iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 455 or 350e

Started by ron, June 30, 2006, 03:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

I live in Florida and we have several slash pines that are 14"-20" in diameter that need to be cut. Had a cheap Poulan that was hard to start and now has a problem with the recoil starter so I want to upgrade before I start clearing around my house before hurricane season. In the future, after I cut this bunch of trees, I will have to cleanup from hurricane damage as it comes and I have to cut down the trees that die from hurricane damage. Any input on which saw to buy or is there another brand that you would recommend.

Reddog

My advise is go run'em and see what ones you like. :)

Tom

ron,
I'll tell you what the pulpwooders told me years ago.  buy a saw that has an engine in the neighborhood of 4 cubic inches and a bar that is 20".  There are two manufacturers, Stihl and Husquvarna (Husky).  They are both good.  If you have to have one repaired, you can wait on the Husky or come back tomorrow for the Stihl. (They were just trying to tell me that the bench time is more for the Stihl).

Since then, I've seen a lot of jonsenreds used professionally.  They are a Husky in disquise.  Echo has also gained some popularity with their "professional" saws.

Most importantly, buy a saw that has the best local dealership support.  Some areas are strong in one and weak in the other.  Other areas are just the opposite.

Buy from the dealer and gain his respect as well as support the service you will desire.  The big box stores may sell you a saw for a dollar less, but they will not be anxious to see you come back in the door with it if you have a problem.

Where are you in Florida.  Those pines need to be sawed into lumber.  Check on this site for a sawyer before you cut them into yard trash.  You might want to build a deck or barn.

Lastly, if you haven't much chainsaw felling experience, take a course, get some education or hire a professional.  Falling trees can kill.  :)

tcsmpsi

Hey ron

Not sure if you've looked it over yet or not, but about half-way down the posts on the page, and there is the question/heading, "Husky 455" in which very much the same discussion was hashed over.

As I was in a very similar dilemma, there was a lot of great input.   

I, personally, opted for the Husky.  Thusfar, I haven't the slightest complaint.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Max sawdust

I have been considering the 350e (e for easy start) recoil assisted saw for my 80 year old father, who has difficulty starting high compression saws.  If you are looking to do yard clean up, I feel either of those saws would work fine.  Stihl also makes some recoil assisted saws, so you are not locked in to Husquvarna for that feature.  As Tom said, good service is very important, especially if you are not into doing your own maintenance.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

oldsaw

I think you may want to step up another size if the trees are that big.  Something on the north side of 60cc.  570 or 575 Husky, or 440/460 Stihl.  Going to be more money, but you won't regret it.  I've used a 55 Rancher, and it was a nice saw, but not for the trees you are going after.  Would make a great limber/clean-up saw though.  You will need to run a 24" bar every now and then, but will probably want a 20" for most of the work.

You could buy used.  A Husky 372, or Stihl 044/046.  Lots of nice ones out there.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Ron Scott

I have a Husky 351 and a  new 455 and like them both for my use as "clean-up" saws and firewood cutting primarily. 
~Ron

jokers

The 455 has more torque than the 350 but if it were me working on those size trees and budget is a factor, I would opt for a 359 and get the muffler opened up to unleash it`s full potential.

I don`t believe the "E" in 350E is for Easy Start, I believe that it refers to the ETech emissions controls the saw has. Easy2Start is the Stihl term for recoil assisted starting.

rebocardo

I think a Husky 372 (Baileys still has them) would be just the ticket. I have a Husky 365 and with a 20-28" bar in pine, it is fast. I was cutting up some pine for a guy that could not handle it with his smaller 20" Echo and he was surprised at the speed and decided to go out and buy one (Husky 365 or 372) from our local dealer.

I usually do not let anyone touch my saws, but, decided to let this customer try it out (after all - he dropped his own trees). He really liked the power to balance, as do I.

If you bought a 372, you would always have the option later of running a 32" bar or milling with a 28" bar the pine you cut down. That might be money into your pocket  8) not having to buy it or using it to help a neighbor.

A 28-32" inch bar is perfect in pine for lopping off branches quickly by reaching over the side of the log without bending over.

My local saw dealer (if you go there - buy there) has logs where you can try out the various saws. I think the MS440 makes a nice saw in the 20" range if you are looking for something a bit lighter.

I think the Husky saws have better vib. protection and the Stihls have better balance. I know "balance" is a hard thing to describe, but, if you test two like saws side by side, not only doing a cross cut but notches, the balance issue can be felt.

Max sawdust

Quote from: jokers on July 09, 2006, 10:11:53 AM
I don`t believe the "E" in 350E is for Easy Start, I believe that it refers to the ETech emissions controls the saw has. Easy2Start is the Stihl term for recoil assisted starting.

I am not sure what is going on.  Went to the Husky site and no mention of "e" for anything.  Go to Norwalk website and the have the 345"e"  "easy start" saw.  Which they claim has a spring assisted recoil and air purge. I have seen  a 350"e" in the store and the box claimed spring assisted recoil.  However the Norwalk site just has the 350 which they say is easy start, but it only has the air purge  :o

So I am not sure what the correct answer is.  Not even sure if their is a right answer for the "e" dilemma :D
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

jokers

Quote from: Max sawdust on July 10, 2006, 07:56:39 AM
Quote from: jokers on July 09, 2006, 10:11:53 AM

I am not sure what is going on.  Went to the Husky site and no mention of "e" for anything.  Go to Norwalk website and the have the 345"e"  "easy start" saw.  Which they claim has a spring assisted recoil and air purge. I have seen  a 350"e" in the store and the box claimed spring assisted recoil.  However the Norwalk site just has the 350 which they say is easy start, but it only has the air purge  :o

So I am not sure what the correct answer is.  Not even sure if their is a right answer for the "e" dilemma :D
max
Well obviously the 345E exists and it is as you say, an Easy Start model, something that I am unfamiliar with. Glad that I didn`t call you some deragatory name and make ill reference toward your pedigree.  :D

It looks as if Husky is creating their own confusion by selling ETech saws with a big E plainly visible on them when they are also using the E to denote another entirely different feature on some models.

ron

Well I bought the 350. Started cutting this weekend. The saw did bog down occasionally in some of the larger trees but overall it worked quite well for my purposes. Wouldn't recommend it for someone who uses a saw a lot to cut larger trees but for someone like myself who does some occasional cutting it was great and I don't regret not getting the 455.

Max sawdust

Ron,
What are you running for chain and bar ???

I highly recommend the narrow kerf chain and bar for a saw your size.  I run the Oregon 95VP and appropriate bar on my 346.
(This is pro grade, so if you do not feel comfortable/training with the increase risk of kickback it is not recommended.) 

Also what size bar ???  It is my opinion that anything over 16" on a saw your size will cause you to bog down.  At least for me;) 
Max

;)
True Timbers

ron

I have the 18" bar and chain that came with the saw

SawTroll

Quote from: oldsaw on July 02, 2006, 10:18:08 PM
I think you may want to step up another size if the trees are that big.  Something on the north side of 60cc.  ...
I believe that a good 60 cc class saw, like Stihl MS361, Husky 357xp or even Husky 359, would be just the ticket for that size trees.
Information collector.

jokers

Quote from: SawTroll on August 01, 2006, 06:51:17 AM
Quote from: oldsaw on July 02, 2006, 10:18:08 PM
I think you may want to step up another size if the trees are that big.  Something on the north side of 60cc.  ...
I believe that a good 60 cc class saw, like Stihl MS361, Husky 357xp or even Husky 359, would be just the ticket for that size trees.
Agreed! I especially like the 361.

Max sawdust

OK OK I give :(
For the occasional user with one saw I will agree from now on ;D  Especially if one has a 40cc class saw with an 18 inch bar and low kickback safety chain, and does not sharpen it regularly, you will be underpowered  ::)
However I still feel small high performance saws are not to be beat for performance and agility with the right user ;)
346xp is not underpowered bucking this firewood, or brushing and limbing on a logging job in a northern hardwood forest.

max
True Timbers

SawTroll

Agreed! I especially like the 361.
:) Good that we can agree on something from time to time! 8)

Have you ever compared these saws for ripcutting from the side of the log?

I think the MS 361 really shine for that application, due to the inboard cluch, and the tidy inside of the cluch cover. My Husky 353 is close to useless for that, due to clogging under the cover...
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!