iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody planting wildlife food plots?

Started by Larry, April 03, 2006, 08:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

The quail have been hammered in our area so...went in to NRCS to pick up our free seed to plant food plots.  Got something like 8 plots picked out.  Been doing it for a few years and yeap I think it is helping the quail.  Get the right mix and turkey plus deer show up.

Anybody else gonna plant?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dutchman

We have 3 plots @ 1/2 ac each on 150 ac.
We need to put in fresh clover mix in 1/2 ac. plot, sometimes mix in buckwheat.
The farm property is almost all wood, about 80%.
Surrounded by crops on 3 sides, 4th is against  State Game Lands 8,000 ac.
Love to watch the deer, bear, and Turkey.Hunt the grouse every year on the
Game lands.

SwampDonkey

Well since I'm feeding moose and snow shoe hare alot of my planted trees and hardwood, does yellow birch, spruce and white pine count as food plots. ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

I put out two half acre plots.  My hope is that the deer will prefer the clover/alfflfa/buckwheat/corn/soybeans to my saplings.  Works well except for late winter. early spring.   >:(
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Burlkraft

I'll be doing my usual Buckwheat for the duck shootin' pond and the clover from last year ought to be doin' good. I am going to do a couple of 1 acre plots of sugar beets. The deer don't eat them until after a hard freeze when all the sugar goes into the tops. Last year I tried a small 1/2 acre plot and it was gone in less than a week after the first hard frost. I was laid up with my knee surgery, but my huntin' partners shot 2 nice bucks off the beet patch in the afternoon. So this year it's my turn to hunt the beets ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D smiley_antlers smiley_antlers smiley_antlers smiley_antlers
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Burlkraft, I think some of your cousins to the south will scoff at the idear of frost making the beets more tasty. But, up here in the land of ice and snow we always leave rutabega in till a hard frost and we never dig our parsnips before spring if ya want to have any kind of taste from the stuff. If I want to eat saw dust, I'll eat sawdust. :D :D

disclaimer: please forgive me for my wide sweeping statements. Wait till I get my tongue away from my cheek. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I left some carrots and some beets in my garden.The deer had a fest on both of them.The snow was a purple color and no,the snow wasn't orange either. Some people leave the carrots in the ground and dig them up in the spring.They keep very well this way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

The deer didn't eat the beets, Just the tops.....They must have been swweeeeeett. They were gone in no time.

People actually eat rutabeggies and pasnippers ??? ??? ??? ???

I thought that was just a fairy tale :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Deer, moose and groundhogs will eat them tops no matter what time of year. The sugar is stored in the beet root, but the greens would be tempting to most any rodent, large or small. :D

eagles nest

i planted Whitetail clover in 2 small (2000 sq ft) locations here & will plant a 1/2 acre ass soon as i get the fescue killed

Deadwood

Part of the argreement we have with the local paper company requires us to make considerations for the wildlife. It is a pretty easy requirement to fill however. We have a 1/2 acre plot that we plant with winter rye in the fall to give the deer something to eat on in the spring. It is still a bit early yet, but the rye is turning green so the deer will be out soon.

As for some other spots on the property, it really is not what we grow as much as it is what we leave. We try to leave a strip of planted cow corn in some fields for the turkeys and deer. Chopping the corn also produces spillage that the wildlife eat all through winter.

We are very timid when it comes to cutting in a few of the deer yarding swamps that we do have, and generally speaking the requirement from the paper company is pretty easy to live with. In fact, it kind of makes you feel like you are shaking hands with nature :)

WV_Forester

Soon as it dries up a little more I'm gonna get my food plots plowed up. I put out about 30ac. worth every year scattered around the property.

walleye45

I have 20 acres in the eastern UP of Michigan and HAD an aspen stand that was clearcut this past fall so I hope the shoots bring some birds and deer. I also just planted 4, 10x10 foot whitetail clover plots near the swamp/hardwoods.  I also put down about 2000sqft of some cheaper clover mix. Will see what happens. I cant wait till bow season. If it works then the plots will get bigger next year.

crtreedude

I love parsnips! And there is no hope of them down here.

No frost. I know I have your sympathy...

We plant lots and lots of fruit trees along edges and things. We have a little herd of tropical deer - a buck , doe and two fawns. They don't even come up to me waist. We are pretty excited about them since these deer are nearly extinct.

They did nibble some pilón, but that is okay.

The monkeys like the bananas that we plant. I wish they would leave me a few wild ones, they are small and I hear really good!

The howler monkeys think they own the fincas - just ask them!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Blake22

Florida has a Landowner Incentive Program (LIP) that shares cost for habitat enhancing on private lands. They help pay for burning, harrowing, chopping, gates , osprey nest and alot of other things. My sister has 100 acres of 2 year old long leaf pines and they paid me $38 an acre (75% of the cost) to chop between the pine rows. I guess my sister decided the other 25% would take care of my hunting 'cause I haven't seen her share of the money yet ;D I'm not going to ask for it either. I've killed several nice bucks in the last couple of years on that property. Two years ago I killed a 9 pt that weighed 210 lbs. That's a giant in Florida.

Go to:  http://www.myfwc.com/lip/financial.htm

I'm sure other states have similar programs.

I know ya'll must think I'm stupid but I'm not sure what you're calling "buckwheat" we don't grow that here, under that name anyway. I plant cow peas & sowbeans in the summer & fall. In the winter I plant oats or wheat & ryegrass. I have planted collards & mustards too. I like browntop millet for quail & chuffers for turkeys. Also I keep feeders full of corn year round and put out ear corn when I can get some.

This year I'm going to try to get some perennial peanuts going.
Blake

Deadwood

I planted some Winter Rye last year in a plot hoping the deer would feed on it when Spring came. This year though because of the way the frosts went out of the ground so quick, and how quickly the temp went up, the Winter Rye and the regular vegitation turned green about the same time.

Of course having their choice, the deer usualy pick the sweeter tasting natural grass. Some years when the grass is dead and the Winter Rye is up, you have to chase them out of the plot!

Oh well, I am going to plow it under soon anyway and do what I do every year. Plant it in oats so that in July and August they will have something tasteful to munch on.

Deadwood

I planted some Winter Rye last year in a plot hoping the deer would feed on it when Spring came. This year though because of the way the frosts went out of the ground so quick, and how quickly the temp went up, the Winter Rye and the regular vegitation turned green about the same time.

Of course having their choice, the deer usualy pick the sweeter tasting natural grass. Some years when the grass is dead and the Winter Rye is up, you have to chase them out of the plot!

Oh well, I am going to plow it under soon anyway and do what I do every year. Plant it in oats so that in July and August they will have something tasteful to munch on.

Tony

I went to a wildlife refuge where Miss State does a lot of research, and
as we were riding from one demo to another, there in the middle of a stand of
20+ yr old pines they had corn planted. Looked to about 4 rows wide for about 100yds. Around here the boys have been trying to get corn to grow in the woods around their deer stands by piling it up in the fall ;D ;D ;D  for years.

I'm trying something new for me; fertilizing honeysuckle for the deer.

Tony
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

crtreedude

We are going to be planting lots and lots of trees that are both food and lumber. In fact, I am doing research into trees that are not normally grown for lumber - but are superior wood.

For example, Jackwood (from the Jack Fruit tree - sort of like Bread Fruit) is considered superior to teak as a wood - and totally resistant to termites.

Sapote is a deep red wood - and has a fruit my wife Amy loves.

There are many, many other tropical trees that produce tons of food - and are great wood trees too.

Feed my lust for wood and my hunger for food at the same time - what isn't to like?

We have been invaded recently by white face monkeys who are after our bananas which are ripening nicely. Monkeys particularly like the Ciebo tree - lots and lots of food produced. Same for the Ojoche.

Being that we are supposed to be a rainforest - our food plots are trees!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

SwampDonkey

The only thing I been finding planted in pine plantations is wacky backy for another kind of wildlife.   >:(  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!