Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money! sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Council Tool

Baker Products

Author Topic: Swamp Donkey season is fast approaching  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Bro. Noble

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
Re: Swamp Donkey season is fast approaching
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2002, 06:56:29 PM »
When I was in my 20's and worked in town, I was fishing or hunting every evening and all weekends. After moving to the farm I did for a little while.  We have two streams and good deer and turkey hunting.  After a while I got to where after a 14 or 16 hour day I'd rather go to the house, turn the thermostat to 75, turn on some music and hit the recliner.

I would quail hunt but we no longer have enough quail.  About the only way I could get interested in moose hunting would be by canoe.

I do try to canoe here at home once a year-----either when there is a fresh snow on the ground or in the spring when the dogwood is blooming.  In either case the water is crystal clear and I have the creek to myself.

I still stop to watch wild critters while cutting logs, haying, or moving cattle.  This evening I spent 30 minutes watching a hog-nose snake try to convince my pup that he was a cobra.  They finally got bored with one another and went their separate ways and I went to milk.  

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2002, 06:07:05 AM »
I hunted a lot when I was a kid.  Fished a little too.  Now about the only time I get to hunt is during the regular rifle deer season.  I generally use one of my single-shot 45/70s.  I've even killed one button buck with a model 68 Trapdoor Springfield in 50/70. Even got one once with a Tompson Contender in 35 Remington.

In modern rifles,  I use Marlin 1895 in 45/70 or a sporterized 03 Springfield in 30-06.  

This is my son Chris' first deer.  You may like to read the story of how he got it follow the link below. This story and a couple of others are out on my web site.

Bibbyman's hunting stories

To get to the home page of the Bibbyman web site,  just click on the little house to the left.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Online WV_hillbilly

• Work can be shocking at times . Bellaire , OH
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2002, 06:32:01 PM »

On a more serious note an urban hunt occurs within the city limits with a bow only no firearms allowed. They have these cause the subdivisions keep building further into the farm areas and the deer eat all of their expensive landscaping and damage their expensive cars when they stand in the road.So someone complains to many deer and something must be done to curb their nasty habits. The way I look at it the city folk are tresspassing on the deer's home territory not the other way around. People have even done feasability studies on using birth control shots to controll the herds. But this will not happen cause of the cost  .they think the DNR should pay the bill.As usual they have enough cash to build a big house next to the woods but want someone else to pay to clean up a mess they started.

Thats a fine looking buck your son got.  Kudos and keep up the good work.If more kids hunted and fished they wouldn't have time to get into so much trouble .

That was my dream of having a wife that hunted with me but reality set in and I decided that I liked having my time away also. So I go hunting and she goes Christmas shopping. It works out great for both of us we both get to do something we dearly enjoy.

Around here if you get a deer that weighs over 150 lbs. its a big one. most of them barely make it over 100 lbs.

Offline DonT

• Lifes rough wear a helmet
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2002, 08:01:03 AM »
Greetings all,I just returned from my field trip to Northern Ontario.No moose for me this year.Saw lots of moose but did not have an adult tag,so ended up doing my shooting with my camera.Grouse hunting was good andDad and I brought home 21.The area that we go to is bigtime logging country.One new cut we travelled was 35 km's long and about 4km's wide.I always marvel at the size of the equipment used in this area,and how much they can do in a short time.Got to watch the harvesters in action as well.    Don

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2002, 09:59:23 AM »
Did you get any photos of the Logging Equipment to post on the Forum Thread for that subject?

Offline DonT

• Lifes rough wear a helmet
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2002, 08:59:31 PM »
Sorry Ron, no photo's.About seven years ago I shot my first moose,took all the appropriate photos,field dressed the moose,loaded it in the truck and then proceeded to drive off with the camera on the back bumper of the truck,I replaced my wifes camera but for some reason she always buys me one of those disposable units to take on my excursions afield.I have tried to take distance pictures with these in the past with poor results.Understandably  Kimberly-Clark posts there work areas so that there workers are not in any danger during the hunting season.I do have pictures of some of the spruce cuts.I do not how ever posses the technology to post them(yet)  Don

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Hey Swamp Donkey

Started by Fraxinus on General Board

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2005, 11:27:52 PM
by asy
Approaching Foresters

Started by PAFaller on Ask The Forester

32 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 09:54:18 PM
by faster1
What kind of sawmill should I be approaching?

Started by elitts on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post January 14, 2017, 05:49:00 PM
by 4x4American
Duck season rabit season birthing season?

Started by Sawyerfortyish on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2002, 10:39:26 AM
by Sawyerfortyish