The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: wolf attack kills two dogs in idaho  (Read 11394 times)

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
Re: wolf attack kills two dogs in idaho
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 02:46:07 PM »
Humans just think we are at the top of the food chain.  Then we find out differently when we get away from the confines of a gated community.

We run into problems in the mountains (lions), swamps (gators), prairie (snakes), rolling hills (bears), ice (polar bears), desert (Gila monsters and snakes and scorpions), Ocean (sharks, poison fish, Man-O-War) and even complain about the most safe place of all, New York City (roaches, rats and gangs).

Yes sir!  The only thing for the entire population to do is get in one place, on top of a mountain, clear off everything that moves and set out armed guards.   Let the poor defenceless animals have the run of the rest of the planet.  Boulder might be a good place for the multitudes to accumulate.

I'm going to try to stay here in North Florida and keep some wayward human from harming himself by accidentally intruding in these places that are off of the map.
extinct

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
Waivering off topic here, but I just gotta.... ;D

I don't mind the skunks digging in my lawn. It's at night while I'm asleep out of range. ;D  I know there are lot of folks that want that perfect lawn, I'de rather be doing something else.  My grandfather never mowed a lawn in his life, sometimes the old milk cow got tethered to a yard tree. :D :D Besides there was salmon and trout to fish and rivers to canoe on, no time for that lawn stuff. However, I do try to mow once a week but it's not priority. Besides I have so many yard trees the lawn slows growth by mid summer because of shade and dryness. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 07:03:10 PM »
Once a week! :o :o :o
Just spent the last two days doing my yard and it will have to go at least two weeks before I try it again. ::)

Offline asy

• Senior Member x2
  • Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.
    • Share Post
    • New You Forum, a forum dedicated to the Cohen Weight loss programme.
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 03:13:45 AM »
OK...

Again probably a little off topic, but I'll ask anyway...

I don't understand hunting.

Now, don't misunderstand me, I'm no bleeding heart (well, maybe a little) but I'd really be interested in knowing your thoughts.

I fully understand going out and killing animals for food. NO problems whatsoever. Yummo, make sure ya got me some sauce.

ALSO I understand totally killing feral animals, like cats and dogs that have gotten lose in the forest and are worrying the native species.

Oh, and, I understand kiling animals that are rogue, example the wolves at the head of this topic.

But.

I don't understand what the thing is with killing for sport.

Is it like other sport where you're trying to better a skill? And if so, wouldn't it be just as gratifying shooting targets?

Is it a power thing? "Look, I can kill a big beastie?"

Please don't get cross at me for asking, I'm jeeest a simple city gal. And also, don't misunderstand, I'm not judging anyone. It's one of the things I love about this forum, I learn stuff. Before I came here I couldn't understand (from media etc) how anyone could vote for your current president, but having been here for a couple of years makes me understand the ideals and thoughts of 'the real America' much better.

I guess what I'm saying is, I understand hunting/killing with a reason behind it, but, not so much understanding of sport hunting.

and yes, I fish, but I eat what I take.  I've never shot a gun, but that's through lack of opportunity, not any sort of dislike of guns.

Now, I'l really like to reiterate. PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENCE if you are a hunter. I'm not judging you. I'm not telling you not to hunt, I'm really just trying to understand why you do what you do.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
  • A proper coffee break...
    • Share Post
    • Finca Leola Reforestation
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 06:39:33 AM »
Asy,

Well put - no offense. I used to hunt, so I will take a crack at explaining.

Hunting is part of our heritage. When I was younger, it was a way to put meat on the table - without it, there wouldn't have been much meat.  When my son was younger, I took him deer hunting. It was a great time together and teaching him how to track a deer, etc. was a good time together.

Most hunters I know do it for the food as well. Hunting deer keeps the population down - without having to have wolves and bears in your backyard.

I don't particularly enjoy the idea of hunting where they release pen raised birds - doesn't seem like hunting to me, just target practice with things that are alive.

I would actually prefer my meat to come from something wild. It is leaner and better. I guess I also look at it this way. The chicken that you probably ate was sitting in a cage all it's life. It was hatched, and it's entire existance has been inside a small square. This is true for veal as well.  Hunting to me is a more humane way to get protein. The animal has a fighting chance - with my skills, more than a fighting chance.  ::)

Perhaps the reason many still hunt is a recognition that we are predators - not grass eaters. We have the teeth of a predator, and we also have the disposition.

However, just blasting away at things isn't hunting to me. If it is that - shoot at clay pidgeons.

I don't hunt anymore, but I did enjoy it when I did.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Offline asy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 07:24:03 AM »
Fred, that's exactly what I thought, on the part of the hunting for food guys.

It's the 'sport' or 'trophy' hunting I was wondering about.

And yeah, I agree on freshly caught meat, loooooooove skippy.

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 07:32:17 AM »
I have never been much into getting the biggest animal - but it doesn't bother me...

If they like tough meat, well, I am happy to take the more tender ones.

Perhaps it is like a trophy - or women and shoes... (couldn't resist)

Now there is a mystery I will never figure out. Why, just yesterday Amy and Ana were commenting on the style of the rubber boots Amy just got.  ::)

Offline asy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 07:53:48 AM »
Perhaps it is like a trophy - or women and shoes... (couldn't resist)

Now, I know this is off topic, but I feel compelled to reply.

I, asy, own the following pairs of shoes:

1 x pair of short Ugg Boots (for winter round-the-house wear).

1 x pair of rubber thongs (called flip flops there, I do NOT own any rubber underwear that I will admit to).

1 x pair of steel toed Yakka Workboots.

1 x pair of Runners (you call 'em 'trainers, I think)

1 x pair of el-cheapo neoprene type sandals for shopping in heat.

1 x pair of leather clogs. These are my good going out shoes, I wear them for work, meeteings, and even when I was bridesmaid at a wedding.

I'm sorry if that's too many pairs.

Must admit, having a size 13 foot doesn't go well when you try to buy pretty shoes, so all mine are mens shoes, except the runners, found huge-hoofs in ladies size!

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 07:56:18 AM »
There isn't enough space on the forum for Amy's shoes, even after thinning out for moving international... At least that is what I think.

Offline asy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 08:05:11 AM »
Gosh darn it, I missed a couple...

Also, I own a pair of clog-style slippers (also mens)

And a number of pairs of 'womens shoes' but they are all in boxes under the house. When I find them I'll either donate them or ebay them, depending on how I feel at the time. They've been in boxes at least 5 years, so will see what they're like when I find them.

Offline thurlow

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »
OK...

I don't understand what the thing is with killing for sport.

Iasy :D

Well, asy, I'm as country/red neck/good ole boy as you can get; I've hunted for better than 50 years, but I've never understood the killing for sport either.  Just don't get it.  I own a closet-full of guns, but have never shot anything that......1.  I couldn't eat;  2.  needed (according to me) killing i.e. dogs chasing cattle, etc.  Have suscribed to numerous hunting/fishing/shooting magazines through the years;  have always been amused (not the best word, but I don't have a better one) at the guys who go to Africa  and pay big bucks to kill a horse (zebra) in the name of  sport.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 09:59:18 AM »
As we head off topic and go toward food... Required after a certain amount of postings.

One thing that has always amused me is that when I fish, I am fishing to eat something. Bluegill, perch, something tasty for sure. (don't know what that is here yet - but I will find out!)

Anyway, I used to have a minnow pound with crawfish too, I will set the trap the night before and have like 8 dozen fathead minnows and probably a couple of dozen crawfish - time to fish.

My little 14 foot boat and I would go fishing - often with a friend. The friend in question was always after the biggest fish he could get. Had probably 500 dollars of lures, etc, etc.

I would just set there all day, hauling in big perch and smallmouth bass. He would usually be skunked.

He learned real early never to say anything about "Only fishing for the big ones" because usually sometime in the day I would score something big - like a 13 lb lake trout, 6 lb smallmouth, 5 lb brown trout. Everything likes meat!

Used to drive him nuts!

I have caught so many lunker fish on a ultralight rig with minnows that I have lost count, and tons of food!

We had an ongoing bet for lunch - first fish, biggest fish, most fish - win two - and the other guys bought lunch for you.

I never lost.  ;D

Offline Bro. Noble

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 10:08:19 AM »
MOre than the meat,  it's the challange.

I used to love to deer hunt till I learned how and now it's no fun.
I used to love to quail hunt and love to eat them, but now there are too few quail and I don't have the heart to shoot one if I see some.

I used to love to dove hunt because they are hard to hit,  but I don't like to ear them, so I quit.

I used to love to turkey hunt cause they are a challange as well as good eating,  but I'm in the milkbarn during the best turkey hunting hours.

I blast away at ferel cats, dogs, crows, armadillos, and groundhogs,  with no guilty feelings.  The crows are a challange 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 10:20:12 AM »
No Bro. Noble - it is a chance to say that you are busy - when you aren't!

If you bring home some fish - well, you are the hero!

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006, 11:35:28 AM »
Another reason to hunt is to manage a population. One reason we hunt bear. Without the hunts the bear population becomes a problem. Your better off letting hunters pay to hunt then the tax payers having to pay hunters to reduce a population of problem animals.

You can also take it down to its primal level. One animal's use for another. Hunting is not near as gruesome as natural predation. Just think of the last moments of the dogs in the story that started this thread.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006, 01:02:43 PM »
That is a very good point Jeff - hunting is a very effective means of managing wildlife - and actually bringing it back.

As strange as it may seem - the people at fault for having so many deer now are hunters - without them, deer would have probably gone the way of the buffalo. But, people spending for licenses to hunt bucks provided the funds, and the game wardens to bring back deer.

So when Bambi munches your garden - you know who to blame...  ;D

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2006, 01:41:17 PM »
Fred, You're a quick study.  YOu are beginning to sound a lot like my Florida warning posts.  :D
extinct

Offline asy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 06:17:27 PM »
Mmmmmmm deeeeeeer.....

Loooooooove a good venison roast...  <asy salivates>

I think I'm getting to understand a little more.

Thanks guys.

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
Tom, you should see my comments on a forum I co-manage on Costa Rica...

My mom always said I learn quickly...

Offline gary

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2006, 06:53:26 PM »
Asy I'll try and explain throphy hunting for you  as it pertains to deer hunting.  Some people like to spend alot of time in the woods before hunting season starts.  They are there watching the animals all year long.  They learn where they feed and sleep. They will  also know where the deer are with the bigger racks.  They will pick out one deer and that is the only one that they will shoot,  they will let all the other deer walk past them hoping that the deer makes it through that season to grow a little older,wiser and bigger. 
 Some people don't really want to shoot a deer (cause then the work begins) but they enjoy being in the woods at that time of the year. So they will let all but the really big deer walk past them ( they just like to see the deer). I hunt with what I call the heart patient club ( 4 out of 10 of us has a heart condtion) they wont shoot a deer  unless someone else will take it or it is a trophy buck. I make sure their is someone close to them to get their deer to the truck for them.myself I am a meat hunter. I shoot the first deer that I can. I do have a trophy buck and a few ducks hanging on my walls. I shot the buck 5 minutes after hunting started it was the first deer I saw that day. I have some pictures of some of my mounts in my gallery if you would like to see them.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
Idaho Pine?

Started by Jacar on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post April 30, 2003, 01:07:11 PM
by sawinmontana
xx
Idaho is home

Started by Crossroads on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post September 18, 2018, 11:20:20 AM
by charles mann
xx
Idaho stump, what is it?

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

8 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 12:37:30 PM
by ST Ranch
xx
Boise Idaho?

Started by OlJarhead on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 02:40:53 PM
by redbeard