iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Lathe?

Started by getoverit, September 27, 2006, 06:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I'm really exploring now, and wondered if anybody here has built a log lathe similar to THIS ONE ??

I have been turning down free pine logs almost on a daily basis, but it looks like an investment (or some time building something similar to this one) might be something that might pay off.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Part_Timer

WM makes one that attaches to a band mill.  You we're wondering what to do with those extra motors you had laying around.  Get to building. 8)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

The first thing I did when I saw this one was to check out wood-mizer's site for their lathe... it only does logs with a maximum of 8'4" long :(

Not long enough to build a log cabin with...

It looks like it this one rolls on a standard bandmill track and then has a couple of attachments to debark and then true the log... shouldnt be that hard to build one to fit my hydraulic mill I got from Flip :D

I can see a use for one of those 12hp briggs engines already :)

mike_van

It works pretty slick in the video - I'll bet you can keep a man busy all day shoveling the chips away though -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Furby

I belive Bibby said WM now has an exstension for the lathe, 4' if I recall.

getoverit

Did you notice the wide belt under that mill to remove all of the wood chips? It looks like they are moved out to the end of the mill. I guess a FEL could pick up the chips and dispose of them from there...

Burlkraft

Soon as I'm up and around I'll let ya know how it works ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Ron Wenrich

When we want log cabin logs, we just take 6x8 pine cants and have them milled down.  We get a T&G for the top and bottom, a flat side for the interior wall, and a round side for the exterior wall.

Sure beats the price of a log lathe and we get other material from the side cuts.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

getoverit

I have looked at that too, Ron. It would probably be easier for me to mill them into cants and may even be better if the inside wall was flat too.

How important is it for the pith to be centered in the logs?

Ron Wenrich

For longer logs, its pretty important.  Shorter logs aren't as important.  I box my hearts on pine so there isn't much of a problem.  Crooked logs yield crooked lumber when dry.

When you construct one of these cabins, you have to get your T&G to line up and you have to nail them together with 12" spikes.  You also foam and caulk the joints.  If you have any twist or bend in the log, you have problems getting everything to set just right.  Then, your problems compound as you build the wall. 

Sawing things right the first time gives you better results.  Cutting corners gives you more yield but less quality.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Kind of related to the lathe is the peeler. I've seen old aspen veneer peelers, where the veneer was used for strawberry boxes. Quite interesting to see the process from log to box.  :)

George Staples ( Frobisher Industries Limited) in WATERBOROUGH, New Brunswick has quite a setup. He's at 6260 route 105. I've been there about 20 years ago on tour. He makes baskets, boxes and such.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jpgreen

I'm going with 6 x 8's infill between my posts and rough beveling the edges with a plane. I'll put all the walls up, and then let them check and twist as they may, then Perma-Chink and stain next year.

Permachink people claim with their product, you don't have to us a groove or seal between the logs.

I'd like to build a lathe also Ken.  Lathe's are pretty simple machines, just need one on steroids.. :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

firecord

Fla._Deadheader

Purty slick, that Quebec'r one, EH ???.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

getoverit

That is exactly what I had in mind too :)

I think I'm just going to build it as a separate head to my hydraulic mill, and use the hydraulics to turn the log. I can see a 12hp briggs lawnmower engine with a shaper head attached to the shaft being the business end of the project. With the log spinning at a relatively slow rpm and the head running down the rails with the shaper head spinning at high rpm's, I dont see why this wouldnt work and be easy enough to turn a whole log.

One second thought is that this setup might also prove to be a pretty good wide board planer.

SawDust_Studios

Why not?  I used to build cabins out of 8" lincoln logs when I was a kids. Works pretty well.  :D

Quote from: getoverit on September 27, 2006, 06:57:05 PM
The first thing I did when I saw this one was to check out wood-mizer's site for their lathe... it only does logs with a maximum of 8'4" long :(

Not long enough to build a log cabin with...
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

logwalker

You guys have to look at this  HUGE LATHE.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Burlkraft

That is a huge lathe....how'd ya like ta be standin' in that pit with an out of round 10' er spinnin in front of yer face :D :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Words of wisdom from Monty Python....

Run away...  smiley_horserider
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

A little note on the big E-Bay lathe .It lists a Lima drive.I have one exactly like that on a 20 by 48 Boyes and Emmes engine lathe ,circa 1915 or so.These drives were made right here in Lima Ohio and used to retrofit old line shaft machines,with over arm drives.The original design used a model A Ford transmission.

Gus

Good Stuff guys, good stuff indeed! :P 8)
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

amberwood

not a log but a reasonable size lathe.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

sawdust

Long time ago I saw a log peeler made out of a disc. The kind used to farm with it was about 20 inches in diameter and had four wide slots cut in it, the trailing edge of the slots were sharpened. As the disc spun it planed the wood with the sharpened edge. The cutting action caused the log to want to turn, and it was allowed to, against a worn chain pulley that had quite sharp teeth. The pulley was set at an angle so that as the log turned it moved ahead.   

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

getoverit

I had to go back into the hospital to have my arteries roto-rootered again in the old ticker :(... oh well, I'm back and doing fine now.

Man its amazing how big some of these lathe's are !@  Now that I'm feeling a little better, I think I'll get started on the log lathe for the log cabin manufacturing. I'll keep ya posted as things progress.

jpgreen

Whoa-  glad to hear you're OK Ken..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Burlkraft

Quote from: getoverit on October 04, 2006, 12:32:59 AM
I had to go back into the hospital to have my arteries roto-rootered again in the old ticker :(... oh well, I'm back and doing fine now.

Wow ken...I hope yer gonna be okay....... :o :o :o

What...do ya just go in and rooted out every now and then ??? ???

That's one big segmented turning...huh ??? ??? ;D ;D

Take care of yerself and let's have some pics of that lathe as she's goin' together ;D ;D

Wayne P

Getoverit .. i would really like to know how your log lathe is (turning) out :-)
i am thinking about building one and i'm open to anything info

Kbeitz

Quote from: Wayne P on November 27, 2017, 03:17:13 PM
Getoverit .. i would really like to know how your log lathe is (turning) out :-)
i am thinking about building one and i'm open to anything info

Been there... Done that...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Getover it has not been active for 4-5 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!