iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup... Tried for the first time...

Started by asy, December 15, 2005, 04:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyboy

;D ;D ;D ASY, Thats great eatin, My buddy Pete who was looking over my shoulder a min ago said the only thing he would have liked is a can of Hormel Chili poured over it. His wife left him so he eats kind of simple like! :D :D :D
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

sawguy21

Quote from: asy on December 17, 2005, 06:34:23 PM
OK!

For those who might be interested...

Here's the full account of dinner.

I cooked fragrant rice, and made a bed of the rice on the plate (but not too much coz andy doesn't like rice)...

Then I made veggies thus:

THinly sliced sweet potato, chopped onion, corn kernels, leek and zucchini chopped up, fried in a little olive oil and maple syrup...   The syrup caramelises onto the veggies, gosh it's good...

Anyway, so, I loaded the veggies onto the bed of rice, then ladelled the chicken and cream mix (mentioned previously) over the top.

The chicken was so soft after cooking for 2 hours on a slow heat, it was all fally aparty...

And, there was dinner.

Weren't any complaints, either.

asy :D

They would know better than to complain about that. DanG, it sounds good
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don_Papenburg

Old JD I, I own four of em , Two are running and two are projects I sent you an email with a pic.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

asy

Did someone say Pics???  :D

Hey Flyboy, you tell your mate Pete that if he's ever in my neck of the woods, he's welcome to drop in for dinner...

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

OLD_ JD

thank's Don ;)...Diamond T and REO was some real truck at that time ;)
canadien forest ranger

Corley5

Mom and Grandma have made pecan pie using maple syrup.  Now that's good 8) 8) 8)  HMMMM Might have to make a suggestion...... ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Flyboy

;D ;D I got to thro this one in too.
Take your acorn squash, cut it in half , dig out the seeds, fill it up the hole with Syruple and stick it in your oven, bake untill done..... Oh Baby ;D

ASY, If I send him your way you might not get rid of him :D But he's got his own evaporator and he loves to sugar. You got any maples?
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

asy

OK...

The Maple Syrup made it's way to Brekkie this morning...

I made my famous Crumpeggs.

Take a round Crumpet, cut a hole out of the middle using a tiny round tupperware bowl (the kind  given away at tupperware partiesm just a little over 1" diameter) .

Heat up a little oil or butter in the fry pan, then put the crumpets (2 per person) into the oil face down. ALso put the middles into the oil beside the main crumpets.

When the face is golden toasted, turn the crumpets over.

Make sure there's a little oil/butter in the middle of the crumpet, and break an egg carefully into the hole. Try not to break the yolk.

Fry on this side until the white goes cloudy. Turn it over. Ya gotta do this fast, otherwise the yolk falls out. It takes a few to get good at it :D

Let this side fry until you think the white's fully cooked.

Turn them out onto a plate face side up.

Pour Maple syrup over the crumpet and middles, it'll soak into the holes...

Serve with a BIG dollop of Jam, and a nice cup of tea.

The yolk should still be runny, and it all just goes perfectly.

Don_Papenburg

That all sounded good ,ASY ,till you said runny yoke . Make mine hard or scrambled.
Old JD Post the pic of my truck if you can . T
hat thing can hual a lot of maple syrup and has hauled raw matrial to make grits.  So it would be ok for this thread.

OLD_ JD

Don i am still waiting for the pic :-[....are the send ???..thank's in advence :)
canadien forest ranger

isawlogs

Asy

Here is another thing you can try with the maple syrup . Bake some doughnuts ... As you would any doughnuts . while all this is going on , heat some maple syrop enough of it to be able to put fresh hot doughnuts in ...
  Cook the doughnuts let them sit to let them how would you say .. oil free , while they are still hot dip throw put them  in the syrup , take um out and put on a peice of wax paper to cool off .
  See how long they last .   :D :D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Don_Papenburg

Old JD   I sent the pic two days ago  .  I did not get an error report so they are out there in cyber space  some place.  I used the email  addy from the forum.   Do you have a differant address?

sawguy21

Quote from: isawlogs on December 19, 2005, 08:30:36 PM
Asy

Here is another thing you can try with the maple syrup . Bake some doughnuts ... As you would any doughnuts . while all this is going on , heat some maple syrop enough of it to be able to put fresh hot doughnuts in ...
  Cook the doughnuts let them sit to let them how would you say .. oil free , while they are still hot dip throw put them  in the syrup , take um out and put on a peice of wax paper to cool off .
  See how long they last .   :D :D :D :D
They would have a very short lifespan around here ;D

asy

Yummm...

I am just about to cook dinner. I am making mince.

I usually use brown sugar in the mince, just a little mind, but today, it's syrup!!!  I'll fry lots of onion and garlic, then throw the superlean beef mince in, brown it off, and then throw in zucchini, peas, corn and carrot. Also some rice left over from the other day. Added to that some Ketjap Manis (sweet soy sauce) and pepper, paprika, herbs and MAPLE SYRUP.

At least that's my plan. I think they'll like it.

sawguy21

OLD_ JD

alright Don now i get it ;D...i will post them soon ;)
canadien forest ranger

Flyboy

8) 8) :D  Now that all us "Old Maids" have swaped recipes.
Can any of Ya'll tell me the difference between a Vermont Sugar Maker and a Canadian one? smiley_whacko smiley_whacko
Flyboy

leweee

One is in Vermont  & one is in Kanadr :P I was just guessen now smiley_roller

The size & shape of the evaporator tray ???
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

etat

Asy, I had to do a search to even find out what a crumpet was cause i didn't have a clue. 

Same thing for a mince, while I had heard of it, I didn't know what it was either.  When I first read it I 'thought' you said mice but I PROMISE I took a real good closer look!   :)

Oh, and I DO like my eggs with a runny yoke though!   8)

(went today and ordered a new pair of glasses)   :D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

asy

I assure you, we haven't had any fried MICE for a while now, they are a real delicacy and hard to get...  ;)

MINCE meat is what you call GRound beef...  (I believe).

hehe

SwampDonkey

Up here it was ground venison (deer or moose):

Here's an uncooked mincemeat

1 lb ground meat
2 lbs raisins
3 lbs apples
2 lbs brown sugar
juice and rind of 2 oranges
juice and rind of 1 lemon
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
2 tsp nutmeg

Mix all togther. This will keep in refridgerator for months. When making pies a little strawberry jam or orange marmalade may be added. 1 cup of cut peel may be added to the recipe if liked. Cook your pie a little longer because the meat is raw.

My mom used to always make a cook mincemeat and can it for pies. You can buy mince meat in the store here but it's nowhere near as good as home made. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

OK...  I'll SEE your mince meat recipe and RAISE You a polish traditional KOTLET (meatloaf) recipe!

1kg Mince Beef
1kg Mince Pork
1kg Mince Chicken
3 LARGE onions, chopped finely
.5kg GRated tasty cheese
7 slices dry white bread (leave it in a paper bag for a week or so in a dry place to dry out, make sure it doesn't mould)
4 eggs
salt, pepper, garlic

Mix the meats together.
Fry the onion till transparent, then let it cool (MUST let it cool or it will cook the egg!) add to the meat.
Mix the eggs and cheese into the meat and onion
Take the bread, and slice the crust off it, break it into small pieces and cover with water. Squoosh it in your hands till the bread is all soft, then squeeze the excess water out of it and throw it into the meat mix. Then add 1cup of the water. (Don't throw it all in together, otherwise you can't regulate the water quantity.)
Add about 2tsp salt and garlic, and 1tsp freshly ground black pepper (these can be left out or added to taste).

Mix all these together by hand.

When they are fully mixed, make patty's out of them. The patty's should be about 4" round and 3/4" thick. DO NOT make scrawny thin patty's otherwise they'll burn and be tough and yucky.

coat them in Breadcrumbs (or corn flake crums.. yummm) then fry in hot oil. When they're mostly cooked and a nice brown, you can finish them off in a hot oven, this makes it easy if you are serving them for guests, as you don't have to fry them then and there.

OR: Alternately take about 1 -1.2kg of the mix and make one big loaf. Freeform it in a roasting dish which has a bed of breadcrumbs in it. Pour heaps of breadcrumbs over the top and make sure it's fully coated. THis stops the juice boiling the loaf as the crumbs soak it up.

Oh, and, if ya make it, make sure you let us know!!!

maple flats

What, all of these recipes and NO MAPLE SYRUP? Maple goes well in everything! (almost) ;D
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

jon12345

the real debate....

sEErup or  sIRup

SIRUP SIRUP SIRUP[/size]
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!