The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Chainsaw Accidents  (Read 14437 times)

Offline oldsaw-addict

• Share Post
Re: Chainsaw Accidents
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2004, 04:30:27 PM »
Nothing bloody for me yet ;D.  Few saw tracks across the boots when cleaning brush out of fence rows.  Found myself in the bottom of a ditch one time when I didnít pay attention to tension in the tree when I cut the top off.  Cutting the top off the tree is always the scariest thing for me to do.  

Chain brakes Ė I thought the only purpose was to prevent kickback until I took GOL.  When making a felling cut as soon as the tree starts to go the brake is on with a flip of my wrist.  I can keep an eye on the tree as I go on my escape path.  Walking around a big tree where the bar wonít reach through Ė brake on.  Trimming fences when I walk Ė brake on.  After a while it becomes automatic and easier than putting on a seat belt in the car.  Maybe a small thing but I hate stitches.  Sorta funny the older I get the safer I get.

Hey, safe is better than sorry right? I  hate stitches too, they arent fun. I'll take a minor inconvenience over a major injury anytime, the one that gets me the most is trimming along canals and getting the saw stuck in a tree right above the water, all you can do is get the hatchet out, start chopping and hope the saw doesnt fall on you. I've done things like standing on a tree slip and fall right on another branch that is right below me, its not much fun to do that and hit yourself there, if you get my point.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2004, 05:35:05 PM »
Things that can get you in trouble fast if you don't know the proper techniques are leaning trees and hollow trees.

Noble,
Think this one is hollow enough?  Black oak always gives me trouble because the hinge wood is brittle and when you get one that is hollow itís real trouble.  Been doing TSI in Arkansas and run into a lot of trees like this up to about 3' dbh.  

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Stan

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2004, 08:17:55 PM »
Larry I used that brake on method with a Poulan that was hard to start, Wore out the brake band. Had to buy the whole side cover.  :-/ My Husky starts by the third pull hot or cold, I've been turnin it off to move. I think it is just as safe although a bit more tiring.  :)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Offline rebocardo

• Senior Member x2
  • Atlanta GA
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2004, 11:31:06 AM »
Try using the lean calculator on the left hand menu. I did one to figure out what I would need to correct a leaning tree I had.

Turns out if the cable is below the center of gravity, the load on the line is almost doubled! In my case that would be almost 8,000 pounds! Well beyond the working liits of 1/4 cable.

Only way to get the load to about 3,000 pounds on the line was to put the line almost at the top of the tree at 60 feet.

re: hollow log
Those are the trees that really scare me. Can look okay and straight on the outside and totally rotted on the inside. A killer for sure.

Online sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2004, 08:21:49 PM »
A fellow I worked with, an experienced logger, is now a paraplegic because of a "widow maker". He got careless showing someone how to drop a big spruce and the top hit another tree, snapped off and drilled him. His companion was supposed to be a minimum of 100' from the tree but was standing beside him. Mistake #2
I am left handed and had a bad habit of drop starting the big saws until one day I noticed a hole in my jeans just below the  bulge in my pocket created by keys and chainge. Never did that again.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Bruce_A

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2004, 05:25:41 PM »
If you fall timber, you will make a mistake sooner or later.  I have small scratches on the bones on my leg and a couple scratches on a couple fingers from those accidents before the days of chain brakes and chaps.  However we used to figure  that if you didn't make a mistake once in a while, you wern't doing anything.

Offline leweee

• Senior Member x2
  • Illegitimus non tatem carborundum
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2004, 10:38:23 PM »
Interesting fact : More people are injured from coasting chain than chain under power.
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Offline rebocardo

• Senior Member x2
  • Atlanta GA
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2004, 09:39:29 PM »
> More people are injured from coasting chain than chain under power

In that case, chaps are a good argument.

Offline Stephen_Wiley

• Forester.
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2004, 02:53:06 AM »

[size=22]CAUTION........CAUTION[/size]

This procedure should only be performed by a professional saw operator.  If you are learning find a qualified cutter to demonstrate.

Failure to do so, will result in injury, death or property damage.  The tree will barber chair badly if cut wrong.

Other 'unknowns' may also be detected by a professional in 'tree structural weaknesses' which will not be notable to the begginer.

Jeff, has stated this caution very well.......... as another professional I want to emphasize his point.  Get training by a qualified operator before attempting any falling techniques.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Offline Stephen_Wiley

• Forester.
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2004, 03:11:47 AM »
Ooooppsss.......

Late at night and I did not finish reading all the posts before posting the above reply.

Sorry guys if the info is redundent. ::)

Offline Stephen_Wiley

• Forester.
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2004, 04:09:40 AM »

[size=22]CAUTION......CAUTION[/size]

NOTE:  The above illustration does not depict all potential problems which may be present in removal.

Cabling up high has not been discussed or depicted in this illustration.

Again this method is only for the qualified.

Cutting is in the reverse order of falling a tree into the lean.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
serious chainsaw accidents

Started by knuckledragger on Chainsaws

35 Replies
Last post April 03, 2018, 05:07:48 AM
by Skeans1
xx
ATV Accidents

Started by Phorester on Health and Safety

54 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 12:04:41 PM
by Phorester