The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: wolf attack kills two dogs in idaho  (Read 11396 times)

Offline asy

• Senior Member x2
  • Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.
    • Share Post
    • New You Forum, a forum dedicated to the Cohen Weight loss programme.
Re: wolf attack kills two dogs in idaho
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks for that Gary.

I had a look at the nice hat rack in your gallery ;)  Did you eat the rest of it?

I guess my question was also with regard to the hunter types that go to Africa/India and kill a Lion/Tiger (or other endangered beastie) just so they can say they did (seems to me).  I don't guess I'll ever understand that, but would love to hear 'why' from their point of view.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Offline gary

• Share Post
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2006, 08:37:38 PM »
We eat everything we kill

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
  • A proper coffee break...
    • Share Post
    • Finca Leola Reforestation
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2006, 08:44:14 PM »
gary - even flies?  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Offline Bill

• Why Not ?
    • Share Post
    • Photos
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2006, 09:55:52 PM »
Asy -

You've heard alot good explanations here so I probably don't need to add this but its one of those little trivia things.

I like Teddy Roosevelt - not that I knew him as he was a little ahead of me. Its his deeds that stand out. ( oh I'm gettin to the point I just take time to git there )  He hunted for meat but I believe he also went for trophies. He was pretty much ahead of the curve - 100 yrs ago no less - on land use also - locked up more in Nat'l Parks/Forests - singlehandedly - than any other President. He wanted to preserve some/alot of the american wilderness for the future. He also had a nasty reputation for shooting alot of game. And I'm sure that you heard the story about how his hunting party killed a mother bear but when they found a cub he insisted on saving the cub and we came to have the "Teddy Bear " from that concern for animals. I'm under the impression that all the game they got was eaten ( or cured for later use ) . But he also hunted under contract. Some of his famous African safari's were funded by museums for exhibits for their displays. Now I personally am not a trophy hunter - not even a very good hunter - and I'm not saying all trophy hunters are good or bad - more like I'm saying I think there are good and bad of everything - it seems to me that its whats inside a person that counts.

BTW - His house in Oyster Bay NY is pretty neat - his wife allowed him his trophies/mementoes but  had her space without the exhibits for entertaining. Now then his place out west ( Medora ND I believe ) well he was a bachelor then.

FWIW   I believe what they say about him - he woulda been a great man even if he had not been President, especially if you look at him in the context of the values of his own time. And I'm old fashioned enough to believe that his cliche "Square Deal" ought to mean something.

Offline gary

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2006, 04:29:14 AM »
I killed a fly once it tasted so bad that now I wont kill them

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2006, 05:54:21 AM »
There are also those hunters that carry a gun in the pickup, but it never leaves the case all season. It's just a chance, or excuse, to get away from the rat race , or someone ;) ,for a few days with no intensions of shooting game. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline Norwiscutter

• Have a nice day!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2006, 11:26:53 PM »
Hunting, in my mind has very little to do with the actual shooting of the game and more to do with all that goes into it.  For me, it is mainly the comradery. The preperation, the shopping for equipment, the stories, hunting camp, the snow storms, etc. all are the things I look forward too.  Some of the best memories I have of my brother that I lost this summer are of the times that we had together doing hunting related activities. I love eating wild game and am willing to hunt any animal as long as I am also willing to eat it. I don't think I have ever seen any meat in this area go to waste from a hunter that was only looking for a hide or antlers. All the hunters that I have known that don't like the meat always make sure it finds it's way to someone that does.  Here, if you don't want your deer for some reason, it can be donated to the local food pantry.  I just find it amazing some times the negative perception some people have of an activity that serves so many good purposes.
I really think the perception that hunters shoot animals and leave them in the woods is a result of the anti gun/anti hunting establishment spreading misinforation on to people that don't know any better.  Not saying that these kind of people don't exist, but I can say that of the hundreds of people that I have met around the country while undertaking hunting related activities, I have yet to meet anyone that would act in such a maner.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2006, 12:23:12 AM »
NORWISCUTTER
(hey, that's interesting.  Hit the tab key and the message is posted.  Now I'll finish it  :) )

What you said I agree with 100%.  The 'hunt' is all those things and more.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Idaho is home

Started by Crossroads on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post September 18, 2018, 11:20:20 AM
by charles mann
xx
Idaho stump, what is it?

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

8 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 12:37:30 PM
by ST Ranch
xx
Boise Idaho?

Started by OlJarhead on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 02:40:53 PM
by redbeard
xx
Entomologist in Idaho

Started by Stamp on Job Opportunities