iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should I buy a husky 372? How do features compared to 346XP?

Started by Max sawdust, December 03, 2005, 08:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

OK,
I am convinced I need a 372 as my big saw.  I had an old old husky 55 with the trigger you had to squeeze to set the choke and the stop switch you had to move your hand to activate.

I bought a 346XP and love it, especially the stop switch/choke control the side chain tensioner and the overall "smoothness" and ergonomics.  The 346XP made my old 55 feel like another brand of saw ::)

SO my questions are:
Does the 372 have a side chain tensioner?
Does the 372 have the stop choke control like the 346XP or the old style like the husky 55?
Does it have snap on covers and easy to clean air filter?
Any other insite would be helpfull too :)

I do small scale logging and looking for a larger proffessional saw for felling work.  (Just can not beat the 346XP on brushing and limbing)

Thanks Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

sawguy21

It has the snap on cover but not the other nice features of the newer saws. It is a very good saw though but is being discontinued in favor of the 575 which none of us like so grab one while you can.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishhuntcutwood

Yeah, if you're even thinking about buying a 372, go ahead and do it before they're gone.  The features you mention are worth overlooking in favor of the saw's performance.  JMO.

Jeff 
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

dansaylor

if u like those features then stihl would be what ya need as a bigger saw but as everyone else says the 372 is a good saw.

Max sawdust

Thanks Guys,
Bummer the 372 does not have some of the new features.  Not sure what I will do know.

Sorry, I am just used to husky saws, I may consider stihl on the bigger saw.  A buddy has a couple I can test drive.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

jokers

Max,

What "new features" are you looking for?

The 372 does have a side chain tensioner, snap off air filter cover and an easily removed for cleaning air filter that is as easy as any to clean that stays clean longer than the average Stihl`s, and excellent anti-vibe balance and overall ergonomics.

About the only thing the 372 doesn`t have that you may be looking for is the combined on/off swicth and choke lever however the choke lever does combine with the hi idle function, simply pull the lever out and the saw is set for hi idle, push the lever back in if you don`t want choke or leave it out if you do.

Russ

Rocky_J

Seems most of the leftover 372's are just about all gone, so all this may be academic anyways. All the bigger retailers have sold out of the 372's in the last month. Luckily I have two already, should last me several years.
8)

All reports on the new 575 indicate that Husky laid a giant egg. I'd avoid it. A better option is to find a Jonsered dealer and get a 2171- it's a Husky 372 in a red and black dress.

jokers

I`d say the jury is still out on the 575 with the exception of it`s weight. The 575 will cut right with the 372, it`s smoother, and it`s more fuel efficient, so it`s not a complete POS.

A 2171 is a good alternative with the exception of that darn straight across the top handlebar. I don`t know what I like the least, the weight of the 575 or the Jonsered handlebar, but I`m sure that the bar is a non-issue to many guys.

I would also bet that the current 2171s have a rev limited coil just like the latest 372s and the 575 and this further levels the playing field in favor of the 575 IMO. I`ve found that stock 371/372s like to run best at 13.8k and are choked down at anything less.

Just my two cents.

Good to see you around Rocky, you have alot of good information.

Russ

Rocky_J

Quote from: jokers on December 04, 2005, 09:15:56 AM
Good to see you around Rocky, you have alot of good information.

Russ
Not really much official schooling, just the byproduct of working on trees for the last 20 years and a distinct form of laziness that drives me to perform my duties in the most efficient manner possible. I truly dislike wasted and inefficient effort.  :)

jokers

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 04, 2005, 09:37:53 AM
Not really much official schooling, just the byproduct of working on trees for the last 20 years and a distinct form of laziness that drives me to perform my duties in the most efficient manner possible. I truly dislike wasted and inefficient effort.  :)

Call it what you will Brian but I`ve seen you post thoughts and information that are not simply the work of a lazy or even efficient mind.

Russ

solodan

the 372 is a great saw. I have a 268 and personally think this was the best mid-size saw husky made. I use it more than any other saw because it is mid sized, but also because I love it. if I had to replace it I would buy a 372 or a Dolmar 7900. Dolmar 7900= more saw,less weight.

SawTroll

Max, I also like the combination swich on the 346  :) and the other small Huskys - very convenient!.
I have seen reports of failiures (breakage) though, but it don't seem like a common occurence.

I also think the system on the 372/2171 is about as close as you can get on a 70 cc saw. The Stihl combo swich is a PITA by comparison.
It is the only feature that I don't like on my 361 but I can't complain too much because I knew about it when I bought it.......

Jokers has a valid point about the 90 degree front handlebar on the Jred saws. I would not buy it unless I had tried it and felt comfortable about it.
Their, imo pretty lame, excuse for it is that you can use it as "gunning sight" when felling. ::)
Information collector.

Max sawdust

Jokers I was refering to the combo switch Saw troll mentioned.  I do a lot of full log log length skidding with my Farmi Winch, I buck 8 feet of shut down the saw pull the log in and buck 8 feet off and so on.  So starting the saw and sutting down the saw are frequent actions for me, and I really like the combined switch on the 346xp.

I see the 372 as my felling saw so I guess it does not matter so much.  Then again not sure how carrying two saw in the woods will be either.

Thanks for all the insite
Max
True Timbers

SawTroll

Max, if your saw is sitting shut off only a short time before it is restarted, the design of the choke/fast idle lever may be of remote interest, as a well tuned saw should restart without using it - just use the on/off swich. 8)
Information collector.

Hobnob2

Jokers,

You run your 372 at 13.8????   Got mine at 12.8.  Dare I wind it higher?   How many tanks of fuel did you put through it before you cranked it up above factory rpm?

Thanks,
H
Grow the best wood on the best trees, as fast as possible.

jokers

Quote from: Hobnob2 on December 06, 2005, 09:02:43 PM
Jokers,

You run your 372 at 13.8????   Got mine at 12.8.  Dare I wind it higher?   How many tanks of fuel did you put through it before you cranked it up above factory rpm?

Thanks,
H

Absolutely, but where you set the saw is specific to what size wood you are cutting and what size bar. I normally run a 16" or 20" bar in hardwood at 13,750 to 13.8rpm for a stock saw. With a 32" bar in hardwood I would run about 13,200. Once modified they turn substantially higher at peak power.

Russ

rahtreelimbs

Owning 2 EHP 372's I will say that these saws cut with a lot of authority! A barely used 372 popped up on the used forum of another website! Do I need the saw? NO? But with the limited availability of the 372..........Oh well.........you know!!!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Pete J

Quote from: jokers on December 04, 2005, 11:39:11 AM
Call it what you will Brian but I`ve seen you post thoughts and information that are not simply the work of a lazy or even efficient mind.

Russ

I was gonna reply with a similar comment. Rocky sure has the lazy, efficient mind working overtime! BTW Kevin has both the 346 and the 372. I bought the 365 special to round out the mix. It was interesting to choose between 3 different saws when we were running the mill or making firewood.

Michael

Jokers, can you fit the handlebar from a 372 onto the 2171? I have several full wrap 372's and can supply.  Mike
If you need saws or parts I may be able to help.

dozerdan

Mike
To answer your question about installing the 372 handle on the 2171, I would have to answer yes and no. No it is not a direct bolt on. The 372 and the 2171 are the same basic saws but they do have a few differences, one being the top handle and the way they bolt to the fuel tank. You can install the top handle on the 2171 if you use a 372 fuel tank. The tank is a direct bolt on and then the 372 handle is a direct bolt on. The only drawback in one ugly looking saw.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: dozerdan on December 16, 2005, 12:40:19 AM
The only drawback in one ugly looking saw.

Ihave never bought a saw based on its looks.  Is that a common practice?  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Chris J

No Jonsered owner in their right mind wants ugly Husqvarna orange  :o on their sexy red and black saw!

:D...Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Max sawdust

Thanks for all the good input.  Lots of things to consider.  Guess I will have to get my hands on a 575XP and see how it feels, If I do not like it I will consider a used 372 or a red and black saw. ;D
max
True Timbers

Thank You Sponsors!