The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Fuel/Oil mixture on larger Huskys  (Read 4820 times)

Offline twistedtree

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Fuel/Oil mixture on larger Huskys
« on: November 26, 2005, 07:27:06 PM »
The Husky manual for the 385 says to use 1:32 fuel/oil for saws over 80cc (1:50 for saws less than 80cc).

Do any of you actually do this?  Do you carry two fuel cans for your small and large saws?

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Fuel/Oil mixture on larger Huskys
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 08:34:47 PM »
 I run 50:1 in everything built after 1970 of which there are only two, the 045AV Super and the Husky 345, my daily driver. ;D The old un's get fired for fun and occasionally annoy the neighbours on 32:1
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline twistedtree

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:09:40 PM »
It's amazing to me to see the difference in responses to this question between here and the ArboristSite.com board (I posted the same question on both boards).

Over there, it triggered a raging debate over things that nobody can substantiate, and assertions by people who clearly have no idea what they are taking about.

I like hanging out here much better - people don't pretent to know something when they are really clueless.

Thanks for the great site.

Offline Rocky_J

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:20:15 PM »
The moderators tend to discourage insulting posts here. This tends to cut down on the posturing and pontificating.
 8)

Offline bwalker

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 11:18:56 PM »
Over there, it triggered a raging debate over things that nobody can substantiate, and assertions by people who clearly have no idea what they are taking about.
Alot of people on the interent have no idea what they are talking about. This sight is no differant.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 11:35:53 PM »
Alot of people on the interent have no idea what they are talking about. This sight is no differant.

And where do you fit in ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Coon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 11:40:56 PM »

Though I am not a moderator of this site I do not feel that this comment was at all called for.  The people on this site are all friends and admit to what they do or do not know.  If we on this site did not have any professionalism to go along with our knowledge then why do we have so many high end sponsors.  Frankly I think that your comment has insulted me. >:(
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 11:45:11 PM »
Though I am not a moderator of this site I do not feel that this comment was at all called for.  The people on this site are all friends and admit to what they do or do not know.  If we on this site did not have any professionalism to go along with our knowledge then why do we have so many high end sponsors.  Frankly I think that your comment has insulted me. >:(

Well said 8)  Thank you :)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 11:49:44 PM »
Hopefully, he meant to say "this site is different" and just mis-spoke. Maybe he'll come back and let us know more about what he really meant.   I hope.  :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 11:53:59 PM »
Hopefully, he meant to say "this site is different" and just mis-spoke. Maybe he'll come back and let us know more about what he really meant. I hope. :)

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other :)

Offline jokers

• Senior Member x2
  • Chainsaw Freak
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 08:30:15 AM »
And where do you fit in ???

Bwalker knows oils and fuels. He has a formal education in the field as well as practical work and racing experience.

Russ

Offline jokers

• Senior Member x2
  • Chainsaw Freak
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 09:07:16 AM »
Though I am not a moderator of this site I do not feel that this comment was at all called for.  The people on this site are all friends and admit to what they do or do not know.  If we on this site did not have any professionalism to go along with our knowledge then why do we have so many high end sponsors.  Frankly I think that your comment has insulted me. >:(

bwalker did not by any stretch of the imagination say that all, or even many of the posters on this site know nothing. If I can take the liberty of paraphrasing him, he was essentially saying that a person must know the credibility of any person posting to know what value to place on their written opinion expressed on any forum, and often you will find that people argue simply for no reason other than they want to argue whether they know anything or they don`t.

Now if you guys are so saintly that you can honestly say that you never encounter anyone on the forum that you would like to lambast or that you don`t form opinions about who is credible and who isn`t, or who you simply don`t like, then you are better men than I am. Given that you Coon, took such quick offense to bwalker`s apparently ambiguous statement, and that you Corley5 also seem to take offense to bwalker based on this one statement, I`m figuring that you`re no more saintly than I am. ;)

And before you all go off on me, remember that I have 500 posts here so I must both know something and also be your friend, so be restrained and civil. :D

There could be several reasons why this site has several well known sponsors but I`m betting that the first and most important reason is that the members of this site display a propensity for spending money on the products that these sponsors manufacture or sell. I`m sure that it`s important to the sponsors that the average member here not tarnish their reputation in any way but I highly doubt that there is any significant benevolence, as in supporting the operation of this forum, simply because the sponsors like the posters.

BTW, I kicked in $10 for the support of this forum because I like it. Ten bucks seems to be the standard offering at a couple of other forums that I visit so I thought it appropriate here, perhaps Jeff will provide some feedback.

Are you guys kicking in any funds or is your input your sole contribution to the playground fund?

Russ

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 09:47:14 AM »
 :D :D ;D ;D :)

Offline bwalker

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 12:57:57 PM »
I guesss i have a way with words. :D
The gist of what I was trying to say is that very few people are educated  with regards to two cycle lubrication. As a result all kinds of old wives tails and BS get passed of as fact.
If any of you guys would like to shoot some questions at me I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

BTW dont be so quick to jam pile the new guy. 8)

Offline Coon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 01:20:07 PM »
I was very doubtful at the way in which you used the context.  You had spoken those words in a rather offensive manner to which I found that you were saying that we as FF members do not know anything.  EDUCATED OR NOT  this site is all about learning how to better ourselves at the things we love to do.  People are often very opionative which can lead us in the wrong.  I for one do know what I am talking about when it comes to oils/lubrications for the sole fact that I have travelled around with my step brother testing oils/lubricants for a well known Co. in which he works for.  TESTS HAVE PROVEN MANY FACTS that people still find hard to believe true.

Now lets not argue on this site for we all still have many things to learn.  Opinions have their time and place but also need to be limited.  Also please at the time of your comments state how much knowledge on the topic that you may have whether it be that you are in a proffesion that regards the topic or just that you have knowledge from personal experiences. :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 01:43:04 PM »
That's why the Smileys are great tools.  Things can and are at times ;) read differently than we meant.   ;D  :)

Offline bwalker

• Share Post
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 06:19:05 PM »
I find it opdd that Husky would reccomend 32:1 for the bigger saws and 50:1 for the smaller saws. Typicaly in most two cycles its the smaller the bore the more oil reccomended.
 At any rate I would run 32:1 in all saws.

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 07:19:10 PM »
B, he said:

The Husky manual for the 385 says to use 1:32 fuel/oil for saws over 80cc (1:50 for saws less than 80cc).

But I have lived buy the rule of thumb..more oil for the smaller ones....I used to also
temper that old wives tail....but one I live buy...by RPM's. More RPM's more oil. Its been 32:1 for
all my two strokes for quite a while now. Motorcycles and Chainsaws inclusive. Don't want anymore than one can mixed around. Never know whats the priority for the weekend, Milling, Riding, Horses, Trail Maintenance, Firewood..never ends.

I hve to wonder if Husky is worried about a cooling issue? Or maybe that was simply a miss interp of the manual.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline bwalker

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 09:08:12 PM »
I hve to wonder if Husky is worried about a cooling issue? Or maybe that was simply a miss interp of the manual.
I have to wonder if its not to help with the slew of big end rod bearing and crank bearing failures the 385's are having.
 If I where milling  I would run 20:1. Milling is murder on a saw.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 09:49:46 PM »
Actually Russ, there are several of our sponsors that are here because of how this forum is ran, how the members conduct them selves and because they want to be associated with a POSITIVE and sometimes powerful force that such a group of people provide.   I get thanked time and time again for providing such a place by these sponsors. I have had several of them grab my hand at a show and tell me that very thing. Guess what? I have NEVER had one tell me that they thought we were responsible for giving them a boost in business or selling another mill.

Sometimes, good companies look at things without seeing directly into the pockets of potential customers. Sure, its ultimately about making a profit, but sometimes a company will have the for-sight to see that when something is good for the industry as a whole, it certainly is good for them as a part. Thats where many of our sponsors fit in. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
fuel mixture

Started by woodsdog2015 on Chainsaws

62 Replies
Last post December 24, 2015, 12:45:06 PM
by HolmenTree
xx
Fuel mixture for older sawsf.

Started by DaveP on Chainsaws

15 Replies
Last post November 18, 2019, 04:33:07 PM
by gspren