iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Terms

Started by Deadwood, November 11, 2005, 01:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

I need a little help. Since I have been on here I have heard all kinds of new terms for logging related stuff. I am sure that a few of my terms were new to you as well. So what I was hoping was you would join in with me and add your regional logging terms as you read mine or think of your own. For instance, I read something about a pile of logs being called a "whack of logs?" In any case, some of mine you may have heard of, while others you may not have. I am in hopes that this turns into a rather fun post.

I'll start:

Twitch:     One turn of logs pulled behind horses, skidders, tractors, etc
Bucking:   Sawing trees into saw log lengths
Bunting:   Using a saw to knock protruding limbs off logs out in the yard
Whale Oil: Diesel Fuel
Peavy:      Device used to manuver logs in a pile, river, or on a saw rig
Saw Rig:   Band or Rotary sawmill
Lane:        A type of old circle saw mill
Choker:    Short chain used to attach a tree to a winch
Binders:    Cable to secure load to truck or brakes of a truck, skidder, tractor
Blowdown: Tree knocked over by the wind
Pumpkin Pine: Old growth pine with tight grained wood used in old homes
King Tree:   White pine over 36 inches in diameter

Thats all I could think of, but if I think of more, I will post again. Now it's your turn.

Ron Wenrich

Down here, a binder is a chain tightener used to tighten chains on a log truck.

Bunting would be termed as limbing.

A king tree is a wolf tree, but the species doesn't matter.  I think your king tree relates back to colonial times.  Any tree over 26" was considered a kings tree.  That's why you don't see any boards over 23" in colonial homes.  (I think those numbers are about right).

Saw rig is usually termed a head rig.

Frick is more common than Lane. 

Your twitch would also be known as either a turn or a drag. 

Whack of logs is a forestry forum term.  I think it originated out of the fertile minds of one of the Canadiens.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Timburr

Here's some from the other side of the pond....

Tush:             Turn, twitch or drag.
Snedding:      Limbing and bunting.
Conversion:   Bucking.
Ride:              Forest track.
Rack:             A skidding aisle to a ride.
Windthrow/windblow:  does this one need an explaination? :)
Hoppus foot: Log volume using a quarter girth measurement.
Coupe/cant:  A predertemined area of trees to be felled.

These are a few from our local logging jargon. Go 40 miles away and they use a totally different language.....like Welsh!!

Cheers Tim
Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

Here's some from east and west coast ;D

brow of logs - a huge pile of logs ready for the mill

whiffletree - a crossbar that is attached to the traces of a draft horse and to the vehicle or implement that the horse is pulling

a trace -  A way or route followed

parbuckle -  A rope sling for rolling logs up or down an inclined plane

boneyard (everyone's favorite ;D) - Yard where old and wornout equipment is stored until disposed of. Often a good place to go to cannibalize working parts to keep other equipment working

buck - Act of cutting logs to length

calks - Tapered nails fastened to shoe bottoms, normally screw threaded - later called "corks".

comealong - A wire rope connection temporarily attached to the main line or haulback.

deflection (for those in the Pacific NW) - The amount of 'sag' in the cable from point 'a' to point 'b' in a skyline operation. If you try to pull half a mile of heavy cable up 'straight' like a guitar string, it will likely break of its own weight before all the sag comes out. But with some sag in the line you have the capacity to lift and move logs. You don't know how many DanG mountains I climbed to find deflection points :D :D

haulback - Return line to bring chokers back to the setters.

jillpole - Any pole or member used to jam against something to hold it in place - also a sort of shear to unload logs.

peeler (not from the pubs guys ;D ) - Large logs suitable for rotary cutting against an 8-foot blade - a log grade suitable for producing veneers.

spar tree - Tree large and tall enough to be used for yarding logs - sometimes raised in place by a block system.

sweep - Degree of curve in a log - also used in timbers.

tote road - A preliminary road on one designed only for hauling machinery and supplies. There are several of these old roads I've come across in BC and they are actually protected from logging near by, and designated at 'heritage trails'. I remember one up along the upper Skeena Valley above Kispiox Village. I've also seen some old ones here in NB from back in the 30's, but they are disappearing and not protected. Some even became highways (or partially). ;D

widow maker - Any dangerous tree that could do in a faller - usually a loose limb or a leaning tree.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Robert R

#^%$@@#(*--A log to big for the horses to pull.

Alpo em--When all the logs are to big for the horses to pull.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Woodhog

Diminishing Returns... anything to do with logging/trucking

SwampDonkey

Yup, the price of pulpwood and softwood sawlogs now is less than it was 15 years ago.  :P

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

From Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin

Popple - Trees you cut for pulp. Foresters call them Aspen.

DOT - #%@@&&&@     (Department of Transportation- truck inspections)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

solodan

Bunting is called  Limbing.

a Blowdown would be a Windfall

Calks would be called Corks

a pile of logs is a Deck

Cull is the unwanted stuff in the load.

Swamp Donkey covered the widow maker already.

Steam Donkey is an old steam powered capstan or the local bar.

Snag would be a standing dead tree.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 11, 2005, 06:42:53 PM
boneyard (everyone's favorite ;D) - Yard where old and wornout equipment is stored until disposed of. Often a good place to go to cannibalize working parts to keep other equipment working
though I've yet to see it get disposed of.

a King tree or Wolf tree would be called a Hammer but but over 60''

a Single Log Load would be a full load with only one log.

and that's all I can think of right now.

nyforester

Gutter - skid trail that turned into a stream from the lack of best management practices (soil erosion control)

Hoak - A big oak veneer tree

Pecker pole - small tree

messed up - If you are in the wood business you know what that is.

Deadwood

Here is one I forgot, but this might be a New England term of a bygone era.

Scoot:    A sort of trailer, but instead of wheels it used wooden runners  and bunks to move logs out of the woods. They could only be used when their was snow on frozen ground, but it was surprising how many logs could be hauled this way.

Weekend_Sawyer

Jeff has a Scoot beside his house. Looks like a beefy sled.
I have been privledged to see it ;D

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Some scoots here have been known to be made from automobile hoods. ;D

Frank_Pender

skinner or cat skinner = dozer operator skidding out logs or road builder

trading stock = not sure if I can define this one here, but it is pitchy heart wood form old growth Douglas Fir

timber tramp = 

whistle punk =

pike pole =

misery whip =

drag saw =   not a guy saw in a femme outfit

McClean Boom =

Guy line=

Tyler System =

Hay wire =

Tree shoe =

Butt rigging =

Round Acres =

Yellow Fir =

Highlead =

Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Deadwood on November 16, 2005, 06:21:04 AM
Scoot:    A sort of trailer, but instead of wheels it used wooden runners  and bunks to move logs out of the woods. They could only be used when their was snow on frozen ground, but it was surprising how many logs could be hauled this way.

Sounds like a regular log sled. We had one here when dad had a horse about 30 years ago, gave it to my uncle and he's probably gave it away or hauled it back into the woods to rot. Anything he has no further use for, he disposes of by giving it away if he can. Funny about that though, no one gives anything in his direction.  ::)

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Deadwood on November 16, 2005, 06:21:04 AM

Is that with one pair of runners (a dray) or 2 pair of runners (a sled or sleigh)?  You might be surprised how much can be hauled on grass or forest duff.  Just one trip per trail or you will wear through the grass and be sledding in the dirt.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

pappy

and one of the most dangerous  :o

spring pole = when a big tree pulls down saplings or smaller trees
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

jon12345

dog hair - thick patch of balsam

flyibarber chair - when the tree splits up from the stump, leaving a chair

bole - trunk

chainsaw - used to cut trees

skidder - used to drag trees out of woods

:D :D

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

flycamp - a camp in the bush where all your gear is either slung in by chopper or float plane. Often used by timber cruisers or tree planters in remote areas of the Pacific Northwest.

I was on one in the Charlottes for 2 weeks. Things to remember, burry/burn all scrap food in a pit and keep a 12 guage handy with the camp watchmen. BEARS! ;D

Thank You Sponsors!