The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Felling Saws  (Read 13472 times)

Offline Seth

• Keep the chips flyin
    • Share Post
Re: Felling Saws
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2002, 06:51:14 PM »
Rob
I really like the Cannon pricey but worth it, They have very hard rails and not only is the tip hardened around where the replacable oregon sprocket tip goes but they harden the heels too. I am having a custom belly bar made right know at Cannon $260usd for the hotsaw. Seth

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2002, 07:00:54 PM »
Seth,

I've been thinking of trying one on my 385 and maybe my 064 where can I get them from?Are'nt the Woodsman Pro's that Baileys sells actually Cannon bars with a different name...

Later Rob....

Offline Kevin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2002, 07:01:49 PM »
A quick and dirty response.  ;D

What are chaps made from that will fill the chain.
Kevlar.

Does that mean that the chain doesn't stop, it just won't cut because the teeth are filled or does the material
actually stall the saw?
Doesn`t always stop it before the damage is done but it jams up the chain and reduces the damage significantly.

What can someone use to protect from kickback?
Cut with the rear end of the bar and not the tip.
Never allow the top of the tip portion of the bar to come in contact with anything.

Is there a vest made to protect ones neck?  How hot is this stuff?  Do professionals not wear it because it is
uncomfortable?
There is but I think for the most part it is viewed as over kill on the part of the pros.
Saw handling and  inertia brakes are better accident prevention when it comes to kickback.

I guess the everyday chainsaw operator doesn't own much safety gear because the saw is not their everyday tool. Anyone that owns a chainsaw should have the basic safety equipment.

Offline Seth

• Keep the chips flyin
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2002, 07:16:21 PM »
Rob
Right Woodsman Pro that Bailey's sell are Cannons with different paint.Madsen's sell Cannon as well.Seth

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2002, 07:27:36 PM »
Seth,

Thanks that's what I thought.

Kevin,

I'am a everyday  logger that uses my saws to make a living and of course I think that you should all have safety gear I always wear my Logger pants,Peltor helmet system,Husky ProTec logger boots,gloves and yes a vest,I know that all this is'nt very comfortable but it's protection and I also know that the saw will still bite thru whatever you have on just not as bad or severe I should say,I have been cut a few times even with my chaps etc but it only required 30 stitches instead of close to 100 due to my chaps..just my thought's

Later Rob...

Offline woodbeard

• Sailors have sea legs, sawyers have board feet.
    • Share Post
    • Dismal Guitars
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2002, 07:34:50 PM »
Tom, thanx, I think he's the Quaker oats guy's cousin- the one they don't talk about. What I meant was cutting up to the hinge, not thru it. My saws are stock, I don't do a lot of felling, but I think if I did, I wouldn't mind having a little more power in the same package. There are differences between the modifications for racing saws and "bread and butter" felling saws, one is meant to get you through a few logs real quick, and the other is more power, and durability. I think some of the others could describe this better, though. Anyhow I'll probably invest in some protective gear before anything.
George

Offline Kevin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2002, 07:34:56 PM »
Rob,
It seems to be the general contractor and home owner who neglect the safety wear, every serious logger I know won`t take any chances, there`s enough danger with working in the bush without being properly suited up.

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2002, 07:37:23 PM »
Now that is the truth...Seth know's all about safety gear he's a sawyer and a good one at that...Seth got any other good pics??
This topic is really active tonight..
                    later Rob..

Offline Seth

• Keep the chips flyin
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2002, 08:22:50 PM »
Rob
Thanks I have a few pictures.Here's a shot of my 044 with the muffler opened up 2 half inch ports, runs cooler and 10% gain in performance.The mufflers and carbs are so detuned now with the Epa standards.I run all my saws at 32:1.The only reason the manufacturs claim 50:1 is for the emissions.

Offline TJACK

• Forester Wanna-be
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2002, 08:23:00 PM »
Rob,

Which chaps do you use and recommend.  The Husky Catalog shows 3 different chaps, Pro Forest Logging Apron Chaps, Pro Forest Woodsman Chaps and Pro Forest Logger Wrap Chaps.  

I have the Pro Forest Logging Apron Chaps I use while cutting firewood.  They seem OK, although I haven't needed to see how well they work, thank god!

Thanks,

TJACK

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2002, 05:15:23 AM »
TJack,

I use the Pro Forest logger wrap chaps,I would recommened any of the above there all good,it's good to hear you have not put them to he test..

Seth,

Good shot of the muffler on that 44,I opened up my 385's muffler a few weeks ago big difference,I tend to run my saws at 40:1 a little richer than the lean 50 they call for I might make the switch to 32:1 on the next saw that I buy though..

Later Rob...

Offline KiwiCharlie

• Theres nuthin I like more than an UGLY log.......
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2002, 03:08:48 PM »
G'day Guys,

A mate of mine works on a felling crew, contracted to one of the largest forestry companies here.  To give you an idea of the safety required of contractors, if a worker is found sawing without one piece of safety gear, they are instantly dissmissed, even something like sawing with your visor up.  Once a week they all go for eyesight and hearing tests, provided by the forestry company.
On a side note, the crew of 7 guys use 066's with 20 inch bars as their choice.  The head feller uses an 088!!  :o :o
They work from 7.00 to 3.30 with one 1/2 hour break for lunch.  Only other stops for refuelling/filing etc.  At the moment they are working in a very sandy area which is proving hard on the saws.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A case for old Vintage Homie & Mac saws vs. new home owner grade saws..

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

22 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 09:01:56 AM
by Bret4207
xx
The old way of felling trees (with a felling axe)

Started by nebruks on Forestry and Logging

20 Replies
Last post February 25, 2012, 11:05:39 AM
by Jeff
xx
Any Pro's using Kit Saws or Clone Saws

Started by Thunderfist on Chainsaws

16 Replies
Last post November 02, 2018, 12:43:51 PM
by motzingg
xx
Felling my 1st Big Ash