iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello Im New

Started by BBK, August 04, 2005, 06:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBK

Hello people. Just joined your forum. I am a farmer in Southern Maryland and we have had a circular mill working here since the 1930's. Its nice to have access to people who share the same interests.

Here's my first question. I need a new saw, (the one I have is a Hoe grandad bought right after WW2), and am looking at BH Payne, Pacific Hoe and Simonds. Anybody running a Payne saw. The other two mfrs I know of but I have no info on Payne.

Thanks
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

moosehunter

Welcome BBK!
Can't help with a circle saw question, but a new voice is always welcome!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

gary

smiley_clapping Welcome BBk! no help here either. You will probably have to wait till after the pig roast for answer to your questions.

Roxie

Hi BBK!  Just wanted to welcome you to the Forum.  Some of the nicest folks on the planet hang out here! 
Looking forward to gettin to know ya!   :)
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

Welcome BBK.  8)

There are several Members that have larger Circle Mills. We also have a Member from Menominee Saw . His handle is "Peach". He's a factory Saw Doc.

Do a search in the archives for New Saw Blade. Someone here bought one not too long ago.  Good Luck
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Welcome BBK, to the left you will see one of our sponsors, Menominee Saw. Give them a call and ask to talk to Peach. Tell him you are a Forestry Forum member and then proceed to pick his brain. Peach has hammered and repaired over 23,000 circle blades in has years as a saw filer/ Doctor. Hes your answer man.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thedeeredude

Welcome to the forum  BBK,
   you'll definately enjoy it here 8)

Part_Timer

Welcome to the forum.  I think Unclebuck runs a circle mill might ask him
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

tnlogger

welcom to the forum BBK your in the right place now. and dont forget we love pictures
gene

rbjones03

Howdy. Glad you decided to join us. :) :)
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fstedy

WELCOME
                                           smiley_biggrin01

Howdy Neighbor I'll second that. Its great to have another member close by. Don't forget to plant your tree so we know just where yer at on da map.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Ron Wenrich

Welcome to the Forum.  I'm running a Payne.  I've had Simonds, Hoe and Payne.  I had some problems with the Hoe, but they were resolved. 

For the price, the Payne is a good buy.  I haven't had any problems with the Payne, and it seems to be well made, for the most part.  I did have one that cracked, but you can get that with any manufacturer, according to my saw doc.  I think the difference is about $400. 

I used to run an F pattern, 54", 50 tooth 7-8 guage saw.  But, I've changed over to a B pattern, 46 tooth, 6-8 guage saw.  It is much stiffer, and has a gullet capacity about 1 1/2 times that of the F pattern.  The stiffer saw works better in the dense hardwoods.  I can saw hickory at the same rate as oak without saw flex.

Just up the road from you in PA. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jodi

BBK

Well gosh darn fellas, Y'all sure make a feller feel welcome.

Thanks for the info too.

ronwood

BBK

Welcome to the forum. Sorry that I can't help. I run a bandsaw.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

CHARLIE

Welcome to the forum BBK.  8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Pete J

I'll add my welcome too.  Start adding up those posts!

DanG

Welcome BBK!  Stick around and jaw with us for a spell.  You'll find that the folks here are friendly and helpful, and you just might be able to answer a question or two yourself.  Some of us have just moved in for the long haul. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

maple flats

Welcom aboard. Sorry, can't help you on the question. What type of farmer are you?  I grow blueberries and produce maple syrup besides having a swing blade peterson circle mill, and do many other things. You'll enjoy it here. These are real folks.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

BBK

Hello Maple Flats,

We run a cash grain operation, Corn Soybeans and Wheat. We plant about 2200 acres, most of it rented. The home farm has a large forrested area we utilize for timber sales and supplying my mill.

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey there BBK,

I am, well, live in Laurel, Md. I am currently on the road to the FF picnic.
I run a bandsawmill and my brother is VERY SLOWLY rebuilding an old Frick circle mill.

What sort of a Red tractor is that I see there, I just sold a 560 and have a couple of letter series Farmalls.

Welcome abord. Lots of great folks and an increadible amount of information here!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Fraxinus

Welcome from the mountains of New Hampshire.  Love those red tractors!  Right now I have 2 of them: a '48 M and a '41 A.
I work as a utility forester but come from a farming and logging background.  My family has a Lane #1 mill powered by a Case LAE.  Antique all the way! :D :D  Spend more time tinkering than running.  We just have it for our own use.  No custom sawing.
I worked in a band mill back in the '70s and '80s, as a filer, sawyer and supervisor.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Thank You Sponsors!