iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neighbor has Large Silver Maple

Started by Left Coast Chris, July 22, 2006, 07:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Our neigbor has a very large (5' Diameter) Silver Maple that broke a limb at the crotch and is having the tree taken down by a tree crew since it is so close to the house.  It looks like there is about 5' of straight trunk that could be sawn. :o

In looking at the wood it is obviously soft maple.  Anyone know if it is worth sawing and is it generally stable wood?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ironwood

Don't just look to the "straight " trunk. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Tom

Reid's trying to get you to saw that limb crotch.  I agree. 
8) :)

jackpine

Farmer77

I've sawn several silver maple logs for various customers and have found it to be very nice wood. Some have even had a curly grain :) As to how it dries I have not tried to dry any myself so of no help there.
BTW, "soft maple" is a little of a misnomer as the heartwood is very hard and has the best grain.

metalspinner

I just finished building my kitchen cabinets with silver maple. It is very beautiful wood and is quite stable.  The log was about the size you mentioned but 8' long.  I got many 20" wide boards 4/4 boards that dried flat without checking or any other drying degrade.  It machines wonderfully.  There is a great color pallet throughout the log along with ambosia bettle marking, curly figure, and crotch stuff.  I have one board left from that entire tree.  Don't know if I will ever want to use it.  It looks nice just leaning against my shop wall.  ;D
Here is a sneak peak at one of the cabinets.  I'm still waiting for some hardware to come in to put the finishing touches on it...

As mentioned by Tom, don't forget the crotches and limbs!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Left Coast Chris

Thanks guys.    It is definately unique wood.  I do not have the log(s) yet but we put a small piece through the jointer and it had some quilting............. wow!

Metalspinner: great cabinets!  There are plenty of crotches....I will give it a try.

Reid:  Im not too sure about the limbs...... they are pretty straight but all are leaning with heart center way off center ................ assuming lots of internal stress.     Since you suggest....I'll try some to see how it dries.   

Thanks all.   I plan to take some pics......will attempt to post.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

metalspinner

Mill those branches extra thick.  you will need the extra 1/4" in the workshop at the jointer. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

urbanlumberinc

You'll be impressed with the hardness of this "soft" maple species.  We've got alot of em around denver that are getting near the end of their lives.  Lately, only about 1 log in 10 is solid all the way through.  Seems the drought we've been in the last 6 years has done a number on the maples around here.

rebocardo

metalspinner, that looks great!  8)

I agree about the crotches (know nothing about maples). Until people mentioned it, I thought it was junk wood, now i know better.

jpgreen

Chris- doesn't your brother have a swing mill to slice up that beauty?

How you doing with the heat over there?  Man it's been hot here..  ::)

I'll be in Redding Thursday and Friday in an airconditioned bubble..  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Left Coast Chris

Jp..... my brother will not bring the swing blade out of Viola...he originally said he would but since the temps are hitting 110 degrees every day with some humidity down here, strangely enough I haven't seen hide nor hair of him.   I have a 48" x 8'6" valley oak waiting for him too.  Can't blame him. :D

As for the Silver Maple.......... with these temps I figure I will need to saw them fast, sticker and put them in the barn with a tarp over all but the ends to keep it from drying too fast.   My plan is to quarter the log with the husky best I can and put it on the band mill.  Some waste but I would like some wide pieces anyway.  The tree flares out enough at the ground Im thinking it might have some compression grain................always optimistic.

Regarding the heat........... ouch!  I only work for a couple of hours at a time then jump into the pool which has heated up to 94 degrees.   Bath water.  I guess we will just have to ride it out.  The fire in Shasta Lake city is causing evacuations......not fun.   If you ever have time........ you are welcome to stop in ..............Im usually here after 5 or 6.   Hope you have AC in your truck or car........   

Thank You Sponsors!