iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strapping Systems--What and where to buy?

Started by SawDust_Studios, October 06, 2006, 08:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawDust_Studios

Ok, we are getting to the point where we need to start shipping lumber.  I'm looking into strapping lumber.  What does everyone use?

So far, I like the poly plastic, cause it seems to have enough strength 600-800lbs or the poly cord which goes to about 1500lbs with tensioners.  Also, plastic won't have the corrosive affects that metal has on the lumber.

What does everyone use and what is a good source to buy the materials and tools?

THANKS!

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Den Socling

We went with plastic. It's not as strong as steel, of course, but it's strong enough. And plastic doesn't gouge or stain. It we were shipping truckloads of green lumber I might be using steel to avoid spills but, for occasional packs of 'better' stock, plastic works.

When I was looking, U-line had the best prices. The only problem with U-line is that they send a catalog about every week once you have made a purchase. We had to call them to tell them to stop.

Ga_Boy

I got the poly system from Bailey's.  The one I use is the truckers pack, it only cost about $100 to get me started.

I beleive this stuff is rated to 3000 lbs.  Strong enough for me, I used it to strap 110 Pine 8X8's about a month ago and it did just fine.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

SawDust_Studios

Thanks guys.  Just seems poly is the most logical for wood smaller wood applications.  I'll probably use it to ship lumber and to put the occassional strap on bundles when I deliver them so the fork driver doesn't toss everything all over my trailer  :(

dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

BBTom

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

SawDust_Studios

Bought the one from Baileys tonight.  I stayed with the manual tensioner for now. So I'll see how that works.  The strapping is the kind that uses the buckles, so tension isn't absolutely necessary, but I'll be putting it on. If the manual tension isn't sufficient, I'll purchase the mechanical one, which is another $100.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

SawDust_Studios

Well, I finally had a chance to use my poly strapping system from Baileys Today... Thanks Ga_Boy...   It works great.   8)

I was a bit worried that the manual tensioner wouldn't get the job done and I'd have to spend another $100 to get the hand tensioner, but was suprised when it pulled the stacks of oak together nice and tight with one band.   

Great investment for $100...  I also bought some extra banding and clips to why I was at it.

Ga_Boy

Dave,

I had the same concern about the manual tensioner.  I had to watch the video to figure out how to use it  :P, afther that it works well.

I am on my second roll of strapping, I will need a new box of buckles here soon. 

I like the bag the most, it keeps everything in one place, just grab the bag and go.   

I did replace the strapping cutter with a utility knife the cutter blade broke the second time I used it.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

mur

Yea, the Bailey's system is good.  Simple and effective.  I use an empty five gallon oil pail (cleaned out!) with the lid off to keep all the buckles, tightener, cutter and strapping together.  The bucket handle makes it easy to haul it around.  My Bailey's bag grew wings on about day three and have not seen it since. 
Don't dream it, be it.

Thank You Sponsors!