iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

junk trees

Started by Mr Mom, March 23, 2006, 08:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

I have read that some kinds of trees are junk because the dont have a market for them.
     What i cant see is why they say it is junk??
     Just because you cant make big $$ off the wood it is still good wood.
     Maybe i am think to much ;D ;D ;D.

I have heard that aspen is junk wood around here( i dont know if that is true) but i plan to get some to use for siding on my barn.

Maybe it is just the word junk that is getting my goat.
     Is there a wood that is really junk and is not good for anything?

Thanks Mr Mom

Kirk_Allen

Almost all wood is junk so dont waste any time messing with it. Just drop it off at my place and we will take care of the disposal concerns ;D

Osage Orange, Bois-D-Arch, Hedge is considered JUNK by just about every farmer that has it in his field or fence line.  One mans Junk is another mans treasure ;D

I have yet to find a log I couldn't do something with to turn a $

sawguy21

On another thread somewhere, somebody mentioned that walnut was so plentiful it was viewed as little more than firewood. We prize walnut for cabinet making and paneling. What Kirk said.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mr Mom

That is what i mean. How come it is junk to some people and not others?

Kirk Allen.... I dont call any wood junk unless i cant use it. The only wood that i cant use is rotten.
     sawguy21..... About 5or 6 years ago i talked to a logger and he had some walnut that he could not give away. They were marked and ready to cut but didnt find anyone that wanted them.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom     

Ianab

I think the words you are looking for is 'low value'.
Most trees can be used for something, even if it's firewood (which is an important use to many people).
But if the cost of extracting tree and trucking to it's destination is greater than the return, then technically the tree has no commercial value. And something with no commercial value could be considered 'Junk'. But if you can harvest it more economically, sell it for a better price or sell it to a closer market, that same tree may have value.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kirk_Allen

Walnut is a commodity tree around here. 

I just cut 8 - 2x6 boards for my neighbor and told him to enjoy them but remember me the next time you have a tree down.

"Well it turns out I have a small walnut that has to come out for a fence I am putting in and your can have that thing."

How small"

"Its only about 24" diameter"  If you need one bigger there is one a little further down that is about 30" but thats pretty big.  Cany you cut one that big?

He went from 24" being small to 6 more inches being big :D :D

YES, I can cut the 30" but before you cut them let me take a look at it and see which one we want to let grow. 

"Take them both, there both coming out either before planting or right after.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

MORE FREE TREEES............LOGS ;D

TexasTimbers

Hey Kirk - I was looking for the icon where the little dude sticks his tongue out at you. Just pretend you see it here.

Y'all get this guy. He calls me up and says "Are you awake?" Yup i'm pulling into a new hotel that has paid their wireless internet bill so I can get online. He says he just called me up to tell me how I missed out on getting to see him get a 2' walnut given to him. Oooooh just rub it in Kirk. I might slip tomorrow when you aint lookin and trim your ear for you.  ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

TexasTimbers

And oh yes it is spelled Bois D' Arc with no h and no hyphens. You know how it is pronounced you have been hearin a loudmouth southerner blab about it for going on 5 days.

Hey it just dawned on me you just FREE TREES again does that mean we just drive over and you load us up with walnut on top of the osage?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

woodmills1

Junk trees have nails in them. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Hoop

I'd be willing to say "Not economically feasible" would be a better word than junk.

Around here, basswood pulp is junk.  Not really useless, as they do use it for pulp.  However, by the time one pays stumpage, logging costs to get it to a landing, and trucking costs, one is no longer in the profit column.  They have lost anywhere from $5 to $30 per cord.   Not exactly the agenda most loggers have in mind.

Mr Mom

Thanks guys.
     Hoop..... you are right the wording needs changed.

Thanks alot Mr Mom

Kirk_Allen

I have sold Basswood carving blanks for a premium.  I only have two 8 foot 12/4 peices left and they are 14" wide.  Basswood is not common in our area thus no problem selling it.

Thank You Sponsors!