iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Value of a tree?

Started by chris girard, April 21, 2006, 06:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris girard

I have a single large white pine from a tree climbing job that I'm going to be removing in a few weeks. Normally I would just chunk it down and get rid of it but this tree is full of grade 1 logs.

I have estimated it to have 1,500 board feet in it. The local mills currently aren't taking any pine logs and wouldn't give me an estimated price for the tree.

Do you guys have any idea what the value of this tree may be?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Most often a buyer requires a tree to be down and inspected not only from the outside, but the inside as well. That may be why your not getting any estimates on it's worth from potential buyers, as well as it is a single tree. Once you open a tree up there can be a few surprises. If it's a yard tree or line tree it can be full of metal from wire, nails, clothes line pulley, you name it. ;)

If you do a search on pricing white pine you'll see it varies from $70 - $550 / mfbm. If your looking for the best price, the buyer is usually looking for the best of the best.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawyerfortyish

A lot of things goes into figuring value today. Such as the size of the tree. if its to big to move or requires large equipment to move. How did you come to the figure of 1500bdft in that tree?. Also if it's a yard tree how much hardware(nails,hooks, metal)is in it?. I've been paying 220 mbf deliverd for pine good,bad and ugly but if there over 28-30" dia I wouldn't want it. Also trucking with the cost of fuel and distance comes into play.

twoodward15

That's a 36 inch BDH tree with three 16 foot logs, and it's still a shade under 1500 bdft.  I checked again with a 24 inch DBH tree and 5 logs and it was under 800 bdft.  I'd certainly like to hear the specs on this tree.  If those are proper numbers then this is one big tree.  I figured international, but they're all close on numbers that big.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

chris girard

The tree is not a yard tree. It does not have any metal in it. The lot was cleared a few years back and the logeers left a few hardwoods along with this one beautiful whit pine. The tree was left on the edge of the property line. My guess is they did not want to overcut.

The tree has a 32" dbh and is over 90' tall. Straight as an arrow. I've already climbed and inspected it. The house and garage were built adjacent to it. The tree will need to be topped out and pieced down in 16'-6" lengths.

I can get 5 grade 1 logs out of it. Using the Scibner log volume tables I rough estimated 1500 bf in it. This tree is not junk otherwise I would not even be wasting my time trying to price it.

I've climbed and chunked and rigged many pines that were not were crap but I hate to see a nice tree go to the chippers.

Buzz-sawyer

Hi Chris
I am with you ...I hate to see a nice tree wasted.....but as far as selling it you will find it has little or noalue to a buyer as a single pine tree...its nearly impossible toget veneer buyers interested in a small lot of trees...(say 3-4)....BUT it sure has value if you saw it yourself or just hire a guy to saw it ...then the resulting 1500 bdft...are worth 60 cents on up to90cents dependant onthe dimensions you cut.
Now thatvalue includes you selling the lumber...but if you need to build something I see that as one of the greatest values reaped from it :) ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

What Buzz said.

That the mills are not interested should tell you a bunch. I worked only for commercial mills. If you had a tree with any value in it to us, and brought it to us, we would buy it. If you were told the mills were not buying pine that means it has no value to them. No value means the cost of purchase and sawing and handling and storing and marketing is less then what they would be willing to pay for the tree, and they are willing to pay nothing. There are sawyers out there that may give you something for it, but dont expect it to be much as one tree is a big expense. Especially a big one.

On the statement on it not having metal in it. Unless you are as old as the tree and have been camped at the bottom of it, you can't say that about ANY tree. If there are habitations within a quarter mile of that tree and some of those inhabitants were at one time 12 years old, don't bet your bottom dollar on it...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

getoverit

I get calls all the time to go pick up big pine trees from arborists and homeowners that are cutting down trees and wanting to see them used and not sent to the landfill. Here in Florida, it will cost you $60/ton (plus hauling costs) to send a tree to the landfill.  On the other hand, I will pick it up for free. I wont, however, pay you or anyone else for the tree. It usually costs me around $35 in fuel expenses plus my time to go get it anyway. On pine trees, I dont want it if it is under 12" small end and the larger it gets the more interested I am in the log. Peterson Mills *love* big logs :)

Hope this helps !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Ironwood

I haul logs for trimmers. I usually do it for free IF it is close to home. I get the wood, pine for roof decking, hardwoods furniture or for trade for milling and other woods I can use. It is tough though, my time is valuable, the truck, crane, trailer are also expensive. Just last week I took six hours including drive time and hookup and unloading to get 8-10 red and white oaks. At my hourly rate and even with the trees being "FREE" I still may not make my shop hourly rate, sometimes the opportunity cost is too great and I need to pass on the "FREE" trees. I also hate to see things go to waste. Additionally, on occasion there is a "gem" which can make it worth while but they only come up occasionally.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

rebocardo

imo, It is worth nothing except to a sawyer that is willing to split the boards with you unless you want to pay someone to cut it up, store, and dry the lumber yourself. Me, I would buy a EPA rated stove, cut it up and burn it as firewood if nothing else.

red

does not sound like there is much value in the tree

but where are you located  someone might have a mill

just around the corner  who would appreciate one good pine

then when you get some real good/value trees  you know where to go

cant  hurt
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ron Wenrich

By a #1 log, I'm assuming its pretty clean.   Chances are that the upper logs won't grade that good.  But, those lower logs should give some nice clean pine.  Mill value of rough clean pine boards would be $1-$1.25/bf. 

Your best chances of getting someone to buy the logs is from a small mill.  White pine has different values in different areas.  Our area, it is fairly low due to the low volumes that come into the mill.  In areas where pine is more plentiful, the values are higher, since they have better markets.  Small mills have more of a niche market than many larger mills.

You might want to try a phone call to your local state forester.  He might be able to give you some leads as to where to go with the logs.

How much would you need for a tree like that in order to make it worth your while?  Sometimes when you come from that perspective, you can figure out whether the logs can be sold or not.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

twoodward15

Where is the tree located Chris?
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Hoop

Chris,

The tree undoubtedly has some value.  Most of the comments here allude to the fact that transport of the logs is going to eat up some, if not most of the value.  These comments are 100% correct.

If you find a mill that is buying this species of wood, usually they only purchase logs from those with a workmans comp/liability policy.  Like it or not, it is a sign of the litigious age we live in.

Here is the BEST CASE scenairio.  A logger is working nearby and can use your logs to "finish out" a load.  If you happen to encounter an honest logger or wood buyer,  you'll probably get something for these logs.  Certainly, the logger is going to deduct the added time of a stopover for his log truck and deduct this amount.
If the white pine is veneer quality, and you do in fact have 1500 Bd Ft, it may be worth up to $750.

Realistically, you shouldn't get your hopes up on the $750 figure, because you may not receive anything.

Many factors at play here.  I'd say it depends on what local loggers historically pay for small lots of logs.  Some pay.  Some don't.  

I did a storm clean up many years ago and wound up with 12 pieces of red oak veneer/sawlogs.   This was essentially along some high $$$ lakefront property and they wanted no machinery on the premises.  It was impossible for a log truck to get anywhere close to where the logs were located so I transported them over to my brothers house on a car hauling trailer.   The car hauler had a winch that was able to slooooowly drag the logs across the property and onto the trailer.  I was fortunate that my brother lived along a main highway and a log truck could easily get to the logs (nice drive through driveway), quickly load, and be on their way.  The fact that I knew the veneer buyer on a first name basis sure didn't hurt.  I wound up with $1000 and change for the logs.

So it is possible to receive something.  Line things up prior to cutting the tree.  

getoverit

just to give you an idea of what I have been getting for free....

Here is some pine, red oak, white oak, sycamore, and maple logs I have collected over the last couple of weeks... some of the pine is better than 36" most of the logs are over 24".. I tried to add a couple of things to let you see the size... look for the 5 gallon bucket and the gas can... the 55 gallon drum..

the only thing any of these trees cost me was the time and fuel to go get them.  People were tickled that I saved them the cost of hauling and landfill disposal fees.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

woodmills1

The mills around here have filled their quota of pine logs so arent taking anymore at this time.  I found one in maine that would take only 8 foot logs.  Pine pallet is around 260 a thousand with #1 at 360 and veneer at 550.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

derhntr

I just cut down a white pine this morning 38 inches at the butt 71 feet of log after limbing it out. 10 inches at top. Counted 125 rings in the tree.  I will have take 1 8 foot butt log #1 and a 10 foot log #1 the rest is #2 and #3 logs. Cost Free! logging for my dad.

When my mill gets here the boards will reside a 125 year old barn. Fitting I think.

only 18 more trees to cut. Figure I will get 45 logs total. Most of the trees are in the 16-20 inch range.

Value: Priceless

Brian
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Tom

derhntr

Tom,

That was by far the biggest tree I have ever cut. It had a 10 degree lean out in to a brushy swamp. Put a cable 30 plus feet up in the tree and pulled it with a tractor. Fell right where we wanted it to in a field where it could be limbed out.

Brian
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Thank You Sponsors!