iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sub flooring

Started by thedeeredude, August 29, 2005, 08:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Is it necessary to use a subflooring in a log cabin or can you just put 2inch T&G right in?  And how do you seal the T&G so there's no air gaps?

Don P

Wellll, its no different than conventional construction. I've lived in old houses that had nothing more than 3/4" oak strip flooring applied directly over joists, no subfloor. I've also worked on old board and board floors, one layer diagonal, sometimes tarpaper, then a layer of boards perpendicular to the joists. I've used the 2" t&g on secon floors with no subfloor to make a v-groove ceiling and finished floor above. On the main floor we always have used 3/4 ply or osb and then the finished 3/4" floor. So yes you could, but I wouldn't, I also think either a double layer of 3/4" boards or ply and 3/4" would be cheaper and better in terms of strength. We are doing a screen porch on a timberframe with 2" t&g treated, the t&g arrived today, couldn't find KDAT stock, quite wet. I'll put it on stickers for awhile and then put it down without fastening anything but the outer piece for awhile. I'll leave out the house side piece and drive wedges in that gap and tighten them every few days till the end of the job and then screw them down and install the inner piece. Did that several years ago to one and they are still tight.

Thank You Sponsors!