petefrom bearswamp

those old broadaxe guys were artists at making a pretty smooth surface
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Papa1stuff

Have seen that engine many times ,but it now has disappeared ,don't know where it went! :(
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

gman98

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 31, 2011, 10:30:10 PM
About '66 was the end of the drive. Irving built some piers above Beechwood dam before it's construction, near Clearview, that never got used when the government stopped the drive.

J. K. Irving's wife, Jean, wrote a book about Rev. R. H. Nicholson from up near Woodstock (Riceville), who was also a painter and teacher. Many of the paintings are of horse logging and camp life, which Jim Irving commissioned Nicholson to paint in 1960 from his memories. The Irvings own many of his paintings, some are at the Faculty of Forestry at U of Toronto. A lot of the scenery you can tell is from Carleton County, you look at them and know exactly were they were if you know the area up along the river valley in the Woodstock area. He would teach Mrs Irving to paint when she enrolled in his classes in 1977. The folks in the family here knew the Rev. because he was a Wesleyan preacher and involved in Bethany (a Wesleyan Bible college), which was founded in Woodstock in 1945 and moved to Sussex in 1966.

I have a copy of the book here signed by Mrs Irving and Rev. Nicholson. My aunt in Sussex, now 80, is a retired teacher and she paints as well. She gave this copy to us.

This is one of Rev. Nicholson's paintings called "Icing at Night".

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but my grandfather has done this work years ago. They iced the roads to make it easier sledding the wood out of the woods. My grandfather  (mom's dad) would have been the same age as the Rev. born 1909. It was dad's side of the family that has the church ties to the Rev. But dad's mom had uncles that were woods contractors or teamster with hired men and camps they built.
Starting my second summer doing pct and plantining crew management with Irving in may and I enjoy looking at his paintings in the office on Saint John.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

Darrel

MUD! MUD! MUD!  The weather is muddy, should be icy!  There shouldn't be no stinkin mud in January!

End of rant!

Carry on. . . . .

Edit to add: Sorry, wrong thread, but carry on just the same.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

dgdrls

Ottawa River log rafts with Parliament Hill in the background

D

Bay Beagle

Few Pic's from my local mill in West Point; they are from other sources .... not mine ~

Kbeitz

Quote from: Jeff on November 02, 2002, 09:13:13 AM
Woe!
I Don't want this to get out of hand now. I don't know what the availability is of the book if any, or what the price is now.

The Book is Titled
Underwter Logging.
Cornell Maritime Press,Inc.
Currently out of print

Now available on Amazon...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dave hummell

There is a book called Forest enterprises of the Adirondacks by steven bick . It covers some of the guys working the woods today.There is a video called from stump to ship it was made in early part of the 1900's i got that last time i was up to Boonville to the woodsman show.

mpace89

I've recently gotten my hands on a bunch  of my grandfather's old photos of various mills he worked at and I thought you guys might like to see some of them as I scan them.
So far, they're mostly from Masten PA, but I think there's some from LaQuin and maybe New York in the box as well.

Employees of Sone's Mills in Masten PA (I'm assuming its around 1915-1920 since that's when the rest of the photos are dated)

Flood in Masten, PA August 8, 1917

Another photo of the flood in Masten, PA August 8, 1917

The Masten Athletics, 1916 (if anyone can ID any of the men, please let me know)

The NHLA convention in Chicago IL in 1955.  My grandfather, Oscar Dalton is in the middle of the front row, but if anyone can ID any of the other gentlemen, please let me know.

Kbeitz

This is only a few miles from my home. My uncle is a Sones. Maybe we are related. 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

mpace89

Might be, I know my family was big in the lumber industry out there up until my uncle passed away.  Oscar, any my uncle Tom, used to run mills more than own them I think and for the last 40 years or so of his life, my uncle was a lumber grader/inspector out of DuBois.  

And here are some pictures from today's scans.

This is Loleta Mill

The log pond at Williamsport

Costello Mill

The Masten Hemlock Mill in 1916

And then I think this is the same mill in Masten during the flood of 1917

SwampDonkey

Appreciate the old pictures mpace89. My family was always on front end of the business, cutting the trees and hauling them or driving them on the rivers. It was seasonal for us, as we were farmers on dad's side and guide/outfitters on mom's side. :)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

51cub

I'm liking the history, thank you for posting!
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

WLC

Here is one of the sawmill that was set up in my home town in GA in the early 1900's.  At the time it was the largest sawmill ever constructed East of the Mississippi River.  They cut most of the virgin timber off the mountains in NE GA and into Western NC.  It was able to saw 125000 BF a day.  

Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

dgdrls

An early one log load!
Old Leland 1/2  or offset cab.
Believe its from NZ.
D

mart

I love all these old pictures. I don't have any to share but I do have a recording of my great grandfather in an interview done by St. Lawrence University. My mom just sent me her copy as mine was not good. It should be there when I get home from the oilfields on the 6th. If I can figure out a way to get it downloaded to my computer, I will share it here.

It is his stories of the lumber camps of the Adirondacks in the early 1900's.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Ianab

Found a picture today of the old mill that used to be on my parents farm in the 1930s I believe.  It's on a local museum web page, and they are particular about reproducing their images, so I'm linking to the museum page.

https://collection.pukeariki.com/objects/166554

When I was growing up all that was left of the mill was the concrete base that supported the saw, sitting in the field behind one of the hay sheds. Further up the farm there were cuttings where the bush railway ran to bring the logs in, and even a tunnel the tracks went though. The old trestle bridges over the streams were gone though.

View from the same location these days, not a trace left

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

The pics are so cool.  Even us old guys do not realize how tough things were back in those days!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Well,I see the mountains look the same. :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Some of us know how tough it is now. :D :D

At least Trump down there didn't impose carbon taxes. Imagine taxation on the carbon cycle, most ridiculous boondoggle yet. Send Al Gore the bill. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dgdrls

Found a couple more,

ADK region of NY

If I recall correctly this one is from Oregon

D

btulloh

Man, those are some big stickers in the bottom photo.   :D

That's not a picture we'll see again any time soon!

Thanks for posting that.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!