iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New members map

Started by Jeff, December 01, 2002, 03:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We now have a new members map system. It is now an integrated part of the forum available to members only.

Put yourself on the map!!!

Here is how you do it. Go up to the menu bar and click members. Find yourself in the members list and click on your name to view the profile. You will now see a link that says edit members map. Fill out the blanks and then click on the Map where you live. then click save. Thats it! This will put you on a personal map in your profile and on the group map you can see by clicking the member map icon in the top tool bar.

On the group map there is a list of member names to the right. If you click on a members name, thier location will blink on the map. If you click on a pin on the map, the users profile will open. If a user is online his pin will blink on the group map. Can you see it? Pins blinking all over!:o All sorts of cool stuff, so Come on now!! Put yourself on the Forestry Forum Map!!

P.S. I may create state maps instead of the USA map If necessary later on if things get crowded.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

I tried,but my computer won't let me right now.I need to get it fixed,it's starting to irritate me a bit.

From what I've been told,I have bits of windows 98 still floating around :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Paul can you send me somewhere where I can find your location on a map? Email me your town and province and an idea where to put you and I will add you.

Jeff

What is absolutely cool is going to the members map and watching the different parts blink where people are on line. Can't wait till a bunch of us add to it and are all on at once. 8)

ADfields

I did it but it did not put me on the map like all the others.   I placed my pointer and all so I should be showing.   Well I will give it time!
Andy

Tom

Check out MY instructions on "behind the Forum" Andy.  Maybe there is something different in them. :D :D :D

DanG, Jeff.  I have to go trolling for readers. ??? :D

Paul_H

Thanks for the help to put me on the map Jeff.I like the new flag too.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Brian_Bailey

Jeff,
 Your map system is  8)!  I'll bet you'll have to do the state maps sooner than you think. The last time I was at the NE Woodmizer branch. They had a map on the wall with pins stuck in it showing where most of their mill owners are located. I started laughing to myself wondering if there were any trees left in some of those areas as you couldn't see the map because there were so many pins.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Jeff

Andy you are not there. Try again and be sure to hit save after you click on the map.

Tillaway

Andy, remember to choose your country.  It took me a while to figure that out.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

CHARLIE

That's neat Jeff! Thanks!  I really like the flashing trees when someone is online.8)

Hey Tom!  Since when did you move to St Augustine? Your tree is in the wrong DanG place!  I tell ya (small pause for affect) you hit 60 and forget where Jacksonville is..... ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Jeff

Andy Fields, gotcha covered on the map I think. you may need to adjust the position a little. I think that is the problem for those of you with a problem. You Have to fill out loction, state or province also or it does not take??

woodman

Jim Cripanuk

Jeff

No Jim, try again. :) If you did it you will see a map in your profile.

Noble_Ma

I thought I did that too Jeff?  I'm not sure why mine didn't take either?  What did you have to do to fix it?

Jeff

Nothing, just went in clicked the map and hit save.  My view of the forum is as if I were logged in as everybody. :) Any body that needs help holler and Tom or I will get you added. (IF ALL ELSE FAILS)

The only thing I cannot and don't care to see is private messages.

Noble_Ma

And if you could, you'd have to change your name to Big Brother ;D

L. Wakefield

I did it and I love the map with all the flashing lights. Sure is a whack of us sitting up at 2300 with the forum. I haven't caught up to things in a LOONG time.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Noble_Ma

I think we're squeezing every minute out of the weekend we can.  I had a long weekend and tomorrow is work :'(

CHARLIE

Jeff, would you explain to Tom where Jacksonville is on the map. I think he's losing it in his old age. He's 60 ya know. :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

ADfields

Thanks Jeff 8)
I filled it all in and hit save and when id did not take I went back and did it a 2nd time and still no tree. ???

Looks to me like the tree is planted right in my yard, you hit it on the money! ;D   Now will you be mad if I go out and saw it up? :)   Thats the bigest tree in all of Alaska! ;D :D
Andy

Noble_Ma

Jeff,

When I got to work this morning my tree and name had dissapeared?  I added it again this time with no problems.  I'm wondering if it was my browser at home.  I use Netscape 6.0 at home and IE at work?  I wasn't seeing the tree when I pointed to the map at home.  I saw it right away at work.  Anyway I'm back!

Bro. Noble

Noble,

Even though you had a flag yesterday,  when I clicked on it nothing happened.  It works now.

Jeff,
This map deal is sooo neat!  The other one didn't work on my computer and of course didn't have all the cool features that this one has.  Every time I get to thinking this forum couldn't be any better and then you pull something new out of your hat.
Thanks once more.
Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

We have had almost 100 different members on just today and only a total of 50 people have added to the members map.

What gives? Noble did it it cant be that hard. ;) Tell em Nobel, the map is cool and they should be on it.

Lenny

Jeff
 Tryed to get myself on the map.4 times and I get the same error ???. I`ll try again this week.

Jeff

You guys that are having trouble, I am sure its because you are not filling out the form completely. Lenny, I have you fixed. You were putting your state along with your town in the location, but not filling out the two fields below, state/province and country, this is pretty much the error that others have had that I helped out.

You gotta fill them all in.
Select Map: Ya gotta do this if you don't see where you live.

Location: is your town or city or region. (You could simply say northern if you wanted but I wish you wouldnt) :)

Select State/Region (optional): This says optional, but, duh, yer putting it on a map anyways. :D

Select Country: Yes, you gotta do this, its different then select Map. You could be from New Zealand visiting and living in Canada or the U.S. for instance.

Click on the map to place your tree:

You can easily just keep clicking to adjust your position

Bro. Noble

Jffe,
Hey you smelled my name rong.

Yes, the map is pert near foolproof if I can do it.  Only took me about 40 tries.  The page was too big for my screene and I couldn't scroll the states or see the lables on the boxes that you click last.  I did a bunch of trial and error but finally got on and my light blinks in perfect rhythm.

Noble

Jeff

Come on guys and gals we got some empty states that I know we have members in.  Do I gotta start namin names? ;)

whitepe

Jeff,
Good job on the map. By the way
Nobel is the guy who invented dynamite and Noble
is the guy down in Mizzou.  Be careful not to mix
the two up cause Noble might be doing Nobel  things
to that log in Detweiler Park so it will fit on my LT15  :D
Whitepe
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Jeff

I goofed up! I left a link in the top menu to the old map. :-/  Somebody with the first name dave signed it last night but did not enter any other info. I can't find any member from yesterday that I am sure was a dave so I can notify, So HEY DAVE! YOU WENT TO THE WRONG PLACE AND YOUR BLINKY TREE STILL DONT WORK!

I can see dave now. "what the heck is a blinky tree?" :D

Tom

Noble and I have been discussing that off line and there is belief that
some of us are ...syncopated!

Bro. Noble

Tom,

Speak for yourself------I went just this morning.

Noble

DextorDee

Didn't have a problem a gitin me on the map.When I looked at it using opera it shifts everbody up ,so the guys in Fl are now in GA and I'm in SC.  IE and Netscape seem to hold the right location, anybody else notice this or is it jus me ??? Thank maybe its a browser thang  ???
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Andre

Had the same problem.  I was using opera 6.0 then yesterday that crashed on me have yet to get it working again.  So I downloaded opera 7.0 beta version that moves them also but not as much.  Also with 7.0 my personal tree would blink 1 time and then disappear, but the rest of you seemed OK just a bit further north.  It really is a beta version too real rough user interface and it would not load the WoodWeb site.  So for the moment I am stuck using explorer, but it does load the map, I now remember why I switched. >:(
See ya
  Andre' B.

Jeff

None of my sites are designed with opera as a consideration. To many headaches. Its hard enough trying to keep compatability within versions of a single browser. I do the best I can with netscape and IE. Other browsers such as opera combined make up less then 1 half of one percent of total visits. So, I am sorry about the inconvenience but not much I can do to help.

Your choice to be different. :)

DextorDee

Andre, I had the same crash problem with opera 6 locked down everything . The only way I could get it to work again was to uninstall and delete everything pertaining to opera. Also get rid of it in the registry. Then I downloaded 6.5 and installed it, seems to be ok now  :)
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

johncinquo

I was checking the map, and was suddenly reminded of what they told me when I got orders to South Dakota.  They said I would live it, there was a woman behind ever tree.  Course I got there and there were no trees!  That is a slight exageration,  but I see no "trees" out there now.  JB
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

ADfields

Down in the 48 southern states thay say if a gall wants to get a man she should go to Alaska where the men far out number the woman, right?   Well up hear IN Alaska all the galls say,  "The odds are real good but the goods are real odd!"  ;D
Andy

johncinquo

OK Jeff, what's it mean when the tree starts flashing red?  Or have I been staring at the map too long reading bios again.   JBB
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Jeff

See the list of all the members on the map to the right of the map? If you click on a name, thier tree will turn red on the map. THat is how you can find out where they are at. You could also point at each tree to get a name but that could take a long time to find someone.

Sooo.... if you had a red tree, you must have clicked on a name to the right. :)

johncinquo

OOOOOhhhhh!  Thats cool.  I just scrolled through and found some names that I could not read by clicking on the tree.  Especaily where it is getting crowded.  first PM, then ALL of the topics, now this.  It is like a new adventure every day.  Another day like today, and I will have to go back to the woods to entertain myself.  Though I dont think my headset will stretch that far.  JB
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Don P

While you're surfin the maps click on the country tab on the upper left. We got members in England, New Zealand and Brazil too! 8)

dan-l-b

Jeff, are you able to move those trees around alittle bit? ???  Seems to be a lot of room in MO but I just planted myself on bibbyman and Fred :D :D

Jeff

sure you can move them anywhere you want. Just be sure to back up your bio if you do. Editing the members map will reset your biography.

To edit map just click on your name in your post and you will go to your profile. Look for edit members map. Remember!! Back up your bio so you can re post it!!

woodmills1

hey, did ya see we got 5 trees in little ol new hampshire 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

I've been feeling a bit more crowded lately.  More lights at night on the other ridge, etc.

Dan-l-b,  I always thought Rosebud would be further east and south from me.  Fred is somewhere down by the Lake so he would be further south and west, I'd think.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm the only tree in Maryland :-[ No wonder so many people stop by to see what that orange thing is in the yard ???
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Noble_Ma

Mass has four!  I've been trying to get a couple of my friends with mills to join the forum but no luck so far.

Texas Ranger

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, we got 8 Texicans, enough to hold off all the damyankees at our borders, and maybe take over this board.  No, wait, all that work and expense. Never mind. :-X

Good job, Jeff B.   ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Noble_Ma

*DanG yankees ???  You guys keep forgetting if it wasn't for us YANKEES, you'd be eating mashed potatoes and bangers or having tea and crumpets!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Texas Ranger

There ya go with that regional stuff.  We would be eating tortillas, tamally, faheatas, casa al carbon.  Wait, that's what we are eating now, never mind.

I am trying to educate the board.  Da## Yankees is not two words, it is one word, one breath.  Damyankee.  Wait, my family is from Canada and Vermont, never mind.

I get so confused. :-/

Jeff

I just want all of you to know that don't, that Ted Nugent plays Guitar for the *DanG Yankees. :) So it's a Michigan boy giving us the rhythm, not the south as previously thought.

Don if I wrote that to fast I apologize.

Don't let Don fool any of ya. Damyankee is one of his terms of endearment. :) He just don't want to call us "Honey" in public. ;)

dan-l-b

Bibbyman, this placing christmas trees is kinda like throwing darts in the dark :D but I think I'm off your turf now.
Hey Jeff, the map is really cool 8) 8) 8) but did you ever consider using a white oak instead of a white pine? ;D

Bibbyman

Thanks Dan for giving me some space. Begain to think it was time to move to Wyoming or something. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Texas Ranger

Yeah, like most wise men, Ted moved south to avoid frost bite.  Lives about 60 miles north of me.  8)

Tobacco Plug

??? I am having trouble getting my place on the members map.  Followed the instructions, but it didn't work.  Can someone help the computer semi-literate?

Lewis
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Jeff

No prob. Yer on there now. :)

Bill_B

Planted a tree. Had to use IE6 to get the job done. I use Mozilla most of the time.
Bill B

Bigdogpc

The map is way kewl!  I ain't sure I placed right but figured it be close enough!

johncinquo

I had to bring this one back up.  Amn are there a lot now!  And MI is getting way too crowded.  What'd ya do Jeff get all the kin folk signed up?  I still love scanning the bios, what a trip.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Duane_Moore

???how do add to your profile?? what do ya punch after you edit your profile? all it says is go to the map, or ya can't add to it, where is the enter after i fill in my life story? come-on tell me,  I are Dumb,  the village Idot
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

etat

Added me a tree to that map.  Wasn't but one other there and I decided we need reinforcements down here in Mississippi!!!!!!!!  Oh, and sometimes I call my wife a yankee!  She was borned in chicago, even thought her parents was mostly jest a passin through!  Causes a pretty good fight, that's why I bring it up occasionally.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

sawman

Hey Jeff nice touch with the new map. Keep up the good work. DanG I love this place. ;D ;D          
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

SawBilly

I like the map, even Arkansas has several trees in it!! 8)

Keltic

The map is a great idea, I think I see the sun rise before any of the members.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!