iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bitternut hickory

Started by jackpine, June 03, 2006, 09:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpine

I sawed a large, for this area, bitternut hickory today, 20" small end. It had a lot of dark spots and streaks in the heartwood and places that seemed to be bark inclusions.

Is this normal for hickory or perhaps  because this was a yard tree, maybe the result of damage over the years?

I'd like to be able to inform my customer as I have no prior experience with any hickory of this size.

Thanks, Bill

woodbeard

Quite normal. I see that all the time in that type of hickory. My guess is that is from sapsucker pecking? Then the area around the hole gets discolored and heals up with something barklike? I'd be interested to know for sure what does it.

oakiemac

That is very normal and it makes it hard to get good grade boards with Hickory. I don't know how anybody makes money selling grade Hickory. Every little bark inclusion or pin knot is a defect. I sell all mine as character grade Hickory and I think those imperfections really add to the lumber. I really love how the white sap wood and the dark heart blend together especially if you have a lot of bark inclusions. I'm going to have my whole living room made from Hickory like that.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

woodbeard

I agree. In fact, I think hickory is kind of boring looking otherwise. That's going to be a nice looking room!  :)

wesdor

I know a wood turner that looks for bitternut hickory with the dark spots.  He turns some of the most awesome bowls you have ever seen.  I see that you are in Wisconsin(I'm in Illinois) - if you ever come across more of the hickory - especially with woodpecker holes, let me know and I'll put you in contact with Roger.

He recently showed off a hickory "container" that was made from a rotten piece of hickory.  We called it "air turning" since there was more air than wood.  After he was done, it looked like a piece of art.

ARKANSAWYER

We are going to have to get a grader in on this.   I did not think that pecker pecks in hickory was a defect?   ???   But the spots that you are talking about is from sapsuckers and peckers working on the hickory.   Quite common here in both Bitter and Mockernut hickories.
ARKANSAWYER

Ron Wenrich

I think if its bark inclusion, than its a defect.  If its just a dark spot, than its not a defect.  We sell a couple of Mbf of hickory per month as well as hickory veneer.  Those dark streaks aren't pulling down the grade.  Markets for hickory are stronger than red oak.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Larry

First ya have to define bird peck so here it is straight from the rule book:

"A patch of distorted grain resulting from birds pecking through the growing cells in the tree and sometimes containing a hole and/or ingrown bark."

I dunno...in the 3 day short course we talked quite a bit about bird peck.  If the hole is over 3/8" yeap a defect.  If smaller than 3/8" goes by nother rule.  Has to cover more than 1/12 of the clear cutting areas but will only reduce the board by 1 grade.  Chief Inspector said this defect is rarely called because...how do you calculate the amount of pecks?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

oakiemac

Ron what are you getting for FAS Hickory? 1comm? Used to be only about 78cents around here but that was a few years ago.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ron Wenrich

I'll have to check on it.  I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and it seems that the hickory was approaching red oak, which has fallen on hard times.  Soft maple is worth more than red oak.   :o

SwampDonkey

There's gotta be something wrong there. Red maple here is 90 % pulp. No one even wants it for firewood unless it's for a kitchen stove.  ::) It's getting hard to find a good red maple that isn't stump sprouted and ripped up along side the bole by moose.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oakiemac

We ain't got too many Moose ;D
Red Maple is becoming hot and I like that since I got a lot of it.

DoubleD

Sorry to hijack the topic but I'd like to know which species is bitternut hickory since the Carya genus count a lot of species  ??? ??? ???
Wannabe a sawmiller

Ron Wenrich

Bitternut hickory - Carya Cordiformis  Bitternut hickory is the only member of the pecan group found in the northeastern US.

Hickory prices in my area are about $800/Mbf for the uppers, $650 for 1 Com, and $450 for 2 Com.  I have also heard they are making flooring from hickory, so maybe there is a market for some 3 Com.

DoubleD

Thanks Ron W  smiley_thumbsup_grin smiley_thumbsup_grin smiley_reading_book
Wannabe a sawmiller

Thank You Sponsors!