iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood boring insects and pex tubing.... ever heard of this????

Started by Joel Eisner, October 05, 2006, 01:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Eisner

This is a head scratcher....

We are a few days away from calling for our final inspection on our timber frame home that we have been working on for about 2 years.  Last night we finished all of the hook-ups for the potable water and radiant heating system. 

All of our cold water pex lines are fixed to a horizontal SYP timber as they go back to the mechanical room in our lower level garage/ workshop.  There are about 6+ lines run in parallel.  When I turned on the well pump it started raining along several points on the timber.  After killing the pump I found 3 areas where pencil sized holes went from the timber into the pex tubing.  These were done by the little grub like beatles that eat their way out of the timbers.  This portion of the fram has been in place for about a year now and the pressure test was about 3 months ago.  So they must have completed their life cycle and ended up in the tubing. 

Has anyone every heard of this hapening?  :P At least they were easy fixes.

Joel
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

Modat22

remember man that thy are dust.

Tom

I never heard of it, but, I guess if a California Lead Cable Borer beetle can eat the lead coating of a telephone line, plastic wouldn't be much of an obstacle to a powderpost or other little beetle.  :P :D

Thomas-in-Kentucky

Amazing Joel.  I have never heard of that, but after seeing these little buggers in action, I can now believe it.  Something new to look out for I suppose!

BTW, congrats on getting closer to inhabitability!

-Thomas

Don P

I've had mice eat the wiring insulation, never though about bugs and PEX...how far are you from the nuke?  :D

Max sawdust

Wow never in a million years would I think that could happen.  Especially not in one spot but in three :o  Well on the bright side it was better to have it happen now than later ;)
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Raphael

I'm sure you weren't to pleased when it started raining, but it's definately got a humorous side and think of the possibilities...  "Eisner's patented wood boring insect traps".  ;D

Congrats on the completion!
I suspect final inspection will be one of those mind altering moments, hope you're enjoying it.  :)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Furby

Actually I've seen something along this line many times.
If I hang a plastic bag of acorns in the barn over the winter, the grubs will chew through the bottom of the bag to get out.
First couple of times I thought it was mice, but then I started to pay closer attention and realized it was the grubs.

Joel Eisner

Well at least the three holes were relatively easy fixes.  The hard one was the double nail hole through a pex supply that was above some drywall blocking around a timber.  That took some surgery.

We are a few days from the final.  The radiant heat is on and the place is toasty.  Just a few items left on the essential punch list.  We are moving the stuff in tomorrow and then will camp at the in-laws until the CO.  The inspectors have been very kind and are allowing us to store our stuff on-site before the CO.  It is great to see the place come together.  Now I could use a little sleep.

Joel

The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!