The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Worst hunt ever.  (Read 7056 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: Worst hunt ever.
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 04:50:12 PM »
My grandparents thought it was cute to take pictures of their 4 year old grandson holding a 20 guage double and a partridge (ruff grouse in another). I started hunting grouse with a .22 and then bought a 20 guage double of my own to hunt with. Never needed no 12 guage, where we used to hunt the grouse were so stupid you could club'n. You'd flush'm up into the yellow birches or poplars and they'd sit like chickens, just shot from the bottom most grouse and work your way up. :D :D In close to the settlement they was wild and cagey as a fox. You might get a crack at 1 in 6. I never see flocks bigger than 4 now, we used to run across flocks of 10 or 12 birds. One time we hit onto a flock of 24, but what we realized is the feed was good in the area and their was 2 or 3 families of them flocked together. You get in a good seed year with lots of birch catkins and poplar flower buds, like shown in the 'Tree ID' sticky thread, and your in grouse heaven. Late in the season and into the winter they eat those buds because they are high in protein from the pollen in them.  :)
Move'n on.

Offline Rockn H

• long way to go
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2005, 11:43:57 PM »
I usually use a 30/30, but this year I'm taking my Ruger 44mag instead.  I haven't taken a deer with it yet.  Maybe this will be the year.

Arky, did you say once that your camp was around Lacy?

Offline gary

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2005, 03:18:51 AM »
I took a walk where I hunt deer today. Five years ago I would have seen at least 30 deer there. Today I was lucky to find a track and didn't see any deer. This will be my last year hunting deer in this spot.

Offline Mtnjack

• Bear Hunter
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 04:35:02 PM »
Gary its not just your area after 3 days of bear hunting i saw more bear traciks than deer forest county pa. Here in beaver county its not much better.  Mtn Jack

Offline gary

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 05:07:09 PM »
I went deer hunting monday and saw no deer. I went out tuesday morning and all I got was wet. I went back out tuesday afternoon after it stopped raining. I got to the spot I wanted to sit in and wasn't there five minutes and a button buck came running by. I shot it and it fell in a flooded creek.  This creek was roaring I couldn't keep up with the deer even by running. The creek goes into a lake about a half mile from where I shot it so I walked down the creek hoping to see the deer hung up on something or washed up on the bank. Well I got to the lake and had not seen the deer anywhere. Started walking back up the creek and had gone about half way back to where I started and I saw the deer floating toward me. Of course it would not come close to the side of the creek I was on so back to the lake. I ended up wading into the creek which was about four feet deep and thirty feet wide. But I got the deer.

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 05:57:48 PM »

Gary some times a man just has to stay with it.   Always hate to hear about one being lost.

Rockn H, Deer camp is just south of Monticello but I was hunting here below the house on the Buffalo River.   It was to warm for me down there opening day so I stayed up here.  It is getting cool enough now for the sketters to lay low.
ARKANSAWYER

Offline gary

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2005, 09:35:34 AM »
After what started out to be a terrible deer season. It turned into a pretty good one. I managed to get 3 does and a 6 point. The total for the six of of who hunt together was 10 deer, 3 bucks and 7 does.

Offline lucky_cutter

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 12:38:01 AM »
My worst hunt ever was the time I got the deer(3PT) (3x3 for the Easterners) back to camp and the first question I hear is, "Did you wipe the milk foam off his mouth before or after you shot him?  I started out hunting with a Rem BDL .270.  Never had to track a shot deer with that rifle. I also use a SA-58 .308 and a SAR3 .223. just to shake things up. It is nice hunting out west where you have more options to shoot with.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
For better or worst........

Started by Mr Mom on General Board

13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2006, 06:18:01 PM
by maple flats
xx
Best and Worst

Started by Dean Hylton on Chainsaws

21 Replies
Last post February 04, 2005, 11:31:09 PM
by jtmccallum