iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl that is leaking oil .... HELP

Started by Joel Eisner, January 20, 2006, 12:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Eisner

I have a Stihl Magnum 046.  It is not oiling the chain but is leaking oil out the bottom and on my leg when I cut.  I took the bar off last night and the aluminum thin plate that covers the chain tension adjuster and used the air compressor to clean everything out.  When I run it without the bar and chain there is still no oil coming out.  When I tilt the saw oil seems to be coming from behind the clutch etc.  Is there a loose tube?  I checked and the tank does not seem to be cracked.

Help!!!!    :P
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

thompson1600

That sounds like a bad oil pump or worm gear.  The oil pump is right behind the clutch.  The 046 oil pump doesn't have a plastic tube leading out, it goes out through channels in the case.  So either that channel is blocked between the oil pump and behind the bar stud area.  Or, your oil pump is frozen up, or the worm gear is shot.

Tom
Stihl Saws | 026 Pro | MS270 | MS360 | 038 Magnum | 066 Magnum | 084

Kevin

There's a sealing ring between the pump and the crankcase that might be leaking.

Joel Eisner

It was a rainy day so I worked on the chansaws today.  The 031 that was not getting any fuel had the vac line/ port in the base of the cylinder clogged.  Now it works better than ever. 

I started to remove the clutch on the oil leaking 046 as suggested by thompson1600 and the oil pump was loose.  The screws were almost out so I tightened them and reassembled the saw.  It seems to be working fine now.

Rainy days are nice some times.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

thompson1600

Hope that works.  Add a little loctite blue to those screws so that doesn't happen again.

Tom
Stihl Saws | 026 Pro | MS270 | MS360 | 038 Magnum | 066 Magnum | 084

oldsaw

Glad you figured it out and it was cheap.  I was going to use the "smart donkey" answer and say that it was just "marking its territory".  My 066 has a grease spot about 16" around where it sits under my workbench.  Make sure you clean the screws and the holes before you use locktite, it doesn't work very well unless the surface is clean.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Dale Hatfield

A little tip  to keep your saw from marking its spot.
Sometimes when you use it  and remove bar and chain for whatever reason.
Some  sawdust goop get in under the  mounting surface. It then gets  baked on cooked on  3 places. It usually has a black look too it.
This causes 2 problems .
1  a lose bar and chain. because the bar  is smashed on the high spots and not on the flats like it should be and alows it to move some. scrap it off with putty knife .
2.  It ca also keep bar from sealing at the oil hole making for a leaking /poor oiling  saw.
Another option is to check mounting surface on side case behind bar nuts. I have seen a few that were far from flat. this can cause  a few problems  .Cracked side case and poor sealing  for bar at oil port. A good flat file will solve the  poor casting on side plate.
Dale Hatfield
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

oldsaw

I store it under my workbench with no bar.  A 36" bar would be a traffic hazard for my ankles.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

timberjack240

Rainy days are nice some times.

one time it rained for a few days strate and my pap did nothin but work on his saws and we went over he had 12 or 14 ready to go to the woods  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!