iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ACQ wood treatment

Started by Qweaver, April 21, 2006, 12:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

How does the ACQ wood treatment compare with the CCA treatment? I'm getting ready to put posts down and will have to use ACQ... I guess.   CCA is still available for saltwater use but not residential. 

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Tom

I've not heard much about how good it is for the purpose it was intended.  But......   You do have to use special fasteners because it is so caustic that it eats up the normal ones.

DanG

Yep, be very careful in selecting fasteners.  Hot dipped galvanized nails are the "standard", but stainless steel is better.  I'm a little afraid of the galvanized stuff because it is a sacrificial protection.  What happens when the zinc is all eaten away?  My building inspector buddy told me about a guy that built a fence using freshly treated (wet) ACQ wood and brite common nails.  The fence literally fell apart a week later! :o  I don't really know, but I'd think it would help if the wood was thoroughly air dried after treating.  That might not help in an outdoor situation, though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Won't answer yer question, but, I have seen that green color laying on the ground, under a stack of ACQ treated wood, right after a good rain. I was "told" that it washes off the surface in a rain ???  Any truth to this ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Qweaver

Well, here is a case in point.  I'm adding an extention to my saw shed and had to pull common sinkers from ACQ that had been in the wood for 9 months. The amount of rust that was on the nails was no more than what I would consider normal and there was actually less corrosion/rust on the nails that were in the ACQ than in some of the poplar that was nailed up wet.  The ACQ treated wood was fairly dry and this may have been the difference.  I will only use HD galvanized nails from now on tho'. 
The EPA info on this is a good read and clearly points out where CCA treated wood can still be used.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

DWM II

I dug this up to ask if anyone knows where I can get some pine treated in the La. Ms. area. I have been cutting some 6x6 and 4x4 for some live stock fencing. Is there a place where I can buy ACQ and treat it myself? Is ACQ applied under pressure or is it absorbed? If anybody has experience with this stuff as far as how to handle it safely and such that would be good info too.
Stewardship Counts!

Don P

It is a pressure treatment done at the same facilities that did cca. One thing to do whenever dealing with any unknown stuff is to google up the MSDS.

This is a link to an EPA page on ACQ
http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/reregistration/cca/acq.htm

One thing to look at is the different formulations described on that page.The Simpson website talks about this some, ammonia is apparently a big factor in corrosion and a variable in the different blends.

DWM II

Thanks Don P, I'll give it a look.
Stewardship Counts!

pineywoods

DWM it might be a bit too far for you, but there is a pressure treat plant in Jackson, Ms. I had some 6X12 bridge timbers treated there recently. They charge by the board foot. they put the lumber in a pressure vessel and keep it under pressure for several days. wood must be dry under 20%. I can get details if needed
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

PineNut

Pineywoods, I am not far from Jackson and would appreciate info on this company.

pineywoods

Pinenut, try www.follen.com or 601-948-1746. I think they use cca not acq. We had a bunch of 6X12 bridge timbers done. they will unload your vehicle and reload when done. Place is in south Jackson, just off hwy 80
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DWM II

Thanks piney, I'll be requesting a quote. It will be good to know approx. how much per bdft it cost to treat so I can relay to customers as well.
Stewardship Counts!

Dave Shepard

Moisture is the key with ACQ. When it is combined with water it supposedly forms H2SO4, which is battery acid. :o :o :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

wwsjr

Donnie,

There is a place in Macon, MS (north of Meridian) that does cresote treatment. They treated the 1X6X16 and 6X6X8 pine I sawed from Katrina damage for the horse rancher at Columbus. I think he had to have air dried below 28% to use the cresote. If you want me to find number, POC, etc, let me know by PM.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Don P

Dave, I don't think so  ;)

solidwoods

DBL check that hot dip galvanize,, I think its a no-go.
I think The box will say approved for all treated lumbers.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!