iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know what this is actually for?

Started by TexasTimbers, March 07, 2006, 03:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I know we all have to grab whatever is handy and "make do" sometimes. I had to cherry pick a timber from the bottom back of the stack 'cause I didn't want to have to remove all that was in front of it and use the forks. So my question is what was that chain/ring thing with the two doo-hickies on each end actually designed for?
I know it must be something for use around a mill it was with alot of the peripheral stuff I got with it.

Those didn't give much detail I will take a close-up later today.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Murf

It looks like the rig they use on the winch of a wrecker or roll-back to connect the winch line's hook to the frame of the vehicle.

I think the doo-hickies are actually called J-hooks, because of their shape.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

beenthere

kevjay
If the 'hooks' at each end of the cant are pointed (like the cant hook) then we used that arrangement a lot to cross load logs on the truck. So you can move logs that way too.

Do they look like any of these hooks?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

I'm not exactly sure of what part of the contraption you are talking about, but that rig is what we used to call a "Bridle" and it is used by riggers to center a load and help to control its swaying.   I was introduced to it by folks handling steel and long culvert pipes.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

TexasTimbers

beenthere ya can't see them in the picture well enough. Didn't have time to get a better shot tonight. The J hooks you show are what I'm using in the end of the timbers, attched with choker chains to the thing-a-mabobs in question, that also look like j hooks but are noit.
I think they are probably supposed to have some sort of other mechanisms in 'em. I'll get a better shot tomorrow hopefully I really wnat to know what they are.
Tom you is keyrect. But a better picture will bring the lightbulb on for y'all I'll bet as like I say, it's gotta be some sorta sawmill part thingy doomaflotchi.

IMERC

equipment 3 point hold down / binder system..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

sawguy21

Looks like a pipe sling. The bridle is wrapped around the pipe and the hooks on the end of the short chains are hooked int the end of the pipe, keeping the bridle from sliding inward.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kirk_Allen

TexasTimbers

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Don P

Acme Sling Hooks ?

I did put a C clamp through the windshield of a Pinto while doing a half second engine installation one time.
Darn shame it didn't sling it into the gas tank  :D

beenthere

kevjay
NOW I see what you are referring to :), but the original ""chain/ring thing with the two doo-hickies on each end "" had me thinking you were asking about the hooks in the end of the cant.  I couldn't make out what you were really asking about in the pic.

This is what I was understanding you to be asking about in your first pics.....thus the miss.  ::)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

badpenny

When I was in the Navy, we used a sling like that for moving barrels, it was called a "barrel chine". The hooks would fit on each end of a barrel, hooking over the lip, and move it horizontally.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Bibbyman

We don't do a lot of timber picker-upin' but we do a lot of wrestling around getting logs out of those DanG drop-down style bumper hitch trailers and from PU beds.  We bought a grapple just to help but the unit we have is not nearly delicate enough to get logs out without damaging the trailer or PU bed.

Where can a person find a hooker thingy like that?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Rockn H

Since ya'll are using front end loaders with forks instead of cherry pickers with cable and hook.  It seems like you could do away with the chain bridle and just use a chain running straight down the log from one cant hook to the other.
Bibbyman, if you could find some hooks like in Beenthere's pic with the ring in the end,( you could take a set of logging tongs apart and they would have the rings in the ends already).  Then couldn't you just use a chain with grab hooks to adjust the lenght of chain for different length logs?  For unloading trailers with fenders, put your forks as low as you can and hook one end of log with tong half.  Then run the chain back over the forks to the other end of the log and hook that end with the other tong half while pulling the chain tight and hooking it back to itself. ???

Thank You Sponsors!