iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing Blades

Started by WkndCutter, May 04, 2006, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiam

So Tom you are saying that you just have to be smarter than the blade?

Will

kderby

Tom I am jealous about the hat. smiley_sombrero smiley_elf smiley_bandana smiley_indianchief

Are all your T-shirts red??? smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch

highpockets

Listen to Tom. He is very knowledgeable about a bunch of stuff.  Now you skinny guys will probably have problems with blades. Tom and I are equipped with the midrift holder right above our belt.  I knew it was good for something.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Tom

Yes, the hat is nice.  I value it above all the rest of my baseball hat collection and actually wear this one.

That's a new T-Shirt.  It's probably the reason that you noticed it, being all fresh and all.  I've got two other T-shirts that aren't Red.  I don't use them often.  One is Green.  Kind of a dark or Forest Green.   One is a goldish yellow.  Both are really nice T-shirts but I forget who I am when I have them on.

My other red T-shirt is in the closet now.  I'll use it for a work shirt and this one will be my "Sunday-go-to-meeting" shirt until I get another sawjob.  The shoes and trousers I borrowed to take the pictures in.  I'll have to return them to my neighbor tomorrow.  He needed some dress shoes to take his wife to town today and I loaned him my Buster Browns.  I only use them for funerals any how.  It's their thirty-fifth anniversary and he is taking her out to supper at the Burger King.  I thought that was real sweet of him and offered to let him use my Gold T-shirt.  But she had made him a new shirt out of an old bedspread and he said he would feel guilty wearing the store-bought one.

My wife has applied for another job on the other side of town.   We figure, with her working two jobs, I might get another Red T-shirt soon, before this one fades too bad for church.

Jeff

When I was down to Tom's we were considering going to church but didnt cause I didnt have any dress socks to wear and Tom said he couldnt help with loaner socks either cause he had plum run out of black spray paint.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JimBuis

I hear storin a blade for a swingmill is easier. ;)

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Postman

Tom---good reply #28, "Buster Brown, Buster Brown, what will you give my if I let you down." You have this crew figured out!!

maple flats

Yea, my peterson blades have never been folded, I just store them stood on edge with teeth protectors on the teeth. Tom can you give me a video or sequencial stills on that proceedure so i can master it. If you need to know, the blades are about 22" diam and are too heavy to easily flip. ;D
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Tom

Maple Flats,

I think you and Jim will have to stick with the unfolded version of storage.  Jim is probably right in assuming that those circular blades are easier to store.  I would use one myself if I could figure out some way for it to fit on my band saw.

getoverit

When I got my Peterson mill, one of the blades had a piece of clear tubing that was split lengthwise and placed over the teeth to protect them. Somehow I discarded that piece of tubing, but it is a great idea on storing the swingblades and also shipping them to keep them from tearing out of the cardboard box. I've got to remember to get some more of that tubing when I go to the hardware store.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

logwalker

Tom, I see just one thing missing in your photo sequence. Your 'spenders.  :D
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Tom

I keep'em in the truck, logwalker.

I don't wear them all of the time because the clips in the back come loose and dig into the truck seat.  I dare not sit in the house and have them tear a hole in the wife's chairs.  So I just save them for the times in the summer when the belt is too uncomfortable and not doing a good job either.   Yep they are red.  :)

woodmills1

that looks like one rusty blade there. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

I've seen Tom in action, when others are out oiling their blades and wiping them down and fussing and fretting, Tom pulls one off the back of the truck, makes one cut to clean the rust, then commences to makin boards. I will be adopting that system.

Another thing I learned while visiting tom. Is that the secret to his full head of snow white hair that drives all the ladies crazy is really just spray glue and a georgia cotton plant.  ;D

I never should have told Getoverit that, next time we see him he'll look like a q-tip. ;)

Tom

I'm really into red.  I'm proud of my blades that obtain that "Patina".   It also makes it a little easier to see in the photograph too, don't you think.  :)

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Jeff

Part_Timer

ya just had to know he'd do it.

:D :D :D :D

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

WkndCutter

Thanks again for all the replys.

Tom,  Your the best.  I got it down.  Thanks for the pictures.

VaSawer, I'll call you.

As far as fussing over my blades and keeping them clean.  I take the time after cutting to take are of all of my equipment, including the blades.  It is not a waste of money in my eyes to spend my time, maybe 2 minutes on maintaining the blades anymore than I would skip an oil change on the truck.  When I'm cutting and I change a blade, I put the old blade back in the box and keep going.  Bottom line, good maintenance is never a waste of money.

Andy.

Tom

You're right Andy.  Maintenance is not a waste of money.

The point Jeff makes and I subscribe to as well, is that one shouldn't become so compulsive that he is wasting his time.

Oiling used blades is fine.  Especially if you are sending them to a "Resharp" program.  Not oiling blades is OK too when you have jobs that cycle blades frequently and you sharpen your own bands.  A little rust on a band has never hurt the production I get from it.  The time spent keeping it bright and shiny would be a waste of time in my achieving my sawing goals.  The old axiom "you can't judge a book by its cover" goes for trucks, blades, saws, as well as people.  :)

Everybody has to select their own goals.  It's folly to judge another's happiness by one's own needs or another's success by ones own goals.

That you have the coiling and uncoiling down has made me happy. :)

WkndCutter

Thanks for your wise words Tom.  I meant no offence to previous posters.

Andy

Tom

:D :D  Look at that!!

Getoverit's got a Platinum Blonde Afro.   :D :D :D

You look startled, Ken.  Sometimes a fellow ages quicker than would guess.  Kinda caught you by surprise, didn't it? ;D

Buzz-sawyer

Hey that pic reminds me of another friend who lives in that area....is it catching ???
I had a bout with it back around time we went to the sawlex deal....

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tom

I had forgotten about those  :D

Buzz-sawyer

Dang is a good sport........he even offered me some green colars (or some such thing)while we were looking at his garden ....but I didnt want to take the mans shirt off his back. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!