iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rita, revisited

Started by Texas Ranger, September 05, 2006, 10:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

A couple of shots I found on my camera from Rita damage to a clients land.  Not what you saw out of New Orleans, or Beaumont with Rita, but consider that one years production of Texas pine timber went down like this.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodwalker

TR,
Been trying my best to forget about pictures like those.  Saw quite enough in the forty some odd days we worked during Katrina and Rita. Andrew was the first major storm I took a camera to. Shoot about thirty rolls of film. Each successive storm I have shoot less pictures. Ivan was about 16 rolls, Katrina six rolls, Rita only three. Most all of the latter are people shots. You get tired of seeing the destruction and devastation of peoples lives and property.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Texas Ranger

Yup, but, unfortunately, we are still feeling the effects of it with low timber prices, declining markets, loss of good loggers, etc.  That first picture may have given you some work, about a mile of highline down with the likes of the first picture.

Bro. Noble

What were pine prices just before those storms,  six months ago,  and now? 

What are the forcasted prices in the coming year or two?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

In order of your question:  $350.00, more or less free, and $285.00 per thousand board feet.

Texas timber prices have taken a hit for the past five years are so, and Rita like to have finished it off.

highpockets

Six or seven years ago there were about 40 log trucks passing my house daily. Now maybe three of four.  It amazes me how the industry in our neck of the woods has gone down. I'm right across Toledo Bend Lake from the East Texas Pineywoods. 

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Riles

I've been driving a 60 mile stretch of I-20 every day for a year now across north Louisiana, and my gut feeling is that the number of logging trucks on the road is picking up. I passed the Weyerhauser OSB plant one day, and they had a whack o' logs that would make Kirk Allen swoon. But I was told they were doing that to keep their loggers in business. They certainly had a steady stream of trucks coming into the plant. Maybe things are picking up a little.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!