iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to be a costly winter

Started by D._Frederick, August 29, 2006, 12:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

Fuel oil is about $3 a gallon here in Oregon and the price has doubled in a little over 2 year. Its going to be a costly winter to keep warm.

I have been wondering about a heating systems that will burn corn, what is happening to the price of shelled corn?  A system to burn corn is about $6-8 thousand range, would hate to spend that much and find that corn is $500 a ton.

Snag

Dont know about Oregon, but I saw a price here recently and it was approx $250/ton.

Burlkraft

Ethanol is gonna drive the price higher too ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ronwood

In the midwest corn is running around $2.00 per bushel. My brother bought one of those corn furnances last winter. Seemed to work well.  They need to work in improving the efficiency of the unit.

I myself prefer my CB wood furnace.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

GF

When I was looking for an alternative heat source to heat with other than propane, I thought about a pellet stove, and corn etc.  After some thought I decided to use wood, I can cut wood any time and not have to rely on having to purchase it from a store, supply and demand always seems to raise prices, and the choice I made using wood has eliminated the supply and demand issue.

If I produced my own corn my decision may have been different.  I am just fed up with businesses gouging people just because they can.

mike_van

I remember a thread last December about pellets - The price went through the roof, stores were limiting people to 6 bags. Unless I made pellets, that'd be last on my list to use. I'll stick with wood & coal.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Modat22

Liquified natural gas is going to go up as well, stocks are trading higher for the LNG options meaning that there is speculation that the US will be switching more of its oil and coil fired industry over to cleaner burning LNG.
remember man that thy are dust.

submarinesailor

LNG or LPG?

Liquidified natural gas?

Liquidified propane gas?

gary

My natural gas went up $600.00 last year.  I have been thinking about biodeisel for home heating but haven't researched it yet.

tlooney

I heat with wood and I got a lot of it. Just got done moving about two cord into the woodshed this last weekend. I don't know why but what fool would haul firewood when it is 95 degrees out?  Well my wife can answer that question for ya. ;D
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Faron

I bought a corn stove last fall.  I am pretty happy with it.  I also have a woodburning furnace, a Hardy.  The corn stove was great to sit in front of after a hard day. 8)  Corn in our area is running $2.10 a bushel, or about $75 per ton.  I expect corn will get below $2.00 this fall, but it should raise by spring, especially with the new ethanol plants coming on line.  How high will it get?  Maybe $3.00 or better, but I doubt we will see any $4.00 corn, though I sure hope it does.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Ron Wenrich

I saw a corn burner last year at an alternative energy show.  The only problem that I saw was that the corn had to be processed to where it was nearly dust free.  You can't just take hulled corn and throw it into the burner without having some problems. 

But, you can grow corn in your backyard for a pretty low cost.  What other feedstock can one of those units use? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Modat22

Quote from: submarinesailor on August 29, 2006, 04:51:04 PM
LNG or LPG?

Liquidified natural gas?

Liquidified propane gas?

LNG Liquified natural gas, but I'd assume LPG will also go up.
remember man that thy are dust.

jgoodhart

Propane here is 2.70 per gallon :-\, way up from years past. We use propane for cooking and hot water heater. Another month and the ouside boiler will be making all the hot water and propane usage drops to near nothing, that wipes the smile of the propane guys face ;D.

Radar67

Butane here is $1.95 a gallon. Last year before the storm it was $1.45.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ronwood

Purchase propane in the tank last week for $1.64 gallon. Wonder why there is such a big difference?
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

submarinesailor

Ron,

I can think of 2 possible reasons for it being cheaper in your area.
1.  You could be located near a natural gas area and the associated processing plant, so real shipped distance.  Propane is one of the by-products that falls into the "natural gas liquids" market.
2.  Or you could be located in an area that has a bunch of large dealers, making the local market very competitive.

Bruce

beenthere

Could have booked LP at 1.49 for this coming season. But haven't yet used last seasons 350 gallons, and even have a 17 gallon carryover from 2004 season. So planning to get by without any booked (paid for in advance) this year. That is some incentive to cut wood, for sure.
All forms of fuel will rise together, pretty much.

I don't like to see the large range in fuel prices, but can't blame the truck driver who delivers it. He only is a laborer working for his wages, and probably complains just as much about the high prices.   ::) 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

submarinesailor

Ron,

I think Stew also hit the nail on its head.  I just checked the propane futures market and it closed today at $1.12 all across the board.

Bruce

Frank_Pender

Don, why don't you consider a Wood/pellet combination, or wood and fuel oil or some such combination.  I know that Taylor hotwater furnaces provide wuch combinations.
Frank Pender

D._Frederick

Frank, I am using a hydronic heating system that require a closed  system that has temperature in 180-220 F. range, you can't get that kind of heat out of the Taylor boiler. 

I have about 15 acres of timber and bought a husqvarna 372 so I won't freeze as long as I can get some 55 gallon barrels to make a heater.

Frank_Pender

No one has told my Taylor that.  I keep it at 180 plus for the house and well as the one for the kiln. 8)
Frank Pender

caryr

If our wood stove wasn't working so well I would get one of these. I may still get one for the new shop, outbuilding and kiln.

D._Frederick

Has anyone done any research on the type of furnace that Mark M. was installing before his death? If I remember correctly, it was a boiler that heated by gassification process.

Thank You Sponsors!