iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Hex" signs on buildings?

Started by broker farmer, April 04, 2006, 09:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broker farmer

Does anyone have any information on what I "think" are called Hex signs on buildings?  I've seen these out in Pennsylvania on Amish barns.  Who designs and makes these and does anyone know what their meaning is?

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

Pretty interesting. That avatar Ron W has .......

looks similiar to some of that stuff I wonder if it is one  ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ron Wenrich

Sure is!   :D  Stands for good luck and prosperity.  I felt it was fitting for the forum when I signed up.  Looks like it worked pretty good.

You don't see as many hex signs as you did in the past.  I don't recall seeing any on an Amish barn in this area.  The Amish vary widly from area to area, but decorating barns isn't something they do.

For a history on the hex sign, go here: 
http://www.amishnews.com/featurearticles/Storyofhexsigns.htm
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

TexasTimbers

That's cool. I always wondered about the meaning of it and just never asked. Mystery solved!  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

thecfarm

Probaly you are seeing the hex signs on "English" farms.We have a few Amish friends in Lancaster County,PA and none of them have these on their barns.I don't know why,never gave it a thought.Probaly religion belief.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thedeeredude

You should come to berks county sometime if you want to see hex signs.  I don't see as many in lancaster county.  Most people just put htem on their barns for decoration anymore.  The old Pa germans were very superstitious though and then they might have served a purpose.  They kept a caged bird inside their homes to ward off evil spirits.

Thank You Sponsors!