The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: We got SNOW  (Read 28142 times)

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
Re: We got SNOW
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2002, 08:11:37 PM »
Back in '93, in the last century, we had what was called "The Storm of the Century."  It was a real blow, as others here can attest. Anyway, I was in S. Carolina that weekend, and had to lay over an extra day. As I was coming down through Georgia, the next day, I got stranded at a convenience store for 3 hours, while the county folks BUILT a snowplow, then I followed it at 5mph, for about 40 miles. There is something to be said for living where you get enough snow to be prepared for it. It can really bring things to a screeching halt when you ain't used to it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline ADfields

• I need less profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2002, 03:01:40 AM »
Park your car in the E-lane in Alaska in a snow storm and when you come back for it all the glass will be gone and the inside packed FULL of snow! :o   The plows hear run 35 to 55 MPH with a frount blade and a belley blade, the wave of snow from the 1st blade brakes all the glass and the 2nd fills it with DIRTY salty snow!

Tom
On truck type plows ther are big springs holding the blade upright so when it hits a manhole or something it just tips the top forward till the blade pops over it.  

It's quite a sight to see a plow running the other way down the road at night at 55mph with both blades down grinding red hot on the pavement casting a line of snow and sparks to the sholder! :o   Then after it go's by your car gets hit with a spray of roadsalt, just for kicks. :)  OOOOooooow Dats gona rust! :'(
Andy

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2002, 07:01:53 AM »
   Yeah, the sparks are awesome! The scary thing, tho, is when it's night and the visibility is poor, because those blades are HUGE, you can't see the edges,and the plow doesn't get over. It's working, where it's working, and YOU have to get out of the way. Juggernaut. :o :o  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline DonT

• Lifes rough wear a helmet
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2002, 05:50:27 PM »
I have only seen the big v-plows on a couple of times in the area I live.The norm is your standard tandem with an eight foot and wing.Arkansaweyers pictures bring back some bad memories of the ice storm we experienced in this area in 1998.In the county i live in over 1200 hydro poles where snapped,power was out for thirteen days at my house.The storm was the fun part,trying to stay warm with no power was the challenge.I have since added my wood stove and keep plenty of gas on hand for the generator.Snow plowing is fun,big toys for boys.   DonT

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2002, 07:43:05 PM »
  We have alot of folks from up North retire here and we get a bit of snow like this and they laugh at us and tell us they know how to drive on snow.  Years ago as a teenager we got a good one and I was out putting chains on my truck and cleaning off the snow.  The Guy from next door opened his garage door and started his car.  I walked over and asked where he was going.  He said to the Post Office to check their mail.  I told him the roads were slick and he quickly informed me that he knew how to dirve in snow as he was from up North and this 2 inch snow was nothing.  He backed out of the garage and down the drive across the street and thourgh the neighbors yard and into the shed by the garden spot.    It was impressive at the ability of them Northern drivers on our southern snow.  I walked over and asked if he was ok, and he was cussing mad.  He had never seen an inch of ice under 2 inches of snow before.  "Happens all the time here" I told him "And in a day or two it will be gone and I will tow you out of Mr. Johnsons shed with my 4x4."  ;D  
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Offline Haytrader

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2002, 08:40:54 PM »
Came back from Nam in Nov. of 1970 and was sent to Ft. Wainright, Alaska (Fairbanks) on New Years Eve where it was -45 degrees. Ended up with 187 inches of snow that winter. They had snow blowers the size of self propelled silage cutters we have here. Plugins in every parking lot.
Me and three others bought a 1962 Chevy Impala two door sight unseen. It was under all that snow but gauranteed to have had the water drained. It took us a couple of days to dig it out then we had wheels.    8)
NOW THAT IS A LOT OF SNOW

P. S.  All is clear on the western front.   ;)
Haytrader

Offline johncinquo

• Oh Boy A place to cut up!
    • Share Post
    • My Pictures
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2002, 02:17:35 PM »
Nothing for me but a few inches and that is evaporating off fast.  I snowmobile and will be driving to Gaylord MI to get some time in next weekend.  That is one of fthe highest elevations in MI and they get substantially more.  I was stationed in Rapid City SD in the Air Force.  They did not get a lot of snow as in inches like we do here, but the darn wind blew ALL the time and created drifts around any object.  We had the B1 bombers stationed there so they had to keep the runway clear all the time.  Those are some monster plows and blowers.  I had to ride around a weapons storage area with a guy one time and he reminded me of the guy who's haulin "rocket fuel!" in the movie with John Candy.  I swear he stepped out of the cab to clean the window while going 40 through 4ft of snow.  I loved to watch when the sun came out and they used the blowers, those beasts sent a shower of snow 100 ft in the air and across the runway that looked amazing.  There was more than 1 occassion we got called where a car had "accidently" been picked up and mangled and blown to pieces.  They do not use salt out there on the roads but sand I think.  I never had a rusty car until I moved to MI.  Here we get Lake Effect, wet and deep.  I can hardly wait!  JB
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Offline Kevin_H.

• Senior Member x2
  • my two boys
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2002, 06:05:39 PM »
Any one been to Pikes peak?
We went a couple of years ago and bought a video of the snow plows in action. These pics are off the web site, but that is one big snow blower. 500 horse-power, 12-cylinder Cummins diesel engine. The video shows them blasting away with TNT before the snow blowers came along.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2002, 08:19:53 PM »
Don't be too quick to come up snowmobiling.  Gaylord has about the same amount of snow I do.  I'm 16 miles north.  The trails around here are chewed down to dirt.  With the warm temps forecast for the middle of the week it'll be mud.
Dad has driven a county plow for many years.  He could retire anytime with a 30 day notice but got promoted to Foreman a couple years ago and is having too much fun now.  He says he's going a year from May.  I've ridden with him in his plow.  It was a IH Paystar 5000 with a 392 HP Detroit.  It would throw snow.  A lot of the time you can't see when you're driving one of these rigs.  It's all done by feel.  Different times after a good blow he'd have to stop on occasion and shovel the hood off.  That's with a right handed plow.  It's extra bad with the left handed plows that are used on the express way.  Some of the big plows have trip springs on them but not all.  It'll really throw you if you hit a soft spot and the plow digs in.  Back in the late seventies one of the guys Dad worked with died as a result of injuries sustained when the plow dug in and the truck went over the top of it.  The guy riding with him did recover but not with out permanent impairment.  The truck was totalled and the plow looked like a culvert.  It's especially dangerous in the spring after a thaw and then a big storm.  Things are really soft under the snow even water puddles that aren't frozen only covered up can throw you when you hit them at 50 miles an hour.  Dad really hated/hates messy driveway plowers.  They plow snow across roads, leaves piles on the shoulder etc that freeze hard and really cause a jolt when you hit them.  The last truck he had was a 1999 Paystar 5000.  Really nice truck.  400hp Cummins and an auto tranny.  Dad thought he was in heaven after driving the old one with the screaming Detroit and 13 speed tranny.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline ADfields

• I need less profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2002, 11:25:24 PM »
Kevin_H.
Yes I have been to Pikes Peak.   We have a steem powerd blower like that that still works the White Pass line to open it up every April.   It has no way to move it's self it is pushed into the snowpack.   Thay take a run at it and go till the blade stops and back up and get another run.

Hear is one neer Anchorage you can go in and check out as close as you want to.   It's no longer used in this part of the state as thay now keep the lines open all year with plows.
Andy

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2002, 06:54:23 AM »
We got snow Friday and it came down so hard you could not see 50 ft.  It would have been a ft deep but it was 35 degrees and had been in the 40's all week.  Now I just have a messy log yard.  I love them kind of snows.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Offline Kevin_H.

• Senior Member x2
  • my two boys
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2002, 04:46:21 PM »
Hey Andy,
Thanks for the pic, man that thing is huge. I could not imagine getting that much snow.

Arky,
we got snow on friday too. big ol flakes with some sleet and freezing rain, but it was high 40's on sat. and almost 60 today.

Me thinks we will pay for this good weather later on.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Offline ADfields

• I need less profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2002, 08:56:12 PM »
Well I got up saterday and looked out and there was white stuff all over about 2 inches deep.   Took me a bit to rember what it was as it's been about 8 months back when I last looked at some, IT SNOWED! 8)   Now if it will snow enouf for my sled life could be full of winter fun. :)   Temp is now 11 out and thats as cold as we have had so far.   It's not so DanG dark with the long nights now and a lot less brown and depressing with even this little snow.   You have not seen a DARK night till you see a Alaska 18 hour long night without a bit of snow on the ground!
Andy

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2002, 06:46:44 AM »
Andy!  Do parents take winter into consideration when they set curfew up there?   Man, I'd have loved to have had a few 18 hour nights when I was in High School.   By the time you ate a hamburger and saw a movie you had to rush to get home. :D
extinct

Offline ADfields

• I need less profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2002, 04:02:24 PM »
Thats 18 hours of DARK night, Tom. ::)   It's not all that much fun when sunup is 9:30am and sundown is 3:30 and when it's up it's so low in the sky you wish it would go back down! :(   Ever had rush hour in full dark with an inch of ice on all the roads?     It can get fun like that but the good part is in summer it's light all night long, never gets dark just dusk!

The kids hear just sit in the nice worm living room and play there X-box things, no need for no curfew when it's -10 outside.   Just TRY and PUSH them youngons out the door without the car keys, thay get like a rabid dog!
Andy

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2002, 03:33:02 PM »
HERE WE GO AGAIN.  I got snow, 4 inches and counting.  If it keeps this up I might as well move up north

Tornatos last week snow this week what is going on?
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Offline Haytrader

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2002, 06:04:15 PM »
ARKANSAWYER,

We have about 6" so far and they think we will get another 2 to 4".  ::)

It is still coming from New Mexico so we may get more. And guess what, from here it goes your direction. :D :D

Haytrader
Haytrader

Offline ElectricAl

• 1993 LT40HDE15 2012 LT50HDE25
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2002, 07:38:03 PM »
Arkansawyer,

We are brown and dry here. If fleried for about 5 minutes once.

Our weather guy on TV is so board with our weather, he is predicting 6" of snow for your area. That's on top of your 4" now.

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Online Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2002, 07:44:27 PM »
here in Northern Michigan we have about an inch on the ground.  Corley5 probably has more as would Ron Scott.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2002, 09:50:20 PM »
Didn't you mean Northern Lower Jeff ;D ;D ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the arborist

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Snow Snake & Snow Flea pics

Started by chet on General Board

25 Replies
Last post March 27, 2005, 09:49:21 AM
by Mark M
smiley
Snow... Needed a snow related project ! It's done !

Started by isawlogs on General Woodworking

59 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 10:09:22 PM
by lowpolyjoe
xx
Snow over there!

Started by Darrel on General Board

8 Replies
Last post December 23, 2015, 05:55:19 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD
xx
We Got Snow!