iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidsteer and logsplitter combination

Started by GAV64, February 28, 2006, 06:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAV64

Does anyone have or have used one of those log splitters I have seen that mount up to the front of the skidsteer, either the ones you load or the ones that split from the top while you sit in the seat. what are you impressions. I can't get past the fact that you are standing in front of the machine while it is reving high laosing the splitter, doesn't seem too safe.
thanks glenn.

isassi

matter of fact, I do and I do. I bought a home made splitter missing the engine a few years back, and I simply took the lines from the splitter valve to the aux hyd lines from the bobcat, and away it goes. It has a 4 inch cylinder and with the high pressure of the bobcat, it has yet to not split anything I have loaded it with. I did not mount my splitter to the machine. It sits on the ground, and I park the bobcat close enough to couple the hoses, set the parking brake, and about 1/3rd throttle is all it needs. It can idle and splir fine, you just want a little more speed. You should never trust the parking brake on a Bobcat, and I chock between the wheels with a chunk of firewood. Do not ever chock the front wheels because if it creeps, it will literally jump up and over the chock  :o and you don't need to ask how I know this.... :D Good luck with it.

TexasTimbers

Emergency brake? What's that? :D
I have left mine on so many times it's totally useless now. It sure was handy when it worked.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

thecfarm

I don't see how the ones you seat in the seat can work that good.If you have a 2 acre field to spread the wood all over the place,than you still have to pick it up.Now the ones you load by hand on the ground,like one that hooks to a tractor PTO would work fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Buzz-sawyer

Ill teel ya how fer free..........turn the conventional log splitter upside downw.......then you can split the wood ALL day without getting outta the seat....also use it to pick things up as a grapple ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Brad_S.

I've been intrigued by the loader mounted splitter too and wondered if it came in a model to accept 3' lengths. I had presumed you pinch a chunk, position over the truck bed, split it and let it fall right into the truck. Doesn't it work well that way?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Striker

We have two splitters that we run off of skid loaders. One sets on a stack of pallets and you pull the loader or excavator up to it. the other is an upside down splitter that will split 36 inch pieces. Both work real well.

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!