iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut mantle finally pictures!

Started by sawmill_john, March 03, 2006, 02:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmill_john

Well it sure feels good to finally get my brother in-law to finish the mantle that I provided the wood for.  The 100 year plus chestnut tree had to be removed because it was dieing.  At over 5'-6" in diameter, at the butt it was quite a hand full, but I managed to cut her all up.  The assorted boards have been air dring for the last two years, and it sure works up nice.  the inset piece is some black walnut that was cut about the same time, but that had been dead and standing for two years before I cut it, so it was much drier.  I've made some bowls and a few other things, and even sold some turning blanks but people in oregon don't really know much about chestnut, they don't know what they are missing.  Well here are the pictures.

The top piece is a full 2" x 10" with mitered corners so no end grain.

we also wired in lights under the mantle, and hooked them up to a dimmer.

that's it It was a long time coming but they are happy with it, next project 11 - 1" x 12" stair treads from the same chestnut.  it should be just about ready to plain next month.

This last one was a christmas gift from my 9 year old son the his aunt and uncle, we always like to have him make something with his own hands, I think it means more both from the giver and the receiver. 

john

mike_van

Nice job John - That Chestnut is a great wood, I did my kitchen cabinets out of it. It has a good smell when you cut it that's unique. No mistaking it.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

GF

Excellent workmanship ;).  I have not seen any Chestnut lumber before, it sure looks like some nice wood.

UNCLEBUCK

Yep that sure is a beautiful job sawmill john  8) look at all the beautiful wavy grain !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

rebocardo

Talking about adding a few thousands of dollars of value to your house, that looks awesome. I bet it looks even better in person  :)

I remember having Chestnut trees in the 60s in my neighborhood, people use to eat the nuts too, a real shame they are gone.

sawmill_john

Thank's for the kind words, the but had some great figure to it and of course there were numerous 20d spikes that were stained which makes for very interesting wood, but not the most desirable.   I too have found memories of collecting the chestnuts with my grandmother the she would boil the nuts and we would eat some and some she would save for the best chestnut stuffing. 

John

Troy

Really nice!  Got to feel good when you finally see the end result of your hard work turn out so beautiful.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Frank_Pender

Thank you for sharing, John.   I remember way when you spoke of the tree  and its going to be sawed.  Nice touch with the walnut, as well.  When are you coming up the Willamette River for a visit? ;D
Frank Pender

Ed

Wow!!!!!
That is beautiful, your bil did an excellent job & mother nature provided some awesome grained wood.
I'm jealous!!!  :D :D

Ed

sawmill_john

Thanks again, Frank I'll have to figure out what's up here for the next month or so I think one weekend I'm going to have to go to Seattle, and baseball is right around the corner, so I know you've heard it now for more years than I can remember.  I'll figure it out and come down and play, here soon.

john

DoubleD

sawmill john really nice wood and your bil did an awesome job 8) 8)
thank you for sharing the pictures with us 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

Thank You Sponsors!