iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you tow with a towbar?

Started by bitternut, August 12, 2006, 06:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

I am  junking my old S15  4 x 4 and plan on making a tow bar to tow it to the junk yard with my newer truck. I have some scrap metal to construct the tow bar but I am wondering what you do about the front wheels. The truck is an automatic so the key has to be in the on position to put the tranny in neutral which unlocks the steering. Do I need to have some one steer the old truck or do you just rope off the steering with the wheels straight? Never towed with a tow bar. Always did it the scary way with a rope or chain and two drivers. Figure there should be some one in this group that has used a tow bar before and could give me some good advice.

Radar67

I've always took the driveshaft out before towing with a tow bar.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sprucebunny

Just leave the key on and give 'er a try. Some vehicles will follow right along and some the caster or something is different and the wheels will get stuck in the turned position when you go around a hard cornor  :o If yours is like that you could tie the wheel to limit the turning....maybe.....

A friend and I towed a 53 GMC pickup to Colo. from NH.... every time we had to maneuver, I had to get in the GMC with the St.Bernard and steer ::) On the trip home i towed a 53 Chev pickup ( with a 50 Chev ;D )and it followed fine.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

I never made a tow bar but have hauled many with a rented tow bar.Do not rope off the steering wheel.The steering wheel has to turn so the truck will fellow you.No one needs to be in the truck,the front wheels will turn which ever way you are.You don't have to worry.In this state it is against the law to have someone in a car that is being towed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

Most Junkyards will tow it for free just to get it, some may give you 50 dollars or more. ;)

bitternut

Thanks for the info guys ( and gals ). I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine that has towed with a tow bar for years and he told me the same thing as thecfarm. He also offered to let me use his towbar so now I won't even have to make one.

Mooseherder the junk yards close to me won't come get them. They are paying $70 a ton for anything that you can drag or drive in. They also will deduct $2 for every tire that you leave with the vehicle. My tires are good so I am going to take the wheels and tires off and keep them when I get there. The wheels are aluminum and are worth at least $10 apiece for scrap. Will probably keep them and use them for trailer wheels on the bandmill I hope to make some day.

gary

A couple of tips for when you  take it to the junk yard. Soak the inside with as much water as you can this will add alot of weight. Load it up with as much as you can  old stoves, washing machines ,dryers any old metal for more weight.

SwampDonkey

As TheCfarm said, you can rent them at the garage. An S15 was my first vehicle I ever bought. Had it 10 years and sold it, then it was used for another 4 years as far as I know. They had a good motor, but it wasn't very strong. The body would rust bad around the fenders and cab corners. I don't see any old ones left on the road anymore, at one time they were very popular around here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bitternut

This truck is a 91 4x4 extended cab with the 4.3 vortec v6 and there is at least 300k miles on it. It has the electronic dash and the odometer quit working a couple of years ago when it was  close to clicking over the 300k. The odometer would flicker for a while and then once in a while it would start working properly. The dash lights would also take a break on you every once in a while  and you would be flying blind.

The body on this truck has rusted real bad and I am afraid that if I put any old iron into the box that it would fall through before I got to the scales. I have been getting ribbed about it for several years but as far as running it was a great truck ( but rusty ). I only put brakes on the back once and the front rotors lasted well over 200k miles. That is why I am so disappointed in my 2002 2500HD which has been the worst vehicle I ever owned.  Rear brakes twice and front brakes once in 47K miles. Anyways I told myself I would drive the S15 till it died but it never really did. It has just gotten so rusted that the body is falling off around it and it really is not safe. If you ever hit anything with it you would probably just have a large pile of flaky rust.

SwampDonkey

Mine was a 1987 4x4 2.8 litre V6. A four cylender Toyota Tacoma had more power. But, I did manage to achieve 120 km/hr with a uhaul in toe. Had oversized tires, so 100 km/hr, was actually 120 km/hr. Officer, get in, I'll show ya it's only 100 km/hr. ;D Dash lights were always burning out on mine (well replaced a few a couple times), so ya had to dismantle and install new bulbs. My father's 1990 GMC lost it's odometer at about 200,000 km and that was years ago. Still running it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scsmith42

Ditto TheCFarm and your buddy's advice.

Also, you need to either disconnect the drive shaft or have the motor running and idling.  The reason is that the oil pump in the automatic transmission is operated off of the motor, and if you tow anything other than a very short distance the spinning rear shaft on the tranny will overheat and not only burn up the tranny, it can start a fire.

Good luck.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

He is probably not worried about cooking the transmission on the way to the junkyard ;D The risk of fire would be low on a short haul. I once towed a car close to 800 miles, half of that through the mountains. The rented towbar butted to the bumper and two chains ran under the front to hook to the frame. One of the chain adjusting bolts, a low grade replacement,  stretched and jammed the nut so I was unable to keep it tight which made left turns interesting to say the least. Don't recommend that type for anything but a short low speed haul.
Actually, that is illegal here because the car would be considered a two axle trailer which requires brakes operated from the tow vehicle although the RV guys do it all the time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

> The truck is an automatic so the key has to be in the on position to
> put the tranny in neutral which unlocks the steering.

Put it in N, crawl under and disconnect the linkage, which is easy on a GM.

Tow trucks use X crossed bungie cords to return the wheel to center when left in the on position.

Myself, I usually just drop the driveshaft on a truck.

When using a tow bar, run a piece of 5/16 chain around the rear bumper and front bumper in case the towed vehicle tries to escape.

VA-Sawyer

It's a 4X4 ! Put the transfer case in neutral, tow it where you want without any transmission issues. Read the Owners Manual for conformation. Turning the key on unlocks the steering wheel on the S-10. It doesn't need the tranny in neutral for steering!
VA-Sawyer

bitternut

Well I read the owners manual as VA-Sawyer suggested and they say to align the wheels straight with the transmission in park and the ignition to the off position. Then use a clamping device on the steering wheel to keep the wheels straight. Then shift the transfer case to neutral. They say it can then be towed up to 50 miles at speeds under 35mph with out any damage to the transmission ( not really worried about that ). Hard to believe I have owned this thing for 15 years and never knew how to tow it. I only have to travel about 20 miles with it so I should be able to get it there without incident.

VA-Sawyer

It sounds like it still runs.... why not just drive it to the junkyard ? Have a friend follow to bring you and the wheels back home.

scsmith42

VA Sawyer - I read your response and thought "well, DUH Scott - just put the transfer case in neutral - why didn't I think of that?!"
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!