I believe they said that the pine bales weighed around 300 pounds.
~Ron

stonebroke

Is that more efficient than just chipping them?

Stonebroke

Ron Scott

The "slash bundler" machine allows for removal of addditional biomass fuel in the form of baled limbs, needles and tops which doesn't make for the "clean chips" normally required by the large boiler heating sytems, pellet manufacturing, etc. where  less green needles, leaves etc. is acceeptable.

This operation had 3  biomass fuel source operations going on at one time in addition to harvesting the pine pulpwood. One chipper was chipping the smaller delimbed roundwood for "clean chips" another chipper was chipping and tops and limbs with needles, "dirty chips", and the "slash bundler" machine was bundling the left over small limbs and leftover woody debris.

This was a "full tree utilization" harvest but with about 1/3 of the small slash, woody debris, and  fines retained on site for retention of soil productivity. 
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!