iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulley and belt calculations?

Started by farmsc, November 14, 2005, 05:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmsc

Evening, guys.  I've not posted for a while, been working on setting up the old Sergeant Log beam saw.  Got everything bolted up and belted, just need to find the right size pulley for the mill itself.  I used to have the formula, but can't seem to find it.  I have a 10" drive pulley turning 1019rpm's.  I've been told I need to turn this 42" blade between 450 and 500 rpm's.  Any ideas on the mill pulley size to get this speed?  Thanks for any info, and I'll post a pic or to in a couple days when we finally get to cut something with it.  Kevin

mitch

Hi farmsc:

I spent some of my best days near Seneca.... at Clemson in the mid 1960's.

D = 10 x 1019/500 = 20.4 " or about 20 inch for the mandrel pulley.

See this link

http://shagbarkfarms.com/LmbCalc/V-Belts_F.html

mitch

VA-Sawyer

Farmsc,
Mitch has the correct formula except I would divide by 475 instead of 500. You said you wanted it to run between 450 and 500 rpms. Using a 20" pulley will result in a speed slightly over 500 rpm.
D= 10 x 1019/475 =21.4 "
A 21" pulley will give you about 485 RPMs
A 22" pulley would give  about 463 RPMs
VA-Sawyer

farmsc

Thanks, guys.  I knew this was the right place to ask!  The pulley I have found is 21" so I got lucky.  Kevin

mitch

Are you using flat belts or vee belts to drive the mill?

farmsc

Flat belt, 6" wide from an H farmall.  This is a very old(turn of the last century) mill that will not be running production, just for fun.  Kevin

dail_h

Make sure the radiator is in good shape on your H,it's likely to look like old faithful
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

farmsc

Oh yeah, I've been there plowing with her.  She got a brand new coolerator this spring before the sorghum cane went in.  I ended up bending and welding 1/8" metal plate around my v-belt pulley that came with the mill.  Hooked up the H for the first time last night and she really sang!!  Hope to put the first log through it this weekend after the last few adjustments are made!!

D._Frederick

Farmsc,

You will find that the Farmall H's 26 hp will not run a sawmill very well, (unless you are sawing tooth picks.)

We tried our Farmall M for sawing, it was slow going, it would take a couple minutes to make a 20 ft cut.

We bought a Case LAE industrial engine, about 70hp with the high compression pistons, worked much better.

mitch

Concerning low power for an old circular sawmill ...... check this 1923 add for an American #2 sawmill.

Tremel

Steam HP is different than petro HP.  A 10HP Steamer is equivilant to a 35HP Petro engine.   There are some mathmatics behind all of this, but I don't have them in front of me at this time.

We run an 18HP steamer on a Frick OO mill at our club and when we can't run steam, we use an old 80HP 6 cylinder diesel engine.  That steamer can out cut the diesel any day.

My JD 720 (60HP) takes all she got to run a 54" blade on 20" hardwood logs.

The mill I'm setting up now has a White 6 cylinder gas engine (around 100HP).  I run the mill at 450 RPM's (Due to babitt bearings).  I may change out the bearings and repound the blade to run at 600+ RPM's.  We'll see...
Bill Tremel
Claysville, PA
Collector of Antique engines, Trucks, tractors and hobby farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!