iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walkerized Saws

Started by Mark M, January 22, 2003, 09:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Does anyone have experience with Walkerized saws? I am thinking about getting a Walkerized Husky 365. It is supposed to run about 4.4 hp vs. 3.4 for an unmodified 365. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. I am also considering a stock Stihl MS 440.

Thanks

Mark Mathys

dan-l-b

Hey Mark, never heard of walkerized until the forum.  I wanted to pass you thier website:  8) 8)http://www.walkerssawshop.com/index2.html  
Good luck
Dan

Dennis

Mark, Walkers build a heck of a saw for the money they charge.  

I build saws as well.  I actually just finished a Husky 365 special and it turned out real nice...approximately a 30% gain going by cutting times.

Modified chainsaws run cooler, cleaner and last longer as a result than their stock counterparts.

Email me if you are interested in more information.

Dennis
Just Log It.

Oregon_Rob

Mark,
Saw building doesn't get talked about much on this site, but Dennis has a very good reputation on other sites as a A1 saw builder, even among other builders. Although I haven't had him do any work for me, I have followed his and others work via on going discussions for the last year or so.
I know if it were me and someone I don't know posted that he was willing to do the work, I would not be likely to do it, but I don't think you have anything to worry about if you go through Dennis.

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

Dennis

Thanks for the good words Rob.  I looked at the way I came across and yep...I prolly wouldnt deal with me either....lol...once my website is done it will make things easier...

Dennis
greffardsaw@mercuryspeed.com
Hotsaws by Den
250-674-3562
Just Log It.

Skully

I have a walkerized 372xp, could not be happier.  For 120 dollars american it's a hell of a deal.  Never ran a saw from Dennis, or Ken Dunn or Dan Henry to name a few, but have heard that these are all top notch guys to have work on your saw.

jokers

I have a Walkerized 346xp that I love and I concur that you won`t find a better professional modification for the money, then on the other hand.... I have a 385xp and 357xp done by Dennis that are truly impressive and bulletproof saws. I have complete faith in Dennis` abilities to deliver the product, in fact he recently built an MS260 Pro for me as well but he has to hold on to it for a bit so I haven`t had a chance to run it yet. Got a little problem with visible inventory and divisable assets to be worked out :'(. Russ

Dennis

Russ....ooops...are you saying you don't want this tracking number? lol... www.canadapost.ca  #cx 007 120 855 ca
I sent it to the Wilcox addy.  I would presume you will have it early in the week....
Just Log It.

Rick Schmalzried

Dennis,
I have 3 older stihls I have thought about having modified, but the engineer/geek/etc in me makes me want to do it myself so I know how it is done.  Are you willing to share how it is done?  Are there retrofit parts you install or do you modify the stock parts?  If retrofit parts, are you willing to sell them for installation by others?

I am not looking to get into the business of modifying saws, I just would like to know how to get the most out of my existing equipment.

--Rick
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Dennis

Rick....if you want to get some quick power and performance, modify your muffler....if Russ could post some pics here of modified mufflers, you will see what I mean...I can't figure out how to get my pics on here without them being the size of postage stamps.

Just Log It.

Tom

Dennis, Pictures aren't so hard.  Click on the link below and it will take you to the Knowledge Base article that explains how.

Knowledge Base Link for Pictures

If you really get in a bind attach the picture to an email and send it to me and I'll prepare it for you.

Weekend_Sawyer

Dennis,
Please tell us more about muffler modifying. Can I modify the existing factory muffler or replace it with something that looks like it came off of a dirt bike.

I have an 066. Don't know the year, I bought it used. It is a great saw starts and runs fine... but if I could squeze a few more HP out by modifying the muffler... well who wouldent!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Dennis

Weekend...well you could put a dirt bike pipe on your saw yes...but you need to remove all the inside baffles and tune it for your engine...creates about 60% more HP...but you don't want to cut firewood with it....strictly race...
However, you can gain some power by removing the baffles inside your muffler...and building an extra port...your 066..is it a Mag? is there and exhaust outlet on the front of the muffler as well as the side? If so, the job is pretty much done for you.  You can increase the size of those two ports, and that will help a bit.

I am still working on this picture optimizing thing...I am by no means a computer guy...lol
Just Log It.

Weekend_Sawyer

I was not typing well, I should have said that I do not want a motorcycle muffler hanging off of it. Not that there is anything wrong with that :D

My 066 is not a magnum. I'll take a look at the baffles and ports. Thanks.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

village-moron

I know what the modified mufflers dennis is talking about look like. They are your basic muffler, with 2 rather large ports on the front corners set at like a 45 degree angle or something like that. they make your saw really powerful, and they give it a badass look as well. gotta see if there is a muffler like that available for my 2375 by poulan HAHA. I really dont know what the heck I was thinking when I bought that little thing. I would love to trade it in on a new stihl ms390 or the like.
town moron

redpowerd

dennis, will you only dennisize new saws, whats the oldest you have rebuilt? thanks!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dennis

Red...the newer the saw the better, but that is not to say older ones can't be done..each saw is different, and needs to be approached individually...even new ones...what is it you have that you are considering?
Just Log It.

redpowerd

my good buddy died and left me an 032av that i cant part with.  for now, thats the only saw i have that i plan on keeping. if i could find a newer 036pro or an 044 reasonalbly, id like to beef them up too. thanx!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

dozerdan

redpowerd
 I always liked the 032 and I also built a few of them. Saws of that age will have to be completely disassembled and rebuilt from the ground up. The price for all that work on a saws of that age would probable discourage you from having it built.
 The 032 was produced from 1978-1985.
 I would suggest that you save that saw and invest in a saw of newer design.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

John_Boisselier

Hi Dennis,
  What do you charge U.S. dollars to build an 066 mag to your specs.  What is necessary for shipping across the border etc.  Thanks, John
The Woodsman

Bobcat_pa

Jokers: what  mod/s did Walker do to your 346xp ?    

Bobcat_pa

Are there "side effects" to some of these mods ?     Or, is the results all good with and nothing negative.      

Captain

I bought some Walkerized mufflers from John Walker for my 066 Mag and 046.  Great bolt on performance.  Everyone that knows saws who see them cut is very impressed.

They were great folks to deal with, had the mufflers from Canada in about 5 days.

Captain

jokers

Hi Bobcat

I`d be lying if I told you what mods that Walkers do becuase frankly I don`t remember. What I do remember is that John Walker is very obliging and will tell you everything that they will do to your saw. I do believe that the biggest gains come from their modifed mufflers which also cause your saw to run cooler and last longer.

Whether or not the mods will cause your saw to wear out sooner has been hotly debated by many. My perspective is that most people don`t even bother to re-ring a saw, so they are throwing away alot of unused life. Most saws going to the bone pile have servicable bottoms. If the bottom end wears out at about the same time as the rings in a modified saw it wouldn`t be earth shattering in this scenario, but most guys that I know are getting atleast one re-ring out of their modified saws. Think about the increased production you`ve had along the way though, since the pay or payback for most of us isn`t by the hour but rather buy what got cut.

Modified saws sure are nice, but maybe not for everyone.

Russ

redpowerd

i wonder if the walkers have thought about sponsering the forestry forum?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Thank You Sponsors!