iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Eresto, Hunting, Saw Milling and Vacation

Started by submarinesailor, August 29, 2006, 06:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Look Out Here Comes Ernesto

According to the National Hurricane Center's 0500 report, Ernesto will be coming into Florida about 2 AM Wednesday, moving back out to sea about 2 AM Thursday, back inland south Charleston, SC sometime the afternoon of Thursday and then coming up thru North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The bad part of all this is we were planning on smoothing out the river crossing Friday morning with a big saw milling afternoon.  With squirrel season opening on Saturday, we had planned on hunting in the morning, sawing in the afternoon with BBQ squirrel for dinner.

Depending on just how much rain we get, the crossing could get a little rough (AGAIN) and we may get rained out on the hunting.  We finally have the mill completely under roof so we "should" be able to saw.  But if it rains too much, we don't what to get stuck on the other side of the river – got to get that bridge built one of these days.

The irony of it all is that we need the rain bad, but why on my first vacation days in 9 months.  Yep, I finally got some time off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

scsmith42

Bummer...

I was planning to make my final hay cutting this weekend.  Guess that will be postponed...

Not as bad an impact to me as to you though - hope that you don't get too wet hunting.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

swampy

Well, for us it wasn't that bad. A little bit of wind and some rain. We are still going though it but it's not bad at all.
The one we are worried about is the one that just came off the coast of Africa. but nobody is talking about this one yet.
Hope you get the best out of your vacation. :)
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Qweaver

I ate a lot of squirrel as a kid, usually simmered for a long time in gravy to get em' tender... but never tried to BBQ them.  Do you boil them for a while first?  We've got a good crop of them this year and I plan on thinnin' them out some.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

gary

I brown mine in a skillet then debone it. Then I put it in a crock pot with bbq sauce

Tom

I like young squirrel for breakfast.   We would bass fish in the early morning and come back to camp about 9, shoot a few squirrels and undress them.  Cut them into quarters, salt, pepper, and flour with a dash of cayenne.  Fry them in bacon grease as a side to a big breakfast of grits, biscuits, eggs and fresh hot coffee. 

Back to bass speck and bream fishing by noon with left-over squirrel and biscuit sandwiches to hold us over till fish could be fried for supper. ;D

submarinesailor

Tom,

You're making me hungry.   

Here's another thread that gone from hurricanes to FOOD.

Bruce

getoverit

I'm right in the middle of Ernesto right now.. a few little gusts of wind, some bands of heay rains, but nothing to write home about.... we got lucky on this one ;)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

getoverit

well, it is morning, the skies are gray and eerything is thoroughly wet from all of the rain but I dont see any downed trees or other damage.

I did get a better inspection of my sawlogs this morning from the local inspectors. I think they were pleased with what they saw too ;)

:)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Mooseherder

We got 3 times more rain this afternoon than we did yesterday.
Must a been a trail along rainband. :D

scsmith42

GOI - I always thought that most inspectors were a bunch of turkeys...  glad to see that you've posted proof!  :D  :D  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sandman2234

Hurricane? Did we have a hurricane?
   Durn, missed out on another chance to fire up the generator and run it.
      Guess I ought to pay more attention to the weather station. Probably the only business in the world you can be wrong 80% of the time and still keep your job.Weatherman???
    David from jax

Thank You Sponsors!